Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #1

Limp door handle

Hey guys I was hoping someone encountered the same problem so I know what to look for and buy any parts before I pull the door apart. My problem is that my driver's side door handle is limp which causes the window to drop 1/4". When I push up on the handle the window closes so I know the switch is fine. Has anyone had the same problem? Is there a spring on the handle or the latch that keeps tension on the cable or could the cable just be worn out and stretched?

amschnellsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #2

good question.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #3

I have had the same problem and it is one of the easiest solutions you will find with these cars. You take the door panel off and you'll find that the spring that keeps the door handle from going "limp" is broken. It is an easy and cheap replacement. You're better off going with a Porsche Dealer for the part because it is a hard piece to find anywhere else from what I found and it isn't that expensive even from the dealer. I hope this helps.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. Is the spring on the door latch or on the inner door handle?
amschnellsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amschnellsten View Post
Thanks for the reply. Is the spring on the door latch or on the inner door handle?
Once you get the door panel off you'll see where the spring hooks to the inner-door and where it grabs onto the door latch from behind the panel to keep it tight. It may still be hanging on each side if the spring broke in the middle. GL

coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote