Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #1

Need Help changing airfilter element

My 986 has around 50k milage, figure it is about time to change the airfilter, is it something that I could do over the weekend? Any thoughts and tips on this DIY?
Whats the quickest way to get the airfilter box?

Hope Toolpants have a pictorial guide for this DIY.

Thanks in advance for the help.

TECH986ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:13 PM   #2

It should take about 20 minutes.

Here's how you do it:
Open the engine compartment (instructions are in your owner's manual).
The air box is on the driver's side up against the outside wall (see pic below). It clips off and the filter slides out.

Lube the slides and joints that operate the top and the top cover WYAIT. Plain old white lithium grease and a Q-tip will do the job.

Do the cabin filter too while you're at it. It will keep the A/C from smelling stale. It's in the front trunk to the right (passenger side) of the battery under a plastic cover. I think you have to take the battery cover off then there's a small torx screw for the cabin filter compartment. That's where your A/C test/fill point is too.

Enjoy!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top

Last edited by deliriousga; 08-10-2005 at 12:21 PM.
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #3

Red face

Thanks alot for the response!! 20mins yay, I am sure it will take me 40mins, is it a must to lube the intake box after sliding in the new filter? What are the benefits by doing that?

BTW: whats WYAIT? sorry I am a total noob.

You are right, my AC does smell funky, so basically I just open up the battery cover in the front, and look for the filter box near by the batt? Is it behind the battery?? Any idea how much those 2 filters would cost from the dealer?

Thanks so much!!

Last edited by TECH986ART; 08-10-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH986ART
Thanks alot for the response!! 20mins yay, I am sure it will take me 40mins, is it a must to lube the intake box after sliding in the new filter? What are the benefits by doing that?

BTW: whats WYAIT? sorry I am a total noob.
No need to lube the box. Just make sure there's no dirt in there before you put the new filter in. The advantage is it creates more of a seal on the filter, but it's squished in there pretty tight. If you do lube it, do not put any grease/oil on the intake side of the box (i.e. after the filter). If any of it gets loose and goes down the intake it can foul up your Mass Air Flow sensor. Mucho dinero for that baby. It's best to just put it around the top edge of the rubber seal on the filter if you do it.

WYAIT=While You Are In There

Just edited my first post suggesting you do the cabin filter too. Easy to do.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:32 PM   #5

Opening the compartment easily

Btw, in the book it says to open the top 30mm or something like that to get to the engine compartment. If you watch the back cover as it comes up and slides back so the top can go down, all you need to do is see when it slides back all the way. That's the point you stop the top. Much easier than trying to figure out when the top is a certain distance from the windshield.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:34 PM   #6

Got it, I'll take note of that, in regards to the Cabin filter you are right, my AC does smell funky, so basically I just open up the battery cover in the front, and look for the filter box near by the batt? Is it behind the battery?? Any idea how much those 2 filters would cost from the dealer?

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:37 PM   #7

Did you not mean to lubricate the slides on the clamshell, not the intake box for the air filter?

I can't see why you'd need to lubricate anything in the engine compartment when changing an air filter... but using some grease to lubricate the slides on each side of the clamshell is indeed a great idea... helps to keep the transmission and cables for the top from becoming stressed or worn out prematurely.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Did you not mean to lubricate the slides on the clamshell, not the intake box for the air filter?

I can't see why you'd need to lubricate anything in the engine compartment when changing an air filter... but using some grease to lubricate the slides on each side of the clamshell is indeed a great idea... helps to keep the transmission and cables for the top from becoming stressed or worn out prematurely.
Thanks for picking that up Randall. Sorry, I thought TECH was asking an additional question. The lubing I was talking about originally is on the tracks the shell slides on and the joints for it and the top. It helps prevent some of the top problems people have by keeping the mechanisms running smoothly. Just be careful not to get any grease on the top.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH986ART
Got it, I'll take note of that, in regards to the Cabin filter you are right, my AC does smell funky, so basically I just open up the battery cover in the front, and look for the filter box near by the batt? Is it behind the battery?? Any idea how much those 2 filters would cost from the dealer?

Thanks!
You pop the battery cover off in order to take the other cover off. There are three covers along the back of the front trunk. One on the left (driver's) side that has the brake reservoir coming out of it, one in the middle with the battery under it and one on the right (passenger) side that has the cabin filter and the A/C connections in it.

I don't know what the filters cost at the dealer. I got them at PAP Parts.

Air Filter $21.95: http://www.pap-parts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=996%20110%20131%2003
Cabin (Pollen) Filter $14.95: http://www.pap-parts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=996%20572%20219%2001
Old 08-10-2005, 02:43 PM   #10

Thank you so much John!