986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Parts required/recommended during IMS replacement (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34389)

Bala 03-15-2012 09:48 AM

Parts required/recommended during IMS replacement

Gents,
Am going in for the fix that will stop my nightmares. Just wanted to check with the folks who have done the IMS replacement what all I need in order to have this done without finding myself dead in the tracks for want of parts. Please let me know if anything else is required or recommended to be changed. Thanks,

1. IMS bearing
2. LN IMS toolkit
3. 3 pcs - Intermediate Shaft Micro-encapsulated Cover Bolt
4. Seal for Intermediate Shaft Flange, Late type seal (4 mm thick)
5. 2 pcs - Camshaft End Plug (mine is 2000 S)
6. Case of beer
7. Medical Mar....

I also plan to attack the RMS and the clutch which I guess will only know when its out in the open. But, any advice regarding that is appreciated as well. Good thing is that the axles are out, engine compartment is open, suspension is out etc.

manolo 03-15-2012 10:20 AM

New flywheel bolts.
Clutch guide tube, and the other various little springs/etc that get installed. Check Pelican.
I did a clutch slave as well.
Tranny oil (OEM)
Newer style cam chain tensioners (optional)
Lube that goes on the RMS (forgot the name) Check Pelican.
Lube that goes on clutch guide tube (ditto)

Thats all I can remember off the top of my head

Meir 03-15-2012 11:01 AM

hi Bala.
about # 7 in your list, it doesn't have to be medical. any type will do the job. :D

jokes aside, i'm sure our friend Feelyx will be happy to get your old IMSB if you put it in a ziplock bag right after you remove it.
Who has done an IMS change? - Pelican Parts Technical BBS
good luck man, and let me know when you done. i will be happy buy the LN tools from you.

Bala 03-15-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 282750)
hi Bala.
about # 7 in your list, it doesn't have to be medical. any type will do the job. :D

jokes aside, i'm sure our friend Feelyx will be happy to get your old IMSB if you put it in a ziplock bag right after you remove it.
Who has done an IMS change? - Pelican Parts Technical BBS
good luck man, and let me know when you done. i will be happy buy the LN tools from you.

Medical is the way to go. How else can I get my insurance company to pay for it?

Anyway there seems to be a lot of interest in the tool and not (none so far) willing to sell. They can't be that greedy! I think I'll start a loaner program. Have the wheel bearing tool as well.

Meir 03-15-2012 02:24 PM

sad

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bala (Post 282754)
Medical is the way to go. How else can I get my insurance company to pay for it?

Anyway there seems to be a lot of interest in the tool and not (none so far) willing to sell. They can't be that greedy! I think I'll start a loaner program. Have the wheel bearing tool as well.

the only reason i asked, is because i saw your other post looking for the tool.
i was sure someone sold it to you by now.
i guess people want to hang to it thinking they will have to use it again in the future (make sense in some way).

Bala 03-15-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 282796)
the only reason i asked, is because i saw your other post looking for the tool.
i was sure someone sold it to you by now.
i guess people want to hang to it thinking they will have to use it again in the future (make sense in some way).

Nothing materialized yet. One more day and I'll have to buy it from Pelican.

crogers106 03-16-2012 12:20 PM

I just had this project completed and ended up replacing the dual mass flywheel while we were in there. Also took this opportunity to install LN's magnetic drain plug & spin on oil filter adapter. Before they give you back the car, make sure they check that the exhaust heat shields don't come loose when they remove/reinstall the exhaust. I had that happen and it sounded terrible & scared the heck out of me & had to take back to the shop to fix.

Bala 03-16-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crogers106 (Post 282952)
I just had this project completed and ended up replacing the dual mass flywheel while we were in there. Also took this opportunity to install LN's magnetic drain plug & spin on oil filter adapter. Before they give you back the car, make sure they check that the exhaust heat shields don't come loose when they remove/reinstall the exhaust. I had that happen and it sounded terrible & scared the heck out of me & had to take back to the shop to fix.

I got the IMS Guardian so, that comes with the magnetic plug.

Interesting about the heat shield. I did not have to remove mine. Just dropped the tranny. I guess you are talking about the one over the cats? I do have the entire suspension, muffler, bumper removed BTW.

crogers106 03-16-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bala (Post 282954)
I got the IMS Guardian so, that comes with the magnetic plug.

Interesting about the heat shield. I did not have to remove mine. Just dropped the tranny. I guess you are talking about the one over the cats? I do have the entire suspension, muffler, bumper removed BTW.

The ones that came loose on mine were not the ones over the cats but the ones that wrap the pipes before the cats. Somewhere during the procedure these broke loose and you wouldn't believe the noise they made. See my recent post (lets play whats that noise) Just sharing a lesson learned. Even though my IMS was fine, there was no way to know that and now it's easier to sleep and I love the car even more. Best of luck! :cheers:

Bala 03-16-2012 02:48 PM

I have so many things off the car it's going to a crazy making sure everything is back in place and torqued up right. Thanks for the heads up.

ohioboxster 03-17-2012 09:10 PM

Are you replacing a good bearing? It didn't fail or there's no sign of failure correct?

Bala 03-18-2012 03:41 AM

Not sure if it is good. No sign of failure but, Durametric reported a CS deviation of over 6 in one and 5.6 in one. Steady at idle though. Car is at 90k so would be prudent to check and replace anyway since i am in there. Glad i droped the tranny as rms is leaking, clutch needs replacement too.

manolo 03-18-2012 09:55 AM

Just FYI, I have an LN IMS tool kit that I would be willing to sell. Was going to keep it but doesn't look like I will need it anymore. I know it's a little late for you, but if anyone else needs one shoot me a PM.

Paul 03-18-2012 10:18 AM

You'll need some green locktite and some RTV.

This is before I cleaned it up.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...1/P7080599.jpg

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-1281647..._2201_65287494

Paul 03-18-2012 10:23 AM

Good idea to replace these too:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...1/P7160704.jpg

Paul 03-18-2012 10:30 AM

I usually break at least one of these while trying to remove the shift cables.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...1/P7140689.jpg

Paul 03-18-2012 10:37 AM

You may need a 10 mm Stubby triple square for one of the tranny bolts.

This set has the correct one plus the proper one to remove the tranny drain plug.

BLPXZNM389, Set, Socket Driver, Metric, Triple Square, Stubby XZN, Blue-Point, 9 pcs.

16mm security plug for tranny (included in set)

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJEC...LPXZNM3816.jpg

BTW the part numbers in my posts above may or may not fit your car, check PET for your specific year/model.

Bala 03-19-2012 07:43 AM

Paul,
I did not have to remove the exhaust or the shift cable links. I popped them out of the lever and then the plate with 2 bolts holding them. Those clips seemed like a PIA though.