986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   maybe a stupid question about opening doors (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34166)

rosenfe 03-02-2012 12:51 PM

maybe a stupid question about opening doors

on my o3s ,as well as other boxsters ive driven,the window always get stuck for a moment when opening at the moulding on convertible top.i wonder how long this can go on without affetcing the window,moulding etc.i realize its a tight seam for weather protection.it cant be good in the long run

NoGaBiker 03-02-2012 12:59 PM

The windows actually lower an inch or so instantly when you pull the door handle. Well, not quite instantly, which is why you are experiencing the "stuck" feeling. The glass is up in the weatherseal and lowers so you can open the door. Train yourself to wait just a fraction of a second after lifting the door handle before pulling outwards, and the window will clear the weatherstripping just fine.

The problem is, your passengers will never learn that so the other side will just have to bear the brunt of that. Fortunately, I rarely have passengers, and often have the top down anyway.

Chief 03-02-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker (Post 280744)
The windows actually lower an inch or so instantly when you pull the door handle. Well, not quite instantly, which is why you are experiencing the "stuck" feeling. The glass is up in the weatherseal and lowers so you can open the door. Train yourself to wait just a fraction of a second after lifting the door handle before pulling outwards, and the window will clear the weatherstripping just fine.

The problem is, your passengers will never learn that so the other side will just have to bear the brunt of that. Fortunately, I rarely have passengers, and often have the top down anyway.

I'm having the hardest time teaching my girlfriend this along with carrying too much stuff in the cabin. :)

97 Boxster 03-02-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief (Post 280752)
I'm having the hardest time teaching my girlfriend this along with carrying too much stuff in the cabin. :)

As my wife would say. Be old fashioned because it will benefit you if you open the door for her. Problem solved. Lol

tonycarreon 03-02-2012 01:42 PM

LOL! yes. i get irritated when people don't understand this. i have taught myself that if i'm traveling with a person i unlock the car by using the key in the driver's door and holding it enough to lower the window. also when we are finished driving, i always

1. hit the passenger window down
2. hit the unlock button on the console
3. then i turn off the key.

people usually wait until the car is off before trying to exit, so by that time the window is down and the door is unlocked so they won't be struck with acute "pull harder on the handle because the door won't open"-itis.

Chief 03-02-2012 01:50 PM

Ok.
Plan A: I'm going to be an old fashioned gentleman. (the benefit would be nice I suppose). :)
And I don't like when she calls me an _____ hole. :D

Plan B: I'll also practice Tony's suggestion.

MileHighBoxster 03-02-2012 08:05 PM

Actually the window drops instantly unless you're jerking the door open. If you lift the handle and the window does not drop enough to clear the weather stripping, you likely need a new regulator.

Chief 03-03-2012 03:39 AM

Sometimes it takes a second or 2. Luckily I just bought a regulator because the window makes a slight noise when I lower it occasionally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileHighBoxster (Post 280837)
Actually the window drops instantly unless you're jerking the door open. If you lift the handle and the window does not drop enough to clear the weather stripping, you likely need a new regulator.

tonycarreon 03-03-2012 05:13 AM

the window will drop when the handle is half-way lifted before the door has actually opened, however most people do not wait that long and just jerk/pull on the handle+door at the same time. so they don't give it enough time (even though it is fairly fast) to clear the stripping and the top area.