986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Car Shipment (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33874)

Ghostrider 310 02-15-2012 04:45 PM

Car Shipment

Does anyone have any transporters they have used and trust? Can anyone verify if tx to ny @ 1050 is a well negotiated deal from my salesman or just average, thanks. PS transportation is open.

Chief 02-15-2012 05:11 PM

Sounds about right. I sold a car a couple of years ago and the buyer used this company

Auto Transport | Car Shipping | Vehicle Shipping | Auto Shipping Quote
On the right of the page you can plug in your info and get an estimate.

One option is upper transport (recommended for convertibles)

violametallic-S- 02-15-2012 05:21 PM

I bought my escalade from texas and shipped to NY border, for 800. wish I had the info to pass onto you

MileHighBoxster 02-15-2012 05:48 PM

It would be cheaper to hire someone to drive it up. I would go down and drive it home myself if you have the time.

violametallic-S- 02-15-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileHighBoxster (Post 278313)
It would be cheaper to hire someone to drive it up. I would go down and drive it home myself if you have the time.

Not worth the flight ticket and expenses and possible risks to driving over 30 hrs or however long it would take

DenverSteve 02-15-2012 06:31 PM

Definitely worth it. Don't buy something you can't drive. Texas to NY isn't that far.

linklaw 02-16-2012 02:13 AM

I have had a few cars shipped by Road Scholar and others by Dependable Auto Shippers. I always had enclosed transport and found both companies to be professional. It cost me roughly $1000 to have cars shipped from Florida to PA. If you want to ship on an open trailer, the cost is approximately half. After seeing the car you are shipping, I would wrap it in velvet and tuck it gently into an enclosed transport.

coreseller 02-16-2012 02:35 AM

Highly recommend flying down and driving it back, I've done it 3 times and it's always been great. Most recent P-Car purchase was only 15 miles away which made it convenient but I honestly felt cheated out of another "adventure". Beautiful car BTW Ghost, you made a great call and you're going to love it. :cheers:

P.S. My partner has bought a few and has had them shipped, if you go that route pay extra for enclosed shipping. The few hundred saved going open often is regretted.

l3m 02-16-2012 04:08 AM

If you decide on the transport, make sure the car is on the upper level. The convertible top will get ruined if oil drips on it. This is why I decided to drive my car down from Michigan.

Ghostrider 310 02-16-2012 04:19 AM

Thanks you guys, that last post is a gem!! I never thought of that, maybe the dealer can shrink wrap that area, sounds like he's in the ballpark on price even though its open transport.

Burg Boxster 02-16-2012 05:14 AM

Price sounds about right for OPEN but insist on ENCLOSED which likely will be 60-70% more and insist on upper deck (don't let them take off truck until you get there too as they typically load in reverse order of drop off). If you can be somewhat flexible on timing, you'll get a better rate. That said, I'd go w/ either....

JP LOGISTICS and MOTORSPORTS
(personal experience - had a car delivered from CA to PA and it was seemless - precisely on time, clean, communicated as needed/when requested and delivered directly to my home).

Intercity Lines, Inc. (no personal experience but get great reviews on 6speed)

You can try FedEx Custom critical. Never used but heard decent things and they are all enclosed. Plus you can get a fast online quote for comparison. Whatever you do, do NOT use a freight broker - go direct and w/ someone who is recommended.

Congrats on your new Spyder and good luck :)

AndyA6 02-16-2012 08:10 AM

VWVortex.com - Is DAS a reputable shipper?

Read this!

Ghostrider 310 02-16-2012 08:41 AM

JP logistics? I smell a fresh load of stink. "well if you ship it open it will need a color sand resurfacing from the road effluents". Hummm, what happens to it when it runs down the road Mr. Wizard? BTW the car is German do you think they have Mr. Scott beam them over here?

sorry but I don't do business when it smells bad.

BYprodriver 02-16-2012 08:45 AM

Reliable was always the best from my experience. Assuming this is for your Spyder, I would think it will be critical for the car to be facing forward if it goes open transport for the sake of the top.

Burg Boxster 02-16-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 278377)
JP logistics? I smell a fresh load of stink. "well if you ship it open it will need a color sand resurfacing from the road effluents". Hummm, what happens to it when it runs down the road Mr. Wizard? BTW the car is German do you think they have Mr. Scott beam them over here?

sorry but I don't do business when it smells bad.

Huh??? :confused:

Are you sure you found the right JP Logistics & Motorsports? I linked it for you just in case. They might have open carry too but you definitely want enclosed. Anyhow, they are an official carrier for BullRun, The Collection, Penske, etc. and have good customer reviews including my personal experience I cited:

JP Logistics comes onboard as Official Bullrun Transportation Service | Bullrun: Rallying the World
JP Logistics Reviews - Sun Valley, CA 91352
JP Logistics - 5 Stars out of 5 - Transport Reviews.com - Your Auto Transport Information Source. View Reviews, Ratings and Rankings of Auto Transporters.
JP Logistics - Sun Valley - Sun Valley, CA

I'm not related to them in any way, just used them to have my 997S Cab delivered from CA to PA and they did a great job. Anywho, absolutely go with who you are comfortable with but more importantly based off previous recommendations b/c there are too many outfits who claim to be good...

Good luck :)

unklekraker 02-16-2012 09:50 AM

not to scared you or anything but last week, I saw a freight truck that says Car Open Transport on it's driver side door with 3 or 4 cars that looks brand new (Audi and Mercedes Benz) and dude, they look like it went to the mud with all the dirt and dried mud splash covering the car. Just picture an SUV who went to the snow and didn't get washed for few days.:eek

consider the weather where it's coming from and what route they are taking if you decide to go open transport. :cheers:

BTW...I'm jealous of your car and green with envy :D

jdiba 02-16-2012 10:00 AM

Ghostrider, if you can swing it I'd go enclosed shipping. You'll feel better about it. And shipping is
the way I would go too.

Ghostrider 310 02-16-2012 11:16 AM

Clearly closed would be better but I gave it all I had to get the car, another 500 is going to hurt bad, the way I clean it I'll be cleaning it either way. I'll bet it didn't go to the dealer in a closed unit.

amschnellsten 02-16-2012 02:27 PM

I just had my Boxster shipped from Miami to Cincinnati. I will see if I can find the guys number. He drove it up on a custom rollback made from an ambulance. I bought the car on Friday, contacted the shipper on Sat night, picked up Sun afternoon, arrived Monday morning. He normally hauls two fifth wheel campers down south and just hunts for loads to drive north for some fuel money. He charged me $375.....

Ghostrider 310 02-16-2012 02:50 PM

Is he insured? That doesn't even sound like it would cover gas and tolls. Something tells me there is a invisible premium they hit you with for it being a Porsche.