986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Stupid Me - Wrecked the P Car tonight (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33739)

97 Boxster 02-08-2012 06:37 PM

Stupid Me - Wrecked the P Car tonight

Well, my nearly perfect 97 - 986 had an accident tonight. I will post photos tomorrow when the light is better. Pulled into my garage and parked the car. Got right out and proceeded to move my wifes Hummer out. While backing her car out I noticed that my wife was in the Porsche (at least thats what I thought). The car was driving solo. The E brake was not pulled enough. By the time I realized it I had to E Brake the Hummer and run to catch the Porsche rolling backwards down my driveway.

Right across the street into a 4 Runner. Man, this perfect car was running so well too.

From what I can see the damage is:
-Rear Tail light
-Rear Bumper smashed in on the drivers corner
-Small dent/crease on driver side rear panel above wheel

My concerns are the paint match. I have a guards red car and its 14 years old. Paint is perfect and deep. Not a scratch and always garaged. Will a reputable company be able to match this well? With one broken tail light would it be wise to have both replaced so they match and its not a NEW GLOSSY lens and an older one? Also, I guess I should have the bumperettes painted while its in the shop.

The good - Bumperettes can get painted which I wanted to do anyways. Also, the bumper is the only part that needs paint so masking the car or the risk of overspray should be minimal or NOTHING.

Thoughts??

fatmike 02-08-2012 06:42 PM

Terrible. Glad nobody got hurt.

I can't help you much on your plight. But, taillights are easy to come by. Lots of folks de-amber, which means there are un-used factory originals out there. Or, take this opportunity to de-amber yourself...

/

Jager 02-08-2012 06:43 PM

Does the rear bumper need any repair or just paint?

97 Boxster 02-08-2012 06:53 PM

The rear bumper is smashed in and cracked pretty bad so it will need to be replaced. As for the lights, I would like to de amber so I will see what route the repair shop is headed and make my decision. Either way I just want to take today back. LOL

Jager 02-08-2012 06:59 PM

I might have a rear bumper for you, although it's blue.

97 Boxster 02-08-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jager (Post 277476)
I might have a rear bumper for you, although it's blue.

Let me see what the repair center is going to do and I will let you know. Happy to help you unload it if they can work with it. Thank goodness for insurance, I am certain this fender bender will be expensive.

Jager 02-08-2012 07:04 PM

A local parts store is closing and they said I could have it (the bumper) for cheap, I have not seen it yet but I told them I would take it.

97 Boxster 02-08-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jager (Post 277478)
A local parts store is closing and they said I could have it (the bumper) for cheap, I have not seen it yet but I told them I would take it.

Cool. Sounds like it might be an option. My brother and I just purchased a bunch of stuff from a Hummer dealer because after sitting on the building for 2 years after closing it they had a ton of parts and Hummer stuff that we both wanted. Sometimes it works out to be a great deal.

Jager 02-08-2012 07:12 PM

I will get the bumper this weekend and take pictures then post them here for you.

DenverSteve 02-08-2012 08:28 PM

A good body shop will match the paint without issue. Paint matching today is light-years ahead of where it was 20 years ago. Personally, I would only use a new bumper cover. Otherwise you'll have layers of paint and ..... Since it will likely be much more than your deductible, you might as well get it new and done right.

thstone 02-08-2012 09:00 PM

Glad that no one was hurt. Sorry for the incident but a decent shop should have no problem in matching the paint. It will look brand new in no time.

Gforrest2 02-08-2012 09:43 PM

Welcome to the club. Two years ago, while working on my other car, I noticed some movement out of the corner of my eye. Yup, my Boxster had somehow rolled out of my level garage and was now rolling backwards down my driveway. By the time I figured out what was happening, it was too late. I watched the car cross the street, jump the curb and hit a tree. Thank god it didn't hit anybody or another car. Damage was a dented bumper and a broken taillight. I had a moblie paintless dent repair guy fix the bumper for about $300. He told me up front it wouldn't be perfect, but okay from a short distance. He was right. There's a crack in the clear coat and a slight waviness if you look real close. I thought about getting the Ebay led tailights. But for just a little more, I got an OEM replacement from Sunset Imports. But you're right. The right side is bright and glossy and the left has 8 years of wear and tear. But like most things, time heals and I don't notice it much any more. Bottom line is I got out of this little mishap for around $500. And now, I always remember to set the brake and put the car in gear.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...2/IMG_0243.jpg

Dave928 02-09-2012 12:06 AM

same thing happened to me about 20 years ago and it was only a VW Rabbit. but that helpless feeling in your gut watching your car roll down a hill and hit something? doesn't matter what kind of car it is or what it cost, it sucks.

(it stopped in a ditch and only belt the tailpipe over)

Ghostrider 310 02-09-2012 01:51 AM

No need to fear the paint match, my body shop uses a camera system to match paint, I'm sure it must be fairly common. Bumper cover isn't that big a deal, it just feels bad to damage something you treasure; nobody ever enjoys that..

Flavor 987S 02-09-2012 03:12 AM

A good shop will do a great job with the paint match. Painted bumperettes are the bomb!

Take lots of pictures of your car, before, during and after the repair, so you can show/document the damage and repair, for the next potential buyer. This way you can show it was mainly a cosmetic repair, and not the result of an accident/collision.

ekam 02-09-2012 04:14 AM

I always, always, always try to remind myself to put the car in gear whenever I park.

97 Boxster 02-09-2012 04:30 AM

Thanks all. Photos will be coming soon. Lighting was bad last night so I will take some today and I will be visiting the shop several times throughout the process. Still going to get a few estimates so I am not sure where at this time but I will keep all posted. I agree with you as well on the documentation that this is cosmetic. Just a bumper cover and tail lamp. Nothing with the metal from what I can see. A little paintless dent repair and I should be good to go. The matching of the paint it a HUGE concern for me but many have stated I should be fine. Thanks for the words.

Frodo 02-09-2012 05:09 AM

FWIW, when I had my semi-minor mishap with my Boxsta I agonized over where to go for repairs. I, too, was wanting the best work and, of course, the perfect match with paint color.

I asked around, probably talked to a couple dozen people or more, even visited a couple of shops. Ended up going back to the same P-car dealership where I had originally bought the car. They had a complete set up for body work, and a very impressive paint shop. The head guy there had been doing that kind of work for 25 years or better, and his assistant almost that long.

I got what I was looking for...it was perfect. I have to stop and think about which side of the car was involved anymore. It's virtually impossible to tell by looking. The nice thing about going to a P-car dealership? They know their clientele are sticklers about things being done right and, typically would not hesitate to make a fuss if it's not.

recycledsixtie 02-09-2012 06:17 AM

I can think of something positive that came out of this. First of all I am sorry about your car damage. The important thing is you were not hurt. A friend of mine's car rolled over him in a similar situation. By the look of his injuries it did some damage to his head and he died of a stroke a few months later. He was in his 60's. Car bodies are easier to fix than human bodies. As a note of interest a couple of days ago my Boxster's handbrake had to be pulled up hard to engage. I found this out when I depressed the clutch and the car started rolling when the handbrake was applied 2 notches only.:(Am sorry about your damage.

vitaminC 02-09-2012 06:34 AM

In addition to the e-brake, I also use a "parking mat". That keeps me from going too far forward, and keeps the car from rolling once it's parked.

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/Grio...77057?$detail$