Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #1

Boxster/ Warranty

I am the proud new owner of a 2005 Carmona Red Boxster ! I actually got it in Knoxville Tennessee from www.usimotors.com (see pics on site). It has 17,700 miles. I paid 27.5k and that was with some negotiation. I like to negotiate and I think thats part of the fun!I only wanted that color with either gray or black interior. It happened and I bought it. Nice dealership and they only sell high end cars (Bentleys, Ferrari, Maserati) I bought it on line. I had the car shipped to San Francisco. I got to see it and drive it for the first time last Saturday. Nice, nice car. Shipper was great (Grand Tourismo) and got it out here in 1 week.

I have decided to buy a warranty. I have been reading about the problems these cars can have. I just dont have big bucks for repairs, so want the insurance...Plan on keeping the car a long time. I started doing a warranty search, and seems nobody really has a good reputation (or people certainly like to complain about them). I got a quote from Easy Care 4/48k warranty $5400, then Direct Buy warranty $2700- Lets talk about these people for a moment...Offering same type of warranty ( I think anyway) and if I purchased it by 3pm today they would add another year of warranty or 5/60k, plus throw in some other freebies...I started this morning before I left from work. I finally put my phone on vibrate as a diff rep would contact me every hour (lol). Any thoughts? I was picking up on something isnt right...or they were having a sale on warranties.Go figure!

Now for all you people in SFBay Area you will find this interesting. I went to Rector Porsche(Burlingame) and they sell a warranty JM&A Group. I am quoted $3602 for Gold Plus 4/48 (250 ded) Called Livermore Porsche and they sell same warranty. Here is where it gets interesting. I was offered the Platinum plan (better than Gold plus) 4/48k $3500. (1k difference and better coverage)

Any experience with these warranty companies? Other warranty companies you might suggest? Thanks/Eric

ericbythebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #2

Always consider

that the special offer 'today only' 'just to you' is the sign of a deal that isn't going to be in your long term interest.

If their way of doing business was honestly in your favor they wouldn't need all those high pressure tactics and the high priced salespeople (that you ultimately are paying for).

You'll hear stories of people who made out by buying a warranty. Just as you'll hear stories of people who made money on the slot machines in Vegas. A few win big, a few break even, but by far the most folk lose. The odds are much more in favor of you in Vegas....at least 3x better. Consumer Reports says Extended Warranties pay out only about 30% of the $ they take in in repairs, the rest of the money you pay goes to selling, admin and profit.

And you run the risk of these companies going out of business leaving you stuck.

I've always self-insured for things I can afford to pay out on if something were to happen. And over a lifetime, I'm tens of thousands ahead. I insure big things like the house, car, liability...those have potential for bigger bills than I could pay.

I declined the Extended Warranty my '01S Boxster seller offered to transfer to me in favor of a lower purchase price. 5 years later I am way way ahead.

Consider instead doing the IMS replacement now and putting the rest of the $ into a savings account.
mikefocke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #3

Small World!!!

Ericbythebay,

It really is a small world. I just purchased a 2005 Seal Gray Base Boxster. Here is the small world part...I live in Knoxville and looked seriously at your Boxster but decided to purchase the Gray one from Carmax. I did two walk arounds on your car at USI Motors.

I had mine 1 day and the engine blew...but Carmax is paying the Porsche dealship to put a new engine in it. So besides the delay, I am very happy.

Your Carmona Red Boxster was in great shape and I was seriously tempted. USI is a good dealership (they are the SAAB factory dealership for our area by the way).

Anyway, small world from a person who was lusting after your car while you must have been putting the finishing touches on your deal!

Enjoy the car and tell it Knoxville says hello!

Extra
Extra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #4

all the emblems are pointed at the air valves on the tires - it's a winner!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Congratulations! Great looking car.

Generally aftermarket warranties favor the company rather than the buyer and these companies, as a group, are renown for denying claims.

Be sure to read all of the fine print and convince yourself that the warranty will actually cover the most likely high cost problems like IMS, RMS, all five chains and both tensioners, MAF, engine mount, etc.

Even with a warranty, you'll still need to keep $1,000 or more in reserve for maintenance/repairs that won't be covered under the warranty like tires, brakes, oil changes, 30K service, etc.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #6

Yes, it is a small world. Sorry to hear about your Boxster! Glad to here Carmax backs up there vehicles. I looked at there as well, but just thought they were a little expensive, and wouldnt haggle...I think I paid a fair price and honestly, I would have paid asking as I wanted that car, color/options and low mileage. I did a car fax on the and it was maintained by Harper Porsche in Knoxville since new and it got 2OK service from the dealer in July. Not sure why somebody would trade in a car that was so meticulously maintained. It got oil changes once a year and nothing was overlooked. I bet they are regretting it, or maybe there is something I dont know... I have the funds for normal items, but I (after reading the boards) wanted the big ticket items covered. Dealerships I hope wouldnt sell a warranty that causes a lot of problems to the buyer. I discussed this very thing with Porsche of Livermore and was advised the owner of the dealership also owns the Jag/Bentley/Sports car store in San Francisco. He wouldnt offer a product to people buying a car like these that wasnt reputable. They also want the business as most of the people would bring car into there dealer for service and warranty work. They certainly dont want the customer telling them "you recommended the warranty and you sell it" Why do you sell it if its no good? Hopefully, I dont have to use it for big ticket items. I am though a little concerned about 3 dealerships selling same warranty and such a price variation. I went onto www. Yelp.com and found out which dealer was providing best service. I gotta admit all 3 had 4 stars which is pretty good. I am going to bring up these items tomorrow with Carlsen Porsche and see if they are covered under the JM &A warranty company. I also today got another 5 calls from Direct Warranty wanting me to sign up with them....
Old 08-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

"...Hopefully, I dont have to use it for big ticket items."

Big ticket items are the primary reason to buy a warranty. If you don't think that you'll need it for big ticket items then it's definitely not cost effective.

I bought both of my BMW's as CPO vehicles with extended factory warranties (which are much better than any aftermarket warranty). I paid about $2,500 for the CPO assurance and extended warranty on each vehicle. From my point of view, I broke even on my X5 (retail price of covered repairs was about $2,500) and lost money on the 325i (retail price of covered repairs was much less than $2,500). From the dealer point of view, the warranty on both cars was profitable because they pay internal wholesale prices for parts and labor saving quite a bit over retail repair prices. However, I slept better knowing that I was covered in case of a big ticket item failure like an engine or a transmission.

Now, I "self insure" and have savings set aside for small and big ticket items.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:51 AM   #8

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbythebay
I am the proud new owner of a 2005 Carmona Red Boxster ! I actually got it in Knoxville Tennessee from www.usimotors.com (see pics on site). It has 17,700 miles. I paid 27.5k and that was with some negotiation. I like to negotiate and I think thats part of the fun!I only wanted that color with either gray or black interior. It happened and I bought it. Nice dealership and they only sell high end cars (Bentleys, Ferrari, Maserati) I bought it on line. I had the car shipped to San Francisco. I got to see it and drive it for the first time last Saturday. Nice, nice car. Shipper was great (Grand Tourismo) and got it out here in 1 week.

I have decided to buy a warranty. I have been reading about the problems these cars can have. I just dont have big bucks for repairs, so want the insurance...Plan on keeping the car a long time. I started doing a warranty search, and seems nobody really has a good reputation (or people certainly like to complain about them). I got a quote from Easy Care 4/48k warranty $5400, then Direct Buy warranty $2700- Lets talk about these people for a moment...Offering same type of warranty ( I think anyway) and if I purchased it by 3pm today they would add another year of warranty or 5/60k, plus throw in some other freebies...I started this morning before I left from work. I finally put my phone on vibrate as a diff rep would contact me every hour (lol). Any thoughts? I was picking up on something isnt right...or they were having a sale on warranties.Go figure!

Now for all you people in SFBay Area you will find this interesting. I went to Rector Porsche(Burlingame) and they sell a warranty JM&A Group. I am quoted $3602 for Gold Plus 4/48 (250 ded) Called Livermore Porsche and they sell same warranty. Here is where it gets interesting. I was offered the Platinum plan (better than Gold plus) 4/48k $3500. (1k difference and better coverage)

Any experience with these warranty companies? Other warranty companies you might suggest? Thanks/Eric
Monsieur ERIC-BY-THE-BAY:

I have had somewhat extensive personal experience with a number of "automobile service contract" companies in the U.S. (i.e, Warranty Companies), and I can honestly say, without fear of contradiction, that the only company that has dealt fairly (although they still had to/have to be gently prodded in the correct(ed) direction) is Warranty Direct , based in Uniondale, NY.

Others ...U.S. Fidelis comes to mind, as do myriad other companies that seem to pop up out of nowhere, sign up as many customers as possible through whatever sales channels they can wangle, and then die a (sometimes not-so-long) lingering death by way of the United States Bankruptcy Court (if they are in that particular "state" of affairs), and always, always (unless there is a bulldog out there who won't let them off so easily, and who will stop at nothing to bring them (and their accomplices) will try to avoid coming to the table so that they may then be allowed to pay up and to make other amends to the customer, arbitrator, etc.,

Then all is well, but reallly, most of the time it's very vexing when a relatively large (IMS and other engine failures come to mind) claim is submitted, especially because they will pay the nickel and dime claims to get your guard down...

A case in point regarding the preceding state
ment, is the cahoots that they are in with some other "consumer-protecting agencies" Can you say Better Business Bureau entities (e.g. a Better? Business? Bureau?)...

What is especially sad is that they seem to do it with impunity, and I'm also referring to icons singing their praises on TV ads....etc...

But, I digress...and have to travel to PA to continue... Haha!!!

Soooooh, to answer your question directly...If a "warranty company" or its insurer has been around for a good, long time, you are always better off dealing with them than with ANY fly-by-night, advertise-on- TV warranty company. Also, since you are in San Francisco, you enjoy an added level of protection from the California consumer protection apparatus.

Just my tow cents. ...(pun intended...Pun Intended )

Best
Regards,

Maurice. :dance: matchup:
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #9

Sweet...I've been eyeballing a Cayman in the same color....

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
Sweet...I've been eyeballing a Cayman in the same color....

Double Sweet... If it's a "Cayman Convertible" with those jewel tones, I'll take it!

A combination like Burg Boxster's 911 would be stupendous!

Regards, Maurice.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #11

Schoir

Schoir, any experience/knowledge of Fidelity Warranty Services ?

thanks.
jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiba
Schoir, any experience/knowledge of Fidelity Warranty Services ?

thanks.
Let me know what State you are in, where you purchased the Service Contract, etc... and I'll send you some educated information. Regardless of which one you choose, the motto "caveat emptor" has never been more a propos.

They are capitalizing on the phenomenon that no one wants to lift a finger any more....the "remote" control generation-amoebas-in- the-making mindset.

REgards, Maurice.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #13

Hi Maurice,

I am looking at JM&A Group, and primary reason is that 4 Porsche stores sell the same warranty. I have gotten (still waiting on 1 more) 3 quotes for the Platinum 6900 (Stead Motors Walnut Creek), 3520 (Livermore Porsche), & 4,200 Gold Plus (Rector Porsche Burlingame). Little surprised about the difference differences from these dealerships. I will get Carlson Porsche in Palo Alto quote tomorrow. I am also going to take a trip out to visit the dealerships over weekend (get to drive my car!) and see what they are all about...
Old 08-28-2011, 04:25 AM   #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbythebay
Hi Maurice,

I am looking at JM&A Group, and primary reason is that 4 Porsche stores sell the same warranty. I have gotten (still waiting on 1 more) 3 quotes for the Platinum 6900 (Stead Motors Walnut Creek), 3520 (Livermore Porsche), & 4,200 Gold Plus (Rector Porsche Burlingame). Little surprised about the difference differences from these dealerships. I will get Carlson Porsche in Palo Alto quote tomorrow. I am also going to take a trip out to visit the dealerships over weekend (get to drive my car!) and see what they are all about...
Eric:

Sorry, just came up for air after (actually it's still around for another 12 hours or so) our little Cat 1 Hurricane on Long Island (first one for me, this time in shorts and a Tee-Shirt.

The differences that you are seeing exist mainly because they can tweak these service contracts to suit their particular niche or market. Fortunately for you California is a very consumer oriented state so they do have constraints put on their activities. So, you have some protection already, that most don't have... Additionally, there are already Federal Warranty statutes that protect you, with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act being at the forefront.

(Cat Converter at up to 8 years/80k) no matter where you bought the car, etc...., you do not HAVE TO get ALL OF YOU SERVICE done at the dealer, you CAN INSTALL aftermarket parts and not void your warranty (but you have to do this discretely and they have to be quality parts, otherwise the dealer will set out to trot out umpteen bogus reasons why they won't help you/its not covered/it's the cause of the failure for which you brought your car into the dealership.,. etc....

So, be very meticulous about keeping records if/when you pull the trigger to buy one of these warranties, and make sure that you read the fine print before you turn over your Benjamins.

IMNHO, the dealers that you mentioned, must be playing a shell game of sorts. If they weren't, they would be hard pressed to answer or even to justify to themselves why all they MUST squeeze every last dime out of each and every customer that walks in AND why they have all little "profit centers" including the one that promotes, sells/ handles the service contract.

Let us know which one, if any, you ended up getting or, better yet, tell us what kind of deal you got......

REgards, Maurice.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #15
Matt

Too many threads just die off. Eric, did you ever decide on a company? I went with Direct Buy for mine. For 5 years, additional 100,000 mile warranty with 0 deductible, I had to to it. A simple rear seal leak would be 1,200, a window controller is over 600, and Heaven forbid a big repair. For the $2,600 price it will likely pay for itself. That's what it's for, in case it's used. It's also fully transferable so if/when I sell the car it goes with it.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
Registered Boxster abuser

Are you aware aftermarket warranties for the most part are negotiable as far as the price?
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #17
Matt

Those that are resold such as those sold by the dealership and second-party resellers are. It's wiser, I believe, to get it directly from the underwriter. I got mine from Direct Buy and it's a bumper-bumper 5 yr. additional 100,000 mile warranty with zero deductible. Didn't find one from the dealer that compared. At $2,600 one window and a leak will consume most of this forget a serious issue. All insurance policies and warranty's are "worthless" until needed, then they are golden.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #18

I bought a policy with Direct Warranty when I bought my 2007 Boxster S (new). A 6-year plan w/100,000 miles for $2500. For the 1st 4 years I was under the Porsche warranty and if something broke, it was free. Currently, my car is in the shop for a non-working door lock, a window regulator, and adjustment of the convertible top. The cost will be $1500. But Warranty Direct will only pay $900. The other $600 will be my reponsibility. It seems that the Porsche dealer charges Porsche rates and Direct Warranty pays 'average' rates. Is this right? I don't know. I am recovering some of the initial $2500 cost of the warranty, but I don't think I will recover the full amount at expiration. Bottom line: I am 'self-insuring' my next car, or I am buying the Porsche dealership warranty. No more aftermarket policies for me.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #19

It depends on your company's written policy. Whether it is a negotiated or non-negotiated type of coverage. I know my quote for a regulator replacement is $636. What was yours? I know that it's unlikely that EVERY piec or part will ultimately be covered but with long-term coverage, my policy will pay for itself during my ownership, and it's transferable.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #20

I also went with direct buy as a warranty provider.

I will be dropping my car off at the shop today for brakes and I have few issues the warranty should cover from what I read.

1. Blinker is not staying in the left turn position.

2. Window Micro-switch is faulty

3. Starter squealing

So we shall see how directbuy handles my claims and I will report back.

human986 is offline   Reply With Quote