986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Porsche CEO: Current generation won't appreciate small roadster (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33307)

ekam 01-16-2012 11:02 AM

Porsche CEO: Current generation won't appreciate small roadster

Porsche CEO Says Current Generation Wouldn't Appreciate Small Roadster

thstone 01-16-2012 01:26 PM

Yeah, they have to wait until all of us who lived through the last low-end Porsche (924) have forgotten.

Eric G 01-16-2012 02:09 PM

Tide comes in and the tide goes out. To suggest that a generation may need to pass IMO appears to be a bit presumptuous.

With the downgrade of the European credit ratings and austerity taking hold in more and more countries, I expect to see pocket books more tightly held and luxury items in the price bracket they are looking at to be less then robust.

sailing1 01-16-2012 03:07 PM

You know way back when I was commuting 100 miles a day I bought a good used 924. Was it a 911 -- not even close. But I drove it 50,000 miles with almost no out of pocket expenses save a set of tires and it was lots more rewarding than anything else I could have purchased in that price range. Don't want another one but don't regret it one bit.

Burg Boxster 01-16-2012 03:34 PM

Actually, this is a dilemma [almost] all car mfgs are facing... a declining audience. While "we" are car enthusiasts, today's Millennial XYZ Gen is not.

WSJ had an article in the last two weeks citing numbers to support this. Something like 30 years ago, 80% of USA teens age 18 had their driver's license. Today it's somewhere below 66.66%. The desire to drive apparently eludes the younger generation these days. Further, those in their 20's desire only access to a car a la zipcar but not to necessarily own one.

WSJ Article Link

So, is Porsche making the right call trying to go upstream until downstream is better figured out by those who solely depend on it. Can't say it's a bad move provided the audience will still buy... which at this point is strongly that they will. Otherwise, let the mass play in that sandbox until the "formula" is figured out in how to attract younger buyers profitably.

:)

Jager 01-16-2012 03:55 PM

Wait until the next generation?? What about us baby boomers that want a nice daily driver roadster? Guess I will be buying another Boxster... I'm sure that's their plan, force me to buy a $100k Boxster. :D

blue2000s 01-16-2012 03:56 PM

Interesting strategy, try to increase sales numbers by going upmarket. It's bass ackwards and will just make the mark less interesting to me, personally. Maybe the philosophy is that wealthier people are more tolerant of the kind of glaring engineering errors and lack of acceptance of responsibility that Porsche seems to practice.

Dissapointing, but not surprising.

landrovered 01-16-2012 03:58 PM

To many of the XYZ generation a car is no different than a washing machine or a dishwasher, it is a transportation appliance. They would be happy buying them at Best Buy if it came with a free iPad. I hate to say it but the Tata Nano is their idea of a car. Have you ever noticed that all today's econoboxes look like clothes irons anyway?

coreseller 01-16-2012 05:43 PM

From my experience, a small minority of today's teens are still interested in cars but from a very different perspective than my generation (last of the baby boomers). Today's teens that are interested in cars seem to be more influenced by it's status factor than it's actual abilities. I can understand that, how many actually wrench on cars or could point out an air filter housing. For that matter how many adults under 40 could do the same? Think about everything else at their disposal today vs. 20 plus years ago, do they really need a car to interact socially? A vehicle is still a necessity for some (work, school) unless their parents cave and drag them everywhere. I hate to say it but I agree with the CEO, the market is a changin'.

Topless 01-16-2012 07:24 PM

I had to laugh a little when I saw this: "Current Generation Wouldn't Appreciate Small Roadster"
It's code for: "Modern day Brits and Americans are great big fat people."

So true, so true.

Pat 01-17-2012 06:28 AM

LOL, spot on, Topless.

ekam 01-17-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landrovered (Post 274546)
To many of the XYZ generation a car is no different than a washing machine or a dishwasher, it is a transportation appliance. They would be happy buying them at Best Buy if it came with a free iPad. I hate to say it but the Tata Nano is their idea of a car. Have you ever noticed that all today's econoboxes look like clothes irons anyway?

If kids want a car, there's no doubt that they want the GT-R... very fast, capable car but it's basically a Playstation 3 on wheels.

I think there's an article somewhere that kids from 13-16 year old have more desire for an iPhone4 than a car.

Perfectlap 01-17-2012 07:45 AM

a small minimalist roadster will simply highlight the fact that new offerings like the new Boxster and 911, are geared toward the Lexus convertible and Jaguar and BMW sedan buyers, respectively, that they are trying to woo towards the new luxury Porsche brand.
The idea that only younger people have an interest in a car with a short wheel base and lighter curb weight is absurdity. But then again this is the same management that told factory Porsche drivers like Patrick Long that they would be given Boxsters for personal use before "earning the privilege" of being issued a Carrera.

Ghostrider 310 01-17-2012 09:06 AM

Some of the "current generation" can't fit in a standard airline seat, how do you expect them to appreciate a "small" anything?

thstone 01-17-2012 09:34 AM

Speaking from direct experience (two boys, ages 17 and 19), teens today see the cell phone as the center of social interaction rather than the car (as my generation did). Why?

1. The new driving laws (can't drive anyone under 18-25 yrs old (depending on the state) until you've had your license for a year) effectively eliminated the car as the center of social interaction. Think about it; No driving around with your friends. No dating. No nothing. Kids can drive around alone and that's it. Having a car in high school almost becomes worthless.
2. Parents have been more than willing to become full-time chauffers for their kids. There's no need to learn to drive (or even be interested in it) when you have a chauffer on call 24/7.
3. The cost of buying a car, insurance, gas, maintenance, etc has risen substantially and fewer teens have easy access to jobs in this difficult economy.
4. Comfort with remote relationships. My generation grew up learning that relationships were primarily formed person to person because there was no easy way to maintain a long distance relationship. When your best friend moved away, the relationship ended because even calling long distance was too expensive. With the internet, younger generations have learned to stay close in touch with friends no matter where they are geographically located. Who needs a car when a lot of your friends don't even live near you?

blue2000s 01-17-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 274639)
a small minimalist roadster will simply highlight the fact that new offerings like the new Boxster and 911, are geared toward the Lexus convertible and Jaguar and BMW sedan buyers, respectively, that they are trying to woo towards the new luxury Porsche brand.
The idea that only younger people have an interest in a car with a short wheel base and lighter curb weight is absurdity. But then again this is the same management that told factory Porsche drivers like Patrick Long that they would be given Boxsters for personal use before "earning the privilege" of being issued a Carrera.

+1 on every word written here, PL.

Ghostrider 310 01-17-2012 10:33 AM

They should continue the Cayman R and Boxster Spyder concepts and offer stripped, lightened, road cars. Its a challenge to buy a Boxster without a navigation unit stuffed in the console..Every time I see that..:barf:

TPC 01-17-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 274541)
Actually, this is a dilemma [almost] all car mfgs are facing... a declining audience. While "we" are car enthusiasts, today's Millennial XYZ Gen is not.

:)

I firmly fit into the end of x start of Y depending on your definition. I own a 01 boxster S a 70 911S a 06 Ducati Monster and for daily use I drive an 09 9-3 saab sport combi and my wife is in a 10 A4 that I really want to trade in on a used cts-v wagon. I do almost all of my own work in my garage myself looking forward to doing my IMS very soon.

I think the graying of the car enthusiast is over exaggerated. After all what demo group is the Toyota Camry aimed at? Certainly not my age bracket.

With that being said my 3 year old has been watching formula one since she was born with me and this will be her third year to go to Sebring. Will she be a car enthusiast I hope so but it's up to us as car enthusiast parents to give your kid a fighting chance. Next time their playing on their iPad or iphone tell them to utube some classic Le Mans Porsche footage.

Off my gen xy soap box.

fivepointnine 01-17-2012 05:25 PM

I am also at the tail end of Gen X/beginning of Y....most people my age are content driving a camry, sentra, accord, etc (actually most want trucks that I know) But my neices and nephews are not into cars at all, they are content having my brothers and sister drive them around all day instead of getting their licenses.

I was in line at the license branch the 1st day I was eligible for a license, I had my first car when I was 15 (I worked all summer to save up for it)

my 9 year old and I were watching international touring cars on TV Sunday

DenverSteve 01-17-2012 05:37 PM

I don't see the problem as one of people not being interested in the cars. First of all, Porsche has never been targeted at "kids" or anyone young- too expensive. Second, and the main problem as I see it, Porsche never had a problem with their "marque" when their sales target was to sell out the 50,000 units of 911's they made per year. Now that they've decided to almost triple that, they have to cater to the highest common denominator - the SUV crowd who obviously don't have a problem spending the money, they just want something they can take their dogs, kids and possessions in with them.

Nobody want's to exist with a backpack and their car. Most traveler's on airlines carry more onboard with them than will fit easily in the Boxster. Too much stuff - not to mention the afore mentioned "junk in the trunk" super-sized driver.