986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Questions for 987 Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3335)

Carl AMG 08-04-2005 04:40 AM

Questions for 987 Owners

I took delivery of my '06 Boxster S (see http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2807) earlier this week and have a couple of questions for 987 owners:

1. The manual suggests the windows can be closed when locking the car by holding the lock button until the windows close. I have this feature on my AMG but I can't make the windows go up with the key on the Boxster S. Any tricks I am not aware of?

2. It doesn't seem that the passenger compartment monitoring system is working. I locked the vehicle with the top down and put my arms in various parts of the cabin and no alarm. However, if I open the glove box, etc. the alarm goes off. Am I missing something here as well?

Thanks in advance!

Carl AMG 08-04-2005 11:43 AM

bumping in hopes of some input

SD987 08-04-2005 12:01 PM

Left (9:00) lowers, right (3:00) raises. Seems straightforward, maybe just a bit more l/r than on other cars with this feature (my bmw convertible) and the window actually seems to go up and down faster than from inside controls.

I don't think I have cockpit monitoring on my base.

bhduxbury 08-04-2005 12:08 PM

carl -- i don't really know the answer to your alarm question, but it reminded me of a thread -- but does this thread point you in the right direction?

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2637&highlight=clip+alarm

brett

eslai 08-04-2005 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl AMG
I took delivery of my '06 Boxster S (see http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2807) earlier this week and have a couple of questions for 987 owners:

1. The manual suggests the windows can be closed when locking the car by holding the lock button until the windows close. I have this feature on my AMG but I can't make the windows go up with the key on the Boxster S. Any tricks I am not aware of?

2. It doesn't seem that the passenger compartment monitoring system is working. I locked the vehicle with the top down and put my arms in various parts of the cabin and no alarm. However, if I open the glove box, etc. the alarm goes off. Am I missing something here as well?

Thanks in advance!

You might want to take another look through your owner's manual--mine clearly states that the windows go up and down only if you stick your key in the lock and turn it, as SD987 suggests. Unfortunately, it does NOT go up or down with the buttons on the key. :(

As for the passenger compartment monitoring, I'm told that there's an infrared system in the car only if the top is up. I haven't tested that theory though.

RandallNeighbour 08-04-2005 07:42 PM

If your 06 is anything like all the other previous boxsters, the infrared system doesn't work with the top down unless you have popped on a red clip to "fool" the car into thinking the top is up.

I have a red clip for my 97 and it works great with the top down. I bet it's the same for your 06. Go to the dealership's parts counter and ask for the small red clip. If they have them, and most do, it will be five bucks.

Carl AMG 08-05-2005 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eslai
You might want to take another look through your owner's manual--mine clearly states that the windows go up and down only if you stick your key in the lock and turn it, as SD987 suggests. Unfortunately, it does NOT go up or down with the buttons on the key. :(

As for the passenger compartment monitoring, I'm told that there's an infrared system in the car only if the top is up. I haven't tested that theory though.

Thanks to everyone for the information. I'll try to see if my windows are working as they should. It seems the big owners manual says you need to have the key in the lock but the quick reference guide suggests you can press and hold button #1 on the key (like my MB).

Would the passenger compartment monitoring be activated with the top up but the windows down? I think the alarm system detects a fault when the windows are down and gives the horn warning but I believe everything else is activated.

I now know I need to make sure I wait for a period of time after arming to check the system. Thanks for putting up with the "new owner figuring the car (and owners manual) out" questions.

Rail26 08-05-2005 10:49 AM

Carl, let me know if you get the window thing working. I didn't think the windows rolled down with the key (my Nissan Maxima did), but I am frequently wrong.

derrick 08-07-2005 12:35 AM

the alarm system is not a "conventional" alarm.

it only sounds when doors are forcibly opened.
no infra-red or anything. not sure if it even has knock sensors.

overall, a pretty average alarm sys.

Carl AMG 08-08-2005 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail26
Carl, let me know if you get the window thing working. I didn't think the windows rolled down with the key (my Nissan Maxima did), but I am frequently wrong.

Mine do not appear to be working with either the key or button method. I'll have the dealer look at it when I first have the car in the shop.

However, my passenger compartment monitoring is working fine.

Carl AMG 08-08-2005 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derrick
the alarm system is not a "conventional" alarm.

it only sounds when doors are forcibly opened.
no infra-red or anything. not sure if it even has knock sensors.

overall, a pretty average alarm sys.

This is not the case for my 987. My passenger compartment monitoring via infra-red is working fine.

bxstr-lvr 08-09-2005 07:12 AM

The alarm on the 987 does have passenger compartment monitoring - but the top must be up. If the windows are down I think the motion sensors are still active. As far as the windows I have never had it work without putting the key in the door.