986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Finally Got my Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3384)

Frank 08-09-2005 03:41 PM

Finally Got my Boxster

I just bought a 99 with 84,000 miles on it.It is black with a black top and tan leather.It is in really good condition and I couldn't be happier.It drives just perfect.It has rained all day so I havn't got to take it out :mad: .When it clears up,I'll take some pics to post.

Now,their are a few scrapes around the driver key hole on the door.I tried to compaund it and it won't come out.So,is their any way to get it touched up by a shop without them repainting the entire door.If so how much do you think it will cost and can anyone recomend a shop near Toms River,New Jersey?

Also,the coolant is just a little below full and I want to top it off.What is the coolant I need to get and where do they usually carry it?

Thankyou everyone for helping me out.
Frank

99-Boxster-MK 08-09-2005 04:32 PM

Post a pic and I will try and tell ya whether it can be polished out..

Mike

RandallNeighbour 08-09-2005 07:25 PM

My mechanic said a couple of cups of distilled water in your overflow tank won't hurt anything or dilute the liquid gold ($$$ per gallon) Porsche requires for our car's radiator systems. But, if it's between the low and max lines, leave it be. It ain't doing any harm to your car.

Hey, not to bring you down, but as an owner of a 97 with 90k, the scratches around your driver's door handle are going to be expensive to fix and you may well need that cash for repairs of which you are currently unaware. May I ask what kind of service records were passed along to you concerning the maintenance and repairs on the car?

tqtran 08-09-2005 07:40 PM

Go to your local art store and buy a # "0" (as in zero) size paint brush or #00 if they have it and touch it up yourself. Remember to only dip 1-2mm of the tip into the paint, not the entire thing. That is if you have a steady hand to do this :D

Frank 08-09-2005 08:22 PM

The people i bought it from intreduced me to the mechanic who did all the work on the car and they gave me a print out of everything they ever did to the car since he bought it at 40,000 miles.

If I do it myself,can i really get it to blend in or will it always look kind of messy.What do you think of those paint pens?

nautiquelfe 08-09-2005 09:01 PM

Congratulations on the car. I have had to put about a half cup of distilled water in my rear coolant tank in the trunk twice this summer. Once was right after a 700mile non-stop drive. The second time was last week after about 2months of 90*+ temperatures. It seems to do the trick. My understanding is that you should never have to change the coolant completely out. But im sure there have been exceptions. Take it from me a fellow 99 owner, save your pennies now. Proper maint. is a must on these cars. If you let things get by you'll regret it. Minor issues tend to cost a considerable amount more for these cars. Hope you have some sunshine tommorow to get her out. Take pics and post. :cheers:

tqtran 08-10-2005 05:15 AM

NO PAINT PENS!! :matchup:

I paint as a hobby and I have painted on metal many times. With that being said, use the smallest paint brush(white tip preferred or the softest tip you can get) and touch up paint. Apply the paint in layers. After one layer, let it cure (dry) before you put the next on. This will help prevent it from looking uneven. Yes, this can take a long time but if you want it to look good without repainting the door....
Do the same with the clear coat as well.
If you can't do this is fine someone else that can because you can't undue it.