986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Key Programming (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34633)

jgaude 03-28-2012 11:33 PM

Key Programming

Hello there!
Does anyone in the SF Bay Area/South Bay have the ability to program keys? I've got a 2001 Boxster S and my key is starting to fail... It's eats batteries like crazy! So I got a new key and need it coded. Please contact me for time and money!

Thanks!

...Joe

Steve Tinker 03-29-2012 12:35 AM

I think you have to go to your local Official Porsche Centre to have your key programmed to your car.....
Not cheap, but at least its guaranteed to work.

madmods 03-29-2012 02:46 AM

2003S 03-29-2012 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgaude (Post 284367)
Hello there!
Does anyone in the SF Bay Area/South Bay have the ability to program keys? I've got a 2001 Boxster S and my key is starting to fail... It's eats batteries like crazy! So I got a new key and need it coded. Please contact me for time and money!

Thanks!

...Joe

If you swap out the ID chip (and key blade) from your old key into the new one, there should be no need to get it reprogrammed -- when you open up the key, it will look like a small "seed" that you can just move -- it's a passive transponder, so isn't attached to the power source.

See the Pelican write up on how to perform a Key-ectomy.

Pelican Technical Article: Replacing a**** Porsche Key Head

Meir 03-29-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmods (Post 284378)
No need for a dealer at all. Actually, I don't know of many who would go to the dealer simply to get a little key programmed in. Just find an garage that has a Porsche Piwis Tester "KTS520" and you are in for about a $50 job. Normally if you ask for your car to be serviced (oil, etc) they will just do it for free. Takes aprox 2 min e.g. deleting old key codes (if any) and reprograming your new one.

The Porsche Piwis Tester KTS520 looks like below. Anyone who does super/sport cars, porsche, has one. Just rign a few and ask if they have this unit in-house and just go for it.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1333017990.jpg

In my region, nobody buy the rip-off and useless "READ ONLY" durametric kit. We just buy the above kit and end of the story ;) About the same price if you know where to get it (Kts520 Diagnostic Tool-Kts520 Diagnostic Tool Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on Alibaba.com)

very interesting.
i have the Durametric and very happy with it.
what are the functions you can do with this one (that you cannot do with the Durametric) and how much it cost?

Meir 03-29-2012 09:54 AM

tried one of the links on Alibaba.
this is the email i got back:

Hi Meir ,
Thanks for pay attention to our item PIWIS KTS520 ,
this is Vivian ,nice to help you .

Unit price USD1790/pc ,newest version V29 ,hard drive for IBM T30 and Dell D630 available .
Shipping cost free shipping by DHL to USA .you will get it in 3-4 days

Payment Terms :TT,Western union or Paypal
Delivery Time:in 1-2 working day after got the payment
Quality Warranty: Two year
Min Purchase amount: 1 pieces

PS : However,if you read my email,any comments,please feel free to contact with me.
I am looking forward to hear from you soonest.

Yours sincerely
"Vivian" /Sales Manager
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shenzhen TSC Electronic Co., Ltd
Website: autodiagtool.en.alibaba.com Auto Diagnostic Tool Center--diagnostic tools,keyprogrammers,milleage correction
Tel: +86 755 23047925
Mobile :+86 13480159018
Email : vivian@pro-diagtool.com
MSN: autodiagtool88@hotmail.com
Add : Room 1005, Zehua Building, Donghuan 1st Road,Baoan District,Shenzhen,China

i guess i whould buy it if i own a shop, or is the re a way to get it cheaper mate?
Durametric costs 300-700 $

Treknwil 03-29-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgaude (Post 284367)
Hello there!

Thanks!

...Joe

I have a 2003 Boxster, and got a new key/fob made for it at Sonnen Porsche in Mill Valley. Cost about $400. It took only a couple of hours.
Hope this helps
Wil

vijen6 03-29-2012 10:34 AM

On a related topic .. my key blade broke off .. luckily I had two keys so I'm fine right now .. but would like to replace the broken one just in case.

Is the dealer my only option ?

2003S 03-29-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vijen6 (Post 284426)
On a related topic .. my key blade broke off .. luckily I had two keys so I'm fine right now .. but would like to replace the broken one just in case.

Is the dealer my only option ?

I think Audi shops can cut the key blade, too.

ChrisZang 03-29-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

No need for a dealer at all. Actually, I don't know of many who would go to the dealer simply to get a little key programmed in. Just find an garage that has a Porsche Piwis Tester "KTS520" and you are in for about a $50 job. Normally if you ask for your car to be serviced (oil, etc) they will just do it for free. Takes aprox 2 min e.g. deleting old key codes (if any) and reprograming your new one.

The Porsche Piwis Tester KTS520 looks like below. Anyone who does super/sport cars, porsche, has one. Just rign a few and ask if they have this unit in-house and just go for it.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1333017990.jpg

In my region, nobody buy the rip-off and useless "READ ONLY" durametric kit. We just buy the above kit and end of the story ;) About the same price if you know where to get it (Kts520 Diagnostic Tool-Kts520 Diagnostic Tool Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on Alibaba.com)

I forgot the name of the shop, but there's one at
1900 Old Middlefield Way in Mountain View, who has a PIWIS

Kenny Boxster 03-29-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Could you give us the shop/site where you got yours from? I would be weary buying from China as there are a plethora of fake/counterfeit goods. I actually plan on going to Shanghai and Beijing in 3 months to see family. Perhaps I could even drop by to see Madmods in Shanghai and have a beer or two. :cheers:

jgaude 03-29-2012 09:35 PM

Thanks for all the ideas! I was hoping I could take out my pc board/battery and replace it with a different one, from a key I just bought. But, it does not seem to work that way. I left in my blade/transponder and replaced the pc board/battery unit and the fob does not work. So it seems the my board is somehow paired with my transponder? Doesn't seem right, but that's the way it's working. So I'm using the old pc board, which is eating batteries about one every two weeks.. I'll have to get the new key coded.. I think.

madmods 03-30-2012 03:59 AM

madmods 03-30-2012 04:44 AM

Dave1987 03-02-2015 06:24 PM

i googled a document about programming key with PIWIS
it says it works on Panamera
https://www.facebook.com/lindaobd/posts/1549024145346584
i not sure if it works on 986

thom4782 03-02-2015 07:11 PM

Sent you a PM about local programming

You need new electronics. I think you can buy them cheap from Suncoast Porsche

KRAM36 03-03-2015 06:18 AM

The local Porsche dealer here charges $75 to program a new key fob.

Smallblock454 03-03-2015 07:38 AM

The Bosch KTS 520 is a diagnostic tool, not a programmer!

If you want to have your key reprogrammed go to a authorized Posche dealer. Give him the reserve key (small one without IR) incl. the code card and vin of your car and he will reprogram it for you.

particlewave 03-03-2015 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRAM36 (Post 438673)
The local Porsche dealer here charges $75 to program a new key fob.

Which dealer? Aristocrat?
That's a lot cheaper than I thought.

KRAM36 03-03-2015 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 438692)
Which dealer? Aristocrat?
That's a lot cheaper than I thought.

Correct. They wanted $200 for the the fob. Got one new off eBay for $130.