Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2005, 09:32 AM   #1

new Car Key $380 wow!! is this right?

Hi,
I just got my new 1999 boxster. It came with one keys. It is the key only with no remote for door or staring the car engine etc. I called Porsche they want $380 for the 2nd key. This sounds insane. Can't I just get the key I have now duplicated. They were talking about the key needs to be programmed.
They said I could get a valet key which only opens the door.

Is there a cheaper way to get a second key. I only need the key. I don't care about the remote or starting the car from the remote.
please help
thanks

Joji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:38 AM   #2

Replacement keys are expensive, more so for the remote. The valet key will start the car. The remote was an option on your car. Do you have the remote option with the alarm? If you do not have this option then you got the valet key, and 2 keys that have a light on it.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:40 AM   #3

$380 sounds dealer accurate

The key needs to be programmed to the computer.

I purchased my key for $210 at a private Porsche Mechanic. $210 included a new key, programming, everything.

Purchase the new key from a good private Porsche Mechanic, such as Hergesheimer Motorsports. www.herg.net

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:46 AM   #4
fab

I purchased me second key from a Boston Porsche dealership. It cost me somewhere in the 250.00 price range. It remotely unlocks my trunk and doors.

00 Boxster Blk/Blk
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:49 AM   #5

1. Check to see if you car came with the remote and alarm feature... Tool Pants is dead on with this advice. You may have one of those Boxsters ordered without it. If so, adding it will be $$$$. Any service advisor can read the codes under your front trunk lid and tell you if it has it or not.

2. If you do have it, search on "key, remote" and you'll find a bunch of helpful threads. No sense in repeating what's already been typed into threads over and over.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:43 AM   #6

The dealer called me back and said it will be $220 for an extra key. My model can't have all the extra key features. This is still expensive but better than $380.
Thanks for every ones help

Joji is offline   Reply With Quote