986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Smobek...smobek! She's smokin' like a chimney! Pray form my baby! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3525)

deliriousga 08-27-2005 05:56 AM

Smobek...smobek! Tons of smoke! Updated at the end.

Smokin' like crazy at start-up (even after just 2 hours) and the belt started squealing constantly. I'm goin' in and hopin for the best, but if anyone has had an oil leak that hit the belt, please let me know where it came from.

TIA! :cheers:

Brucelee 08-27-2005 06:56 AM

Does it just smoke at start up or does it keep on?

Is this black or white smoke?

deliriousga 08-27-2005 07:14 AM

White smoke, just at start up but not the normal poof, it's a huge cloud. I tried to take pics, but the camera couldn't see through the cloud.

She's burned off a pint of oil in the last three days at start up.

I believe I've found the problem, though. The oil filler tube collapses under vacuum. That's what was making the squealing noise, not the belt. I'm lucky because we have two Porsche dealers here within 40 miles of my house so hopefully one of them will have it so I can keep her on the road.

Rail26 08-27-2005 05:26 PM

Delirousga...I have an idea. Since you are going to get the problem fixed anyway and there is a lot of smoke coming out, I suggest putting a beef brisket behind the pipe and putting a few drops of liquid smoke in the oil res. and making a little barbecue. Just a thought...

deliriousga 08-28-2005 07:18 AM

Well, the oil filler tube didn't take care of the problem. Took it out last night after working on it all day and here's what I found:

The smoke comes out of the exhaust. I don't see it coming from the engine bay or around the exhaust like it's leaking on something then burning. It's like too much oil is being pumped into the cylinder(s) and it's burning it off. If it sits for about 2 hours, about a cup of oil will be burned off at start-up. The amount of smoke is so big if you back into it you're completely blind, like sitting in the middle of a cloud. I'll try and post a picture in a bit if I can.

I was completely wrong about the squeal. There is no oil on the belts at all. I could only get it to squeal with the covers on. I guess the engine does not get hot enough when it's wide open so I still don't know what's causing the squeal. Since they both started happening at the same time, I'm guessing they're related.

Does anyone know if you can see the oil dripping if you have an RMS failure? I was looking around at everything and there is no visible oil anywhere. I looked around where the RMS should be located and it's all sealed so I don't know if you can see the leak or not.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm flying blind right now and we won't drive it until it's figured out. Working on the clutch in the 928 today since I should be able to finish it and keep 2 cars on the road.

TIA! :cheers:

Brucelee 08-28-2005 11:15 AM

If you have a RMS leak you will know it. It will drop straight down and should not be connected to smoking like you described in any way. The oil will be on your garage floor.

If that smoke is white-ish, I would say you have a breach in the coolant to combustion chamber. This would indicate a head gasket I believe.

If the smoke is black, then your breach is more serious, oil to the combustion chamber.

Time for a service dept visit.

:cheers:

spine911 08-28-2005 01:57 PM

Deliriousga, Have you checked your Oil Separator for leaks/cracks, or the Spark Plug Tube O-Rings for leaks???

deliriousga 08-29-2005 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
If you have a RMS leak you will know it. It will drop straight down and should not be connected to smoking like you described in any way. The oil will be on your garage floor.

If that smoke is white-ish, I would say you have a breach in the coolant to combustion chamber. This would indicate a head gasket I believe.

If the smoke is black, then your breach is more serious, oil to the combustion chamber.

Time for a service dept visit.

:cheers:

Thanks for the info on the RMS. That helps isolate it for me.

I'm going to do some more diagnostics before going to a service dept. I'm willing to do the head gasket and most other things myself. The only thing I won't DIY is inside the chamber (valves, pistons, etc.) because I don't have all of the special tools and they're pretty pricey.

fefyfo 08-29-2005 07:16 AM

good luck deliriousga. Let us know what you found out. Hope to see your
yellow porsche around town soon.

wvicary 08-29-2005 08:00 AM

This might seem like an odd question but what does the smoke smell like..... oil of course will smell like.... well oil but coolant has it own unique sweet smell. Often after a repair it takes awhile for the oil/coolant to be burnt off from the exaust system. If you feel safe with the car just take it for a good drive and see what happens next time you flash it up.

deliriousga 08-29-2005 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir.Rhosisoftheliver
This might seem like an odd question but what does the smoke smell like..... oil of course will smell like.... well oil but coolant has it own unique sweet smell. Often after a repair it takes awhile for the oil/coolant to be burnt off from the exaust system. If you feel safe with the car just take it for a good drive and see what happens next time you flash it up.

It smells like burning oil. Like you spilled it on the manifold. I took it out Saturday after I replaced the oil filler tube and the same thing happened. I started it 4 times that evening to/from church and to/from the movies and the same cloud happened every time.

I was referred to a few good threads on renntech.org concerning the oil separator so I think I'm going to start there for now. I'll report more on what I find as I go along.

Thanks! :cheers:

deliriousga 09-08-2005 12:55 PM

She's back on her feet.

I replaced the oil separator last night and it seems to have taken care of the problem. :D

I'll keep an eye on her over the next few days and report back if it didn't completely fix the problem.

spine911 09-08-2005 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spine911
Deliriousga, Have you checked your Oil Separator for leaks/cracks, or the Spark Plug Tube O-Rings for leaks???

Oil Separator leak(oil leak on Right side of engine) is the number 1 culprit for leaks causing significant smoking and oil burning smell...Number 2 culprit could be your Spark Plug Tube, or Valve/Cam Cover Gasket(oil leak on either side of the engine) which causes oil burning smell, and smoking(if leak is significant).....I highly doubt your problem being a Head Gasket Failure or Engine combustion problem...I definitely think its one of the above(oil leak, then drips to the exhaust manifold causing the smoking).

Perfectlap 09-09-2005 07:59 AM

boy you must be heavy sleeper. The minute I see that much smoke I'm off to the Porsche mechanics ASAP. I need to sleep well at night!

deliriousga 09-09-2005 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
boy you must be heavy sleeper. The minute I see that much smoke I'm off to the Porsche mechanics ASAP. I need to sleep well at night!

It wasn't driven for 1 1/2 weeks while we waited for parts and time to put it in. :cheers: