986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Zeintop (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33998)

jerry430 02-20-2012 01:37 PM

Zeintop

Does anybody know how many Zeintops made it to N. America before Zeintec went bust?

feelyx 02-20-2012 02:15 PM

I don't know how many but, I am ready to pounce on one when of if one becomes available

landrovered 02-20-2012 02:24 PM

The one I bought last year was one of the last to make it to the US according to the PO.

Idaho Red Rocket 3 02-20-2012 03:31 PM

Buttercup sure looks sweet with that Zientop

landrovered 02-20-2012 03:32 PM

Thanks! If I could permanently affix it I would. I even took the softop out.

Idaho Red Rocket 3 02-20-2012 04:18 PM

Landrovered.

Will you please post some pictures of the inside of the Zientop. My wife and I are on the search for one. Are they as nice inside as the Porsche hardtop ?

landrovered 02-20-2012 04:42 PM

Sure, I will snap some pics tomorrow and post them.

urban_legend 02-20-2012 05:32 PM

Took a flyer and gave a guy a call about one he had listed.

Just missed, he had sold it and was shipping it to the Philippines. UGH

Mrmaddbrad 02-21-2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landrovered (Post 279058)
Thanks! If I could permanently affix it I would. I even took the softop out.

I've never understood why people buy convertibles if they don't want to put the top down. Seems kind of pointless to me. lol

jcb986 02-21-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad (Post 279156)
I've never understood why people buy convertibles if they don't want to put the top down. Seems kind of pointless to me. lol

My sentiments too...why bother, but, they do look impressive.

2003S 02-21-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad (Post 279156)

Personally, I live without the drop top, but until the Cayman, it was the only way Boxsters came...

landrovered 02-21-2012 02:40 PM

Around here there are four weeks out of 52 when a ragtop is the best thing in the world.

I bought my car with the zeintop in mind, had it not been available I would have gotten a Cayman instead.

After several yyears with two boxsters...I think the 997 Targa 4s is the perfect setup.

rick3000 02-21-2012 11:18 PM

I would imagine that most Zeintop owners where probably active in the online Boxster community since it was such a niche product. I don't think more than ten people between all the Boxster forum's I frequent bought one.

Perfectlap 02-22-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000 (Post 279331)
I would imagine that most Zeintop owners where probably active in the online Boxster community since it was such a niche product. I don't think more than ten people between all the Boxster forum's I frequent bought one.

This is too bad. I don't if its because of the BSR/BSX Boxster spec racing but the cost of OEM hardtops have gone up considerably since I first got my car. I would frequently see the hardtops go for $800 and I once passed one up for about $600.
Now they go for at least twice that. The 996 Cabriolet hardtops were practically given away back then. Given the number of Boxster sstill rolling around you would think some large company would have invested the money into a Zeintop business and sold them at prices that would lure someone away from paying up for a OEM hardtop. I don't think this is a feasible business for a small company. They have to price the tops too high to get their money back and will never be able to produce a large volume of tops.

tightbox 02-22-2012 08:04 AM

I believe a total of 12-14 Zeintops were sold (according to the guy who sold me mine, who seemed very knowledgeable about the whole operation).

AZ and his assistant (THE guy AZ now claims to have "no affiliation with") actually flew in from SA to SoCal to tweak and fit my Z-top on the previous owners car. It was apparently the first out of the mold, and rode around on AZ's personal car for a while. It has an odd/crude/obviously handmade latch cover.

I was supposed to get pictures of the personalized driveway fitting process if the P/O ever found them. He claimed the picture would shoot major holes in the idea of restarting the business scott-free of any liability to those that were left holding the bag on the previous business venture.

AZ also gave the P/O a black Zeintec leather jacket as an apology for the P/O having such major fitting issues. I have it now, but it is way too large for me!

Believable or not, it was definitely a fun story, and makes my top feel all the more special when I do put it on!

landrovered 02-22-2012 08:12 AM

The fit and finish are not what you would expect, the inside is spartan and the top squeaks and is hard to fit and I am sure it could have been made better but... I would no sell it for $10k.

MiXAL 02-29-2012 01:24 AM

Still available?

I don't know if this is for real: Zeintop car hardtop products, buy Zeintop car hardtop products from alibaba.com

USD 2600 at Cape Town. There is also another seller at Alibaba for it - Mr Zeinecker himself: Zeintop986 - for Porsche Boxster 986/987 car products, buy Zeintop986 - for Porsche Boxster 986/987 car products from alibaba.com

MiXAL

rick3000 02-29-2012 01:21 PM

I think this says it all, look on the right sidebar.

Quote:

Supplier's last login time: Over 1 year ago

Kenny Boxster 02-29-2012 07:35 PM

I'm surprised no other companies or people have revived their interest in such a top as much as I anticipated. I figured by now a zeintop owner would loan their roof so that it could serve as a basis for aftermarket roofs. I'd buy one instantly at even Zeintop's price.

Jaxonalden 03-01-2012 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster (Post 280461)
I'm surprised no other companies or people have revived their interest in such a top as much as I anticipated. I figured by now a zeintop owner would loan their roof so that it could serve as a basis for aftermarket roofs. I'd buy one instantly at even Zeintop's price.

I contacted the guy that makes the tops and asked if he would think about manufacturing them again. He posted on here and didn't have a warn reception because he asked to have at least 20 orders on hand first instead of having an investor front the money.