986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Installing new headers/pipes without removing muffler (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33462)

Steve Tinker 01-25-2012 03:18 PM

Installing new headers/pipes without removing muffler

I'm just about to install new headers and cat delete pipes (but retain the rear muffler) on my 2001 S.
Before I squeeze my old bones under the car, I need a couple of pointers from people who have already completed the installation.

I assume that I can remove the headers first and then pull out the cat section of the exhaust system without actually removing the standard muffler (at least I hope I can - I don't want to remove the muffler on my own if I can help it).
Looking under the car, will I have to remove the 2 x diagonal brace rails and aluminium plate below the gearbox to help with the removal / installation of the pipes?
The plan is to a) remove the rails and plate, b) remove the headers - no O2 sensors in Oz, c) remove the cat pipes / O2 sensors after unbolting at the muffler.
I assume the installation (as they say) is in reverse order.
And can I reuse the header bolts - assuming they come out OK?

Any handy hints greatly accepted.

BYprodriver 01-25-2012 03:55 PM

Sounds like you have a good plan, no need to touch muffler. The higher you get the car up the easier it will be. Try to support front & rear so that the car is level to minimize shifting of suspension parts when removing brace. You can reuse header bolts if they come out ok just use some anti-seize on threads. Hey if I knew you were getting secondary pipes too I would have told you to get 97-99 pipes they are smaller so minimize low rpm torque loss!

Johnny Danger 01-25-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Tinker (Post 275678)
I'm just about to install new headers and cat delete pipes (but retain the rear muffler) on my 2001 S.
Before I squeeze my old bones under the car, I need a couple of pointers from people who have already completed the installation.

I assume that I can remove the headers first and then pull out the cat section of the exhaust system without actually removing the standard muffler (at least I hope I can - I don't want to remove the muffler on my own if I can help it).
Looking under the car, will I have to remove the 2 x diagonal brace rails and aluminium plate below the gearbox to help with the removal / installation of the pipes?
The plan is to a) remove the rails and plate, b) remove the headers - no O2 sensors in Oz, c) remove the cat pipes / O2 sensors after unbolting at the muffler.
I assume the installation (as they say) is in reverse order.
And can I reuse the header bolts - assuming they come out OK?

Any handy hints greatly accepted.

The oem exhaust is comprised of 3 basic segments : headers and precats, secondary cats and cat-back (muffler) . They can all be removed separate of one another . It sounds like your approach is fine .