Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2005, 08:59 AM   #1

Removing cupholders?

One of my cupholders broke today - it got pushed into the opening How do I remove the cupholder module? I tried looking on renntech but couldn't find it - too much info to sort through and I couldn't get it narrowed down via searching.

Thanks in advance..

BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:22 AM   #2

http://www.babblers.org/forums/search.php?searchid=22735
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:43 PM   #3

What are these cupholders you speak of

Cupholders?? We don't need no stinkin' cup holders man!! ROFL

But seriously, yours came with cupholders? I thought I'd never see the day when a Porsche came with cupholders. This is a day to celebrate!! :dance:

Hope you get yours fixed soon and I'll have to look into this to see if I can get some for our MY.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:12 PM   #4

it wound up taking about ten minutes with a screwdriver to fix it. Pop off the trim, unscrew four reaining screws. Turns out each cupholder is just a little cartridge looking thing held in with a bracket. They slide into the bracket from the rear, so a little force from the front pushes them right out.

I wouldn't get too excited about the cupholders though. They're evil things that just trick you into placing a beverage where it can be spilled into all the center console stuff - then they procede to do just that.

To me, they look like a good reason to install a double DIN stereo
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:48 PM   #5

I bought the factory cup holders that snap into the holes in the side vents, which don't allow the can or cup to spill nearly as easily... and these keep cold cans of coke cool when the a/c is on.

One must have those little holes to use these though, or be brave and use a drill bit to create them where they don't exist.

Jeff (Tool Pants) said that the original 1997's came with them as part of the car and they've all disappeared when resold because they can be removed and stowed.

I like mine and glad I bought them. Weren't easy to find though. Got them from a guy in Germany who had some old, new stock in the Porsche bags with stickers on them.

I did find them at eagleday...

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/eagleday/inac1.html

Pic is attached so you can see what I mean.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 03:28 PM   #6

I've got the Porsche cupholders above the radio that don't function well. (IE, easy spills), Because of that problem, I bought a set of cupholders from http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/
and they are excellent. Can even corner without having to worry about my drink spilling.

Mike

thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote