986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cat Bypass legal ? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33529)

houstoer 01-28-2012 05:57 AM

Cat Bypass legal ?

I live in Texas; I'm told from a reliable source that in 2013 Texas will institute more strict laws on emissions much along the same line as California and New York. Of course I'm told this as my new Fabspeed cat bypass is on it's way to me right now. Once installed will my car still pass all the tests? Maybe someone from CA or NY can help me out. The mechanic I talked to told me that with the scanners they will be using that they could tell that its not stock and I might not pass. thanks

Johnny Danger 01-28-2012 06:57 AM

As you probably know, 2.7 and 3.2 boxsters have two sets of cats. The secondary cats can be removed, and the vehicle will still remain OBD II complaint. We have pretty strict emissions standards here in Massachusetts, and my vehicle (sans the secondary cats) passes with flying colors every year .

thstone 01-28-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 276044)
As you probably know, 2.7 and 3.2 boxsters have two sets of cats. The secondary cats can be removed, and the vehicle will still remain OBD II complaint. We have pretty strict emissions standards here in Massachusetts, and my vehicle (sans the secondary cats) passes with flying colors every year .

+1 ^

However, if you have an earlier car (1997-1999) you are likely to fail emissions testing.

houstoer 01-28-2012 09:30 AM

Mine is a 2.7, 2003 base boxster so sounds like I'll be good ? thanks guys

ChrisZang 01-28-2012 01:08 PM

I consistently (but barely) pass CA emissions with fab speed bypass pipes

Dave928 01-28-2012 05:38 PM

the other thing to remember is that your car only has to pass the emissions standards that were in place for it's model year. their tester only tests to those numbers. it doesn't matter if the standards become more strict, they're not retroactive. you can't make a car more efficient than it was originally built.

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstoer (Post 276037)
I live in Texas; I'm told from a reliable source that in 2013 Texas will institute more strict laws on emissions much along the same line as California and New York. Of course I'm told this as my new Fabspeed cat bypass is on it's way to me right now. Once installed will my car still pass all the tests? Maybe someone from CA or NY can help me out. The mechanic I talked to told me that with the scanners they will be using that they could tell that its not stock and I might not pass. thanks

sd_boxster 01-29-2012 05:56 AM

I passed smog with bypass pipes on my '03 in the People's Democratic Republic of California.

If you can make it here, you'll make it anywhere. Knee-knee-kick-kick.