Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2005, 06:10 AM   #1

Removing cracked emblem and adding new

My car came with a craked Porsche boxster emblem on the rear or the trunk. I bought a new one. How do I get the old one off without running the paint of the trunk. Any techniques would be helpful.
Thanks

Joji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:45 AM   #2

Never tried it, but various methods have been suggested before. Such as sawing it off with dental floss, and/or heating with a hair dryer to loosen adhesive. In any event you are probably also going to need some kind of adhesive remover to get rid of the residue.
I would think the biggest problem would be to get the new one on there in the right place and straight, but as I said, I have not yet had the pleasure.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:49 AM   #3

I say remove it by sliding dental floss behind it and gently moving it back and forth like a micro saw. Then clean up the surface and wax it good.

Leave the back deck naked. People will wonder what kind of car it is and you won't have to worry about the replacement getting broken as it will surely get brittle after a while and be snapped off whilst you are washing it.

Dang, I used "whilst" again! I must really like that word.

Take that emblem and sell it on Ebay!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:52 AM   #4

Can I use Oops or Goo Gone or I have heard people using WD-40 to get rid of adhesive. Will this destroy the paint or will it be fine and just take of the adhesive residue.
thanks
Joji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:43 PM   #5

Cleaners like Oops and Goo-Gone don't smell a lot different than the cleaners body shops use to clean the wax off a car body before refinishing. Acryli-Clean is one of those that comes to mind. Bug & tar remover is another product that seems to be much the same.
I would think that if you followed up immediately with a little soap & water, you wouldn't do any damage. Clear coats are pretty tough.
Just don't use one of those acidy products meant for cleaning wheels!

Last edited by Ronzi; 08-30-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote