986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Digital....Analog...Going Crazy! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3510)

Rail26 08-25-2005 05:13 AM

Digital....Analog...Going Crazy!

I would like to re-open this thread to you stereo experts out there. The '05 comes with a CDR-24 which as I understand it is a digital system. I called Becker parts for a AUX input kit that plugs into the CD changer so I can run a cord to the cockpit for my IPOD. The gent I talked to doesn't think it will work because it is an analog system that won't mesh with the digital stuff. Have any of you had success with getting this to work? I guess the CDR-23 was a digital system also. If anyone has an idea please post it for us. If I burn one more cd I am going to :barf:

Cheers.

TOM986 08-25-2005 12:11 PM

Cdr23

From what I have read the CDR23 is a fiber optic system and that is why nothing will work with it. I have checked with local audio shops and they don't seem to be able to work with that head unit at all. I assume the CDR24 is the same way. I use a FM trnsmitter to broadcast to my stereo in the car.

SD987 08-25-2005 01:27 PM

Dension icelink...

Dension provides interfaces between the stock CD changer and fiber optic systems like the CD24 in the 987. On their existing units (sold directly and through Best Buy and a couple of other chains) this allows one to also control the Ipod using the CD changer controls. The whole setup looks pretty slick.

When I contacted Dension in June, they told me that the Boxster unit was in development and would be available in September. I haven't contacted them since, and from what I've heard they are a little "slow to market" with new applications.

Dension

Sample vehicles

Rail26 08-25-2005 08:10 PM

Thanks for the help. I guess it is just a matter of time. On my car, the FM transmitter sounds horrible so I don't use it. Oh well...hopefully these Dension folks will get it on the market.

SD987 08-25-2005 09:02 PM

I find the "small speakers" setting on the Ipod equalizer, and +3 bass on the CDR24 to be an optimal combo, although it certainly won't win any contests. For those who live in San Diego, 100.9, if your modulator gets it, seems to be the ideal setting from Coronado to North County. Anything in the 88 + area is just frustrating due to the crowded airwaves and obviously radiowaves vary as you go up and down the band. South of Coronado....forget about it, it's hard not to get supplanted by Mariachi bands broadcasting from o'er the border anywhere on the dial.

Rail26 08-26-2005 06:10 AM

Thanks. I live about 2 miles from the border of Juarez, Mexico and I think they have used every single low range freq. Mariachi and U2 do not sound good together.