Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2005, 11:14 AM   #1

Creaking noise from under car when pressing clutch pedel

Hi,

I had my clutch replaced about 6 montsh ago, since then I've had it replaced 2 times, due to a noise occuring once the car was warm and I pressed the clutch in. It can only be described as creaking noise. Anyway the 2nd time it was replaced it has stayed away, now after 2 months its returned! :-(

The dealership did warrenty the work for 2 years, but I'm concerned they are going to start looking for ways to say its something else. Eitherway I fear that if they do fix it again, I'm going to have to sell it asap once its fixed, as I'm not confident it won't come back.

Does anyone know what this noise could be, coming from under the car near the gear box. In my basic knowledge of things, it sounds so much like a cable or something creaking. But again only when the car is hot, I've just returned from a long days driving so I think this is what after 2 months of silence has brough it back.

I would really really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks.

Last edited by Andrew Fawcett; 08-13-2005 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo in title
Andrew Fawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:18 PM   #2

I didn't see a reference in you post about which model year your Boxster is but there is a Technical Service Bulletin 3005 that addresses clutch noises. The cause for squeaking noise is specified as "The clutch pedal power assist spring rubs against the spring casing." The repair is "Replace the clutch spring with a new contoured version clutch spring." If this is applicable to your Boxster, perhaps you can inquire what has been done in the past to remedy the situation and see if perhaps this work specified in TSB 3005 may need to be done. A new contoured version of the clutch spring is installed in production with 98 model with VINs.

98 8YS 62 0335
98 9YU 62 2504
98 1YS 66 0138
98 2YU 66 0346

P.S. There is also TSB 4605 that address squeaking clutch noises. The recommended fix is lubricating clutch parts.

Last edited by 98Boxster98; 08-13-2005 at 12:36 PM.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:29 PM   #3

Hi thanks very much for the response, very interesting. I have 2001 Boxster S.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:41 PM   #4

BTW, how do you get hold of TSB information, is there some internet site I can use?
Old 08-13-2005, 12:44 PM   #5

You may want to try posting over at Renntech.org. There are a few thread on clutch noises but most seem applicable to the 996. There is some mention that if the noise is emanating from the rear of the vehicle then it might have something to do with the clutch bell housing. However, the TSB (3041) is shown in the list for the Boxster but there isn't info posted. Again, it might be only applicable for the 996.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Fawcett
BTW, how do you get hold of TSB information, is there some internet site I can use?
You could become a contributing member at www.renntech.org or join www.alldatadiy.com. Both worthy sources in my opinion.