Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #1

Glass Top Install Question

Last night I installed a top and frame from a 2003 Boxster on my 2001S. The installation was not difficult but it took two people. After the install, I noticed that the clamshell will not fully close when the top is completely open and the front locating pins come to rest on top of the black windshield piece when the top is closed, but before the latch is fastened. I can grab the front bow and guide it in to the receivers on either side of the windshield top then close the latch and it seems fine. The latch does not come in contact with the plexiglass screen when opening. As far as the clamshell is concerned, if I push down on the folded top after it is open, the clamshell will close more, but still not completely. Does anyone have any ideas about what adjustments can be done to correct these problems? Thanks in advance. John

linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #2

Garage
I put an 04 top on my 02 last year, and it is a great update!
My clamshell didn't fully close for the first few cycles, but it was very close. My main issue was that the latch just barely touched the plexiglass. I re-read the DIY from Boxstaboy and Schoir (and I think I PMed one or both) and adjusted the whole top forward a little. I couldn't even really see it move as I held it all the way forward and tightened the bolts, but it solved the latch problem, and the clamshell closed all the way. Not sure if they were related or not.
Hopefully one of them will answer, otherwise I would PM Schoir. He has a lot of knowledge in this area.
Good luck!
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #3

I spoke with SChoir at length this afternoon and sincerely appreciate his help. When I got home from work I carefully examined the top frame after removing the corners of the headliner and discovered that one of the brackets connecting the B pillar to the adjacent top bow was broken. It is snapped in half. I removed the 2003 top and will reinstall the old top until I can come up with a solution. I believe the broken bracket was preventing the top from closing all the way, thus preventing the clamshell from closing completely. I will update when I find a solution.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #4

The part number of the lever that is broken is 98656134500. Does anyone have a junk top laying around that they would be willing to sell this part from? Thanks. John
Old 03-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #5

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I just put a 2004 top on my 2000 Boxster and I appear to be experiencing the same problem MN 986 had.

In order to "move the top forward" it appears that I have two possibilities:

1. Loosen the three bolts on each side that hold the top to the frame of the car and push the entire assembly forward.

2. Play with the adjustment of the top push rod.

I'm thinking that the best solution is to loosen the three bolts, and try to push it forward, but I'm hoping someone else has already found the answer.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #6

Here's a picture showing the gap created by the clam shell's failure to close all the way with the top open:

Here's how it looks with the top closed - note the lack of a gap.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 03-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #7

I found this post on Renntech: Soft top adjustment - 986 Boxster Top Issues and Solutions - RennTech.org Forums

That post suggests that you can adjust the rear main bow of the convertible top frame by turning the 14mm adjusting bolt Counter-clockwise. This seems like it could lower the rear main bow of the top and thus lower the entire top enough for the clam shell to close on top of it.

Of course it could also bust the rear window.