986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need help with Fixing new Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3563)

Joji 08-30-2005 08:07 PM

Need help with Fixing new Boxster

Hi,
I found a couple of things wrong with my new car. The back right tail light is out. I figured out how to open it. Do you have to buy the bulbs at the Porsche dealer or can you get them at Homedepot.

The light in the middle near the Convertible latch release works but is extremly loose. Anytips how to fix this.

On the stereo I only have dash speakers. I noticed that the high and hig mids come from the left speaker. And the low end comes from the right speaker. I have not looked into the stereo yet. So it might be set wrong. But is this normal for Dash speakers only. Remind me of old Beatle recordings.

Next is more serious. I notice the Horn does not work. Can I fix this or is this have to be done by a mechanic because of the airbag.

thanks

deliriousga 08-31-2005 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joji
Hi,
I found a couple of things wrong with my new car. The back right tail light is out. I figured out how to open it. Do you have to buy the bulbs at the Porsche dealer or can you get them at Homedepot.

You can get them at any auto parts store. Nothing special about them.

Quote:

The light in the middle near the Convertible latch release works but is extremly loose. Anytips how to fix this.

I don't know off hand. I can look into it if nobody else has worked with it, but it will be tomorrow since today is my anniversary. No working on the car tonight.

Quote:

On the stereo I only have dash speakers. I noticed that the high and hig mids come from the left speaker. And the low end comes from the right speaker. I have not looked into the stereo yet. So it might be set wrong. But is this normal for Dash speakers only. Remind me of old Beatle recordings.

Doesn't sound normal. Probably the settings in the stereo.

Quote:

Next is more serious. I notice the Horn does not work. Can I fix this or is this have to be done by a mechanic because of the airbag.

Most likely the relay or fuse. Check the fuse box (there should be a layout sheet in th cover to the fuse box) for a blown fuse first. If that's ok, replace the relay. The relay is #10 in the relay panel under the dash. The relay panel is right behind the fuse box and is not covered. The horn relay Porsche part number is 141 951 253 B. It's cheap, about $15 at a dealer or $7 at Radio Shack. One of those two should take care of the problem. Btw, I ran into one other person who's PO removed the fuse. When they put it back in, the horn just kept blowing by itself. Just an FYI in case it happens to you. She replaced the relay and it was fine.

Make sure you remove the negative battery terminal before removing fuses or relays. After you fix it and reconnect the battery, you need to put the key in and turn it to the "on" position without starting the car and leave it there for one minute minimum. Then turn it to the off position for 10 seconds minimum. You can start the car after that. This allows the computer to test and re-calibrate everything before you start it.

Good luck! :cheers:

RandallNeighbour 08-31-2005 07:00 AM

You're the man, John! I must say I truly admire your willingness to learn and fix your Porsches yourself. Here's some info on the bit you couldn't investigate concerning the 3rd light being loose (it was my very first repair on my box):

Joji, what year is your Boxster? I replaced the center lamp housing on my 1997 shortly after I bought it because a few of the tiny lamps lit up intermitently. The problem was remedied most easily by replacing it.

While swapping the old for the new, I learned that it is held in place with rubber nuts, so it feels loose even when you have new ones. But, with the top up or down, the clamshell covers it and it doesn't go anywhere.

What I am not certain of is if this kind of rubber nut attachment system is the same on your model year. My original ones were falling apart making it far more loose than normal, so I replaced those while I the lamp assembly was removed.

To make my third light installation work, I had to screw the rubber nuts into the bottom of the lamp assembly and then seat the whole thing into the holes in which the nuts reside. I could not find an easy way to install the nuts from the bottom of the metal. (If I installed mine wrong, someone please correct me and tell me how to get it right!)

Joji 08-31-2005 08:34 AM

"Most likely the relay or fuse. Check the fuse box (there should be a layout sheet in th cover to the fuse box) for a blown fuse first. If that's ok, replace the relay. The relay is #10 in the relay panel under the dash. The relay panel is right behind the fuse box and is not covered. The horn relay Porsche part number is 141 951 253 B. It's cheap, about $15 at a dealer or $7 at Radio Shack. One of those two should take care of the problem. Btw, I ran into one other person who's PO removed the fuse. When they put it back in, the horn just kept blowing by itself. Just an FYI in case it happens to you. She replaced the relay and it was fine"

I just loooked inside the fuse box. The fuse for the horn was missing. I am going to go out and get a new one. I have a feeling though when I put it in the horn will go on without stopping.

Just so I under stand and not electrocute myself. Before I put the fuse in I have to remove the negative battery terminal. How do I do this. is it a clip or something that snaps in . Or do I have to unscrew something. I don't want to get hurt. Do I have to do this just to pop a new fuse in?

PA986S 08-31-2005 09:25 AM

I have never heard of disconnecting the battery for a fuse swap or check...I also have never done it and never had a problem. I even built my own street rod doing the wiring from the ground up although there is no computer in it.

Is this something specific to Porsche or have I been doing it wrong for all these years? I was told to disconnect when I swapped the ash try holder with the cubby since I had to disconnect the switches...I didn't, and had no problems.

Does the radio have to be reset or code entered if this done?

By the way there is only 12 volts...I wouldn't worry too much about electrocution.

deliriousga 08-31-2005 10:12 AM

Quote:

Just so I under stand and not electrocute myself. Before I put the fuse in I have to remove the negative battery terminal. How do I do this. is it a clip or something that snaps in . Or do I have to unscrew something. I don't want to get hurt. Do I have to do this just to pop a new fuse in?

It's not for your safety, it's for your computer's safety. It can cause power surges in your system when you plug in fuses or relays, especially in something like the horn that's on when the key is out. Since the computer costs a fortune to replace, and I've seen people with the 928 who have blown the computer several different ways because the battery was connected, I won't replace a fuse or relay without disconnecting the battery and I won't jump start the car with anything but a jumpstart battery pack.

deliriousga 08-31-2005 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA986S
Does the radio have to be reset or code entered if this done?

Thanks for the reminder. You do have to enter the radio code after you disconnect the battery. If you don't have it, go to your local dealership and they can give you the code beforehand so you don't have to do without the stereo until you can get the code. Most dealers won't charge you for the code lookup.

Joji 08-31-2005 10:35 AM

Cool but if I disconnect the battery won't that erase the computer and my keys won't work or the car won't drive correctly.
thanks

deliriousga 08-31-2005 11:22 AM

Quote:

Cool but if I disconnect the battery won't that erase the computer and my keys won't work or the car won't drive correctly.
thanks

Nope. I've disconnected mine several times and never had a problem with the keys not working. That info is stored on "hard" memory so you have to purposefully erase or change the info. The radio requires its' code because it cannot tell if it is just unplugged or stolen. Since it can't tell, it always requires the code to be able to use it.

Joji 09-01-2005 08:53 PM

Horn not Working

All right I finally bought anew fuse for my car horn. I put the fuse where the old one was missing and soon as I put the fuse in the Horn came on and di not shut off for 3 seconds. Then I saw a spark come from the new fuse.
Bye bye Bye new fuse. It burned out the new fuse.

Does anyone know what one cause the horn to stay on straight and also blow the fuse. Is it the Relay or something else.

I appreciate your help. It is going to cost $200 to fix. Maybe there is work around.
thanks

deliriousga 09-02-2005 04:06 AM

Before spending $200 for a tech, swap the relay for free. The relay box is above the fuse box under the dash and it's wide open. Just pull out relay #10 (the horn relay) and set it aside. Next, pull out relay #12. That one is for the fog lights and it's the same relay as the horn. Plug the relay you pull out of the #12 slot into the horn relay slot #10. Next plug in a new fuse and see if the horn works.

If it does, take the relay #10 you pulled out and set aside to the dealer and get a new one (or two or three, it's a very common relay in the Boxster). Either swap the test relay you used from the fog lights back or just put the new one in.

If the horn doesn't work properly after swapping the relays, put it back like it was originally and get a tech to look at it.

I hope it's just the relay. :cheers:

Joji 09-02-2005 08:04 PM

I checked above the fuse section. All I see is a computer looking block. kind of like the input on your printer. Then to the top right there are these square looking things. a bunch of them. is that the relay. Does anyone have a picture they can show me. so I don't pull out somehting I am not supposed to.

Also Now I having a new problem as well. the key keeps getting stuck. I can't start the car. The Prosche dealer over thephone said that the wheel gets locked sometimes. I have to trun it to the left very hard and then turn the key.
Has any one found a solution. this happend to me twice in the last wo days. When I turn the steering wheel hard to get the key to move. The steerling wheel made a pop sound and jerked to the left. I thought I broke something. then the key was able to move. I know the car had a recall a while back before I owned it about the key ignition problem. Is this the same thing reaccuring or something different.
thanks

xclusivecar 09-03-2005 07:49 AM

ALWAYS disconnect the battery before attempting ANY electrical repairs or changes! The reason you blew a fuse in the first place tells you you have a problem. If there was no fuse there initially it is because a past owner or the dealership knew of an electrical problem and didn't want to fix this. The fuse protects the cars electronics in case of an overloaded electrical system. If this surge of power is allowed through the fuse (like putting in a fuse that can handle a higher amperage) you will blow your electronics and end up paying BIG dollars for a repair! It sounds like some work was done to this car and the electrical wiring was repaired half-assed. Take it back to the dealership and get this thing fixed before your repair bill sky rockets! Good luck!

Joji 09-03-2005 04:29 PM

I took a picture of the relays. I did not see a relay numbered 10 or 12 to switch for the horn and fog lights. They all say 53. Is there something I am missing. Check out the pictures and let me know which ones. Sorry the picture is a litle blurry. It was very difficult to get a shot below the dash because of lighting
thanks

deliriousga 09-03-2005 05:45 PM

In your picture, you can't see #10. See the fat one that takes up two slots? Those are #14 & 15. The one to the right of the fat one is #16. The #10 slot is directly above the #16 slot.

Click here for a drawing of the relay boxes http://www.theschillings.com/boxrelay.htm

The box you're concerned with is on the lefthand side of the page. Like xclusivecar said, always disconnect the battery or you can cost yourself some big bucks. Swap the relays and put a new fuse with the correct amperage rating in, then reconnect the battery and see what happens.

Joji 09-03-2005 08:48 PM

Thanks for the diagram. I know this is ignoratn. How do I disconnect the negative side of the battry without shocking myself

Also if the relay was broken why would the fuse blow if I put it in?

deliriousga 09-04-2005 08:44 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the diagram. I know this is ignoratn. How do I disconnect the negative side of the battry without shocking myself

Also if the relay was broken why would the fuse blow if I put it in?

Just don't touch the positive post on the battery and you won't be shocked. Electricity is transfered in the car from + to - so as long as there's not a common connection between them (i.e. you) there's no electricity transfered.

As for the relay, it's just a little circuit board inside. A relay can burn out and cause a short inside. The short makes the relay pull too much power causing the fuse to burn out. The fuse may have just blown because when you plug them in and the battery is connected there can be an electrical surge through the fuse causing it to blow. Btw, the relays are difficult to get out so you should rock it back and forth a little to get it to pull out slowly.

Joji 09-06-2005 12:21 PM

One last thing. The chart you gave me
http://www.theschillings.com/boxrelay.htm
says it is for Boxster Year 2000. My boxster is a 1999. Will this chart work for that year. I don't want to pull and switch the wrong relays causing anymore damage.
thanks