Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #1

opinions on sale

Looking to sell my '98 in the summer I have a hard top will it help in the sale of the car to keep it or should I sell it separately now.Thanks for all opinions.
Don

treeneedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #2

Think of the hardtop as a "mod" on the car (since it was optional equipment). Selling with usually only generates about $0.20-0.30 on the dollar of new... even less in this case I'm afraid. When selling separately, i.e parting out, you should be able to recoup 50-70% of the cost when new.

So, including with the sale might help "sell" the car but nominal increase in selling price. My recollection says hardtops go for $1300 depending on condition, color, etc. You'll never see that much increase if bundled w/ car vs w/o. You can try and keep it as a separate cash transaction which will also help buyer for sales tax purposes. However, that will be very difficult once you disclose it b/c as a buyer, I'll be inclined to immediately put that in play during negotiation. To get the most value you might want to try and sell hardtop now or hold until early fall when demand is up. Summer certainly won't be the time unless you'll be advertising it focused around track junkies.

Good luck and what p-car are you replacing with?
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #3

Sell the hardtop NOW!!!! While it's cold. You'll get a $1000 for it (maybe more if it's in good shape and you're in the right part of the country).

====

Sell the car with the hardtop in the summer? No way. The hardtop becomes a "throw in". Why would you do that?

Your hardtop will fit all cars from '97 through '04. It will fit "S" models, but there was an "S" specific hardtop that has upgraded exterior trim.

This isn't even close.

\
Old 01-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Think of the hardtop as a "mod" on the car (since it was optional equipment). Selling with usually only generates about $0.20-0.30 on the dollar of new... even less in this case I'm afraid. When selling separately, i.e parting out, you should be able to recoup 50-70% of the cost when new.

So, including with the sale might help "sell" the car but nominal increase in selling price. My recollection says hardtops go for $1300 depending on condition, color, etc. You'll never see that much increase if bundled w/ car vs w/o. You can try and keep it as a separate cash transaction which will also help buyer for sales tax purposes. However, that will be very difficult once you disclose it b/c as a buyer, I'll be inclined to immediately put that in play during negotiation. To get the most value you might want to try and sell hardtop now or hold until early fall when demand is up. Summer certainly won't be the time unless you'll be advertising it focused around track junkies.

Good luck and what p-car are you replacing with?
Thanks for the great summary, the top is in great shape have put it up for sale for $800 is that too low? Looking at 911 or waiting for new boxster design
Old 01-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post
Sell the hardtop NOW!!!! While it's cold. You'll get a $1000 for it (maybe more if it's in good shape and you're in the right part of the country).

====

Sell the car with the hardtop in the summer? No way. The hardtop becomes a "throw in". Why would you do that?

Your hardtop will fit all cars from '97 through '04. It will fit "S" models, but there was an "S" specific hardtop that has upgraded exterior trim.

\
I live in NJ have put it up for $800 but I guess that is too low. Thanks for the reply.
Don
Old 01-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeneedle View Post
Looking at 911...
Welcome to the "dark side"

and yes, raise your price

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 01-26-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #7

I agree with FatMike. I think that the Boxster is exclusively a convertible. I would also sell the top. Also, be willing to ship.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #8

If you decide to ship it, here's how to do it right:

I imagine it won't be cheap.

Good luck with your sale. You should find at least one buyer within a 2-3 hour drive who is willing to drive and pick it up. Just make sure they have installed the spinlocks before they try to drive away with it.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
If you decide to ship it, here's how to do it right:

I imagine it won't be cheap.

Good luck with your sale. You should find at least one buyer within a 2-3 hour drive who is willing to drive and pick it up. Just make sure they have installed the spinlocks before they try to drive away with it.
great pictures thanks for the idea, thinking of driving to location with top on and putting it on buyers car ???
Old 01-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
treeneedle,

These folks have good advice. I sold my car this past summer and didn't even mention the hardtop. After the car sold I listed the hardtop on Craigslist and it sold two weeks later. What color is your top? My car and top were a not so common Biarritz White. I asked and received $1,500 for the top, stand, and top storage cover.

I feel lucky to have found another Biarritz White owner searching so closely for a hardtop. He said the second he saw my ad he knew the top was meant for his car. He showed up with his car, but without spinlocks (they were already ordered) because he wanted to make sure the colors matched. His buddy was with him in a Honda Ridgeline truck. They wrapped the top with heavy duty shipping blankets and to my surprise folded the back seats of the Ridgeline and stuck the top inside the truck.

So, yes, raise your price and depending on your color you should get some interest rather quickly.

Best of luck,

ddb

Last edited by ddb; 01-28-2012 at 06:38 AM.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #11

My top is black, right now I'm at 850 but I live in NJ and the person interested lives in Ohio so we are trying to work out shipping, I have the pins in the car have to figure out how to take them out???
Don
Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #12

Thanks for idea and pictures looks like best way to ship I'm afraid of cardboard?
Don
Old 01-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Don,

Here's some information on installing spinlocks. Removal should be the reverse.

Pelican Technical Article: Installing the Boxster Hardtop and Installation Kit - 986 / 987

Hard Tops - Boxster Tech

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/boxster/images/8/81/Tsb.6117.spinlocks.pdf

ddb

Last edited by ddb; 01-27-2012 at 09:47 AM.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #14

Thanks for pictures they are very helpfull
Don
Old 01-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #15

I wish it was Artic Silver. I would have bought it in a minute!
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #16

Good advice above. Simple answer is you'll realize $1k or more extra vs. selling it with the car.

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote