Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005, 08:53 AM   #1

Porsche speeder story

From the front page of todays Lincoln (Nebraska) Journal:

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2005/08/09/local/doc42f7e69107514822553719.txt

Need for speed gets Porsche driver arrested
By the Lincoln Journal Star

No, it's not a new land-speed record in Nebraska. A Colorado man arrested for driving his Porsche 131 mph shortly after noon Saturday on Interstate 80 near Beaver Crossing is only the most recent example of taking unlawful speed to the extreme.

Deb Collins of the Nebraska State Patrol didn't have to look any further back than March 25, 2004, to come up with an even bigger interstate blur. That's when the driver of 2004 Mercedes was arrested for driving 141 mph just east of the Kearney interchange.

In the more recent incident, 36-year-old Joseph Rozick of Denver was finally flagged down by the State Patrol after his 1997 Porsche 911 was slowed by traffic. According to the State Patrol, Rozick said he was trying to catch up with a friend who was traveling ahead of him.

His indiscretion cost him $200 plus $44 for court costs. Collins said it will be up to county authorities to decide what to do about the willful reckless driving charge that went with the speeding fine.

Can State Patrol cars go fast enough to catch somebody doing 141 — or even 131?

"I don't know that," Collins said.

In this case, "the trooper had radioed ahead to the next troop area to alert them."

richardda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:32 AM   #2

Truth #1: The Porsche is faster than the police cruiser

Truth #2: The radio is faster than the Porsche

Truth #3: If one plans to exceed the speed limit by 25 miles per hour, one must have a friend down the road to insure no law enforcement are patrolling the road on which one is driving fast.

Truth #4: 25 over the limit yeilds a reckless driving charge in the state of Texas anyway.

... I am guilty of reckless driving on a weekly basis I just haven't been caught yet.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:18 PM   #3

Truth #5 Everyone will get caught sooner or later.

Truth #6 Have a slush fund for that day you do eventually get caught because it is going to cost and that will hurt.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:44 PM   #4

A few days ago two guys on Suzuki crotch rockets were pursued through western Colorado at speeds clocked up to 165mph. Both ultimately crashed. One is dead, the other seriously injured. All the cops came out OK.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:47 PM   #5

That's why I sold my street/track motorcycles. Speeds 170+ mph were too frequent. Even in the north georgia mountains, the speeds between corners were regularly over 140. With 0-60 times at 2.9 secs the acceleration is just hugely addictive on a sportbike.

Even at the nearby tracks, say VIR or Road Atlanta, speeds are just too crazy fast. Coming out of Oak Tree corner at VIR and screaming up past 170 mph with other riders drifting over into your line and squeezing you toward the edge of the track while you're cresting the hill trying to think about braking into the left hander - margin of error very small - just frigging dangerous.

Lest you feel the need to preach to this, don't bother. Motorcycle speed is like crack. Hmmm, I wonder where I can get a good deal on an 05 GSXR 1k? I wonder if there are trackday openings in Sept at Barber? Must have trackday fix...

Last edited by Skols; 08-09-2005 at 06:56 PM.
Skols is offline   Reply With Quote