Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2005, 03:20 AM   #1

Sweaky Seat

Can a driver seat fall out of alignment? I'm constantly being bother with a sweaky noise coming from the driver seat rubbing against the roll bar on its right side. It was like that when I purschased the 01 last December. I have long legs, so moving the seat closer to the dash isn't much of a solution. Just curious.

spgribben007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:04 AM   #2

Mine does not touch like that even in the full back, full reclined position in the 2000 MY. Does the seat feel loose at all?

If you decide to pull it out and look at it, make sure you disconnect the battery for 30-45 minutes before you do it and put the seat back in before reconnecting the battery. Otherwise you'll get the wonderful airbag light and have to pay your dealer a hefty fee to turn it off.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 AM   #3

deliriousga - No, it's not loose and thanks for the heads up on the airbag light.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:49 PM   #4

What's a Sweaky seat?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:51 AM   #5

The seat is not sqeaky. It's the rubbing of the seat against the roll bar.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:20 AM   #6

Have I stumped all of the porsche techs? Would putting washers on one side where the chair is mounted to the floor cure the problem and is it safe? Just throwing out ideas.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:24 AM   #7

I think a couple of washers on that side of the seat would probably work. The bolts are fairly long. But, it looks like you may need so many of them that it would cause a safety concern with not enough threads being buried in the floorboard.

Just don't risk it and find yourself braking hard one day and one or both of them come loose. That would be an awfully wierd feeling followed by a poor driving experience if not an accident.

You could always find longer bolts though.

But, it also makes sense to look at the rollbar. Was it installed wrong? How does the other seat fit against it when fully reclined like the driver's side is now? ...just something to consider to rule out the rollbar.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:55 AM   #8

The passenger seat is perfectly align with equal amount of space. Is there any kind of alignment for seats to adjust besides the electronic ones on the side?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:04 AM   #9

No other alignment or adjustment gizmos appear on my seats. I bet yours are the same.

From what you're saying, the driver's seat alone is the source of the problem. A couple of washers fore and aft on the inside of the driver's seat should stop that squeaking and move the seat upright a little.

Don't forget to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for a half hour prior to disconnecting any seat belt wires. You'll need your radio code if you do this as well.

Frankly, I don't think you need to disconnect the battery or any wires under your seat. Just remove the two bolts on the inside fore and aft of the seat and slide in some washers under the frame and bolt it back down.

But if you're anything like me, you'd really like to yank that seat out and have a good look at why it's sitting oddly in the first place. If this is you, then do disconnect the battery!
Old 08-08-2005, 10:08 AM   #10

RandallNeighbour, Thanks for the info.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgribben007
The passenger seat is perfectly align with equal amount of space. Is there any kind of alignment for seats to adjust besides the electronic ones on the side?
If the passenger seat is ok, then it sounds like something's out of whack underneath. I bet it's in the area where the seat back attaches.

Does the seat bottom feel like it's crooked compared to the passenger side? If not, you probably just need to pull out the seats and compare everything to see if one is loose or missing a bolt. It may be bent somewhere. There's really no way to tell without pulling them out.

If you do it, the front rail covers only have one screw in them. You need an inverted torx socket for the seat bolts. I believe 10mm, but don't quote me on that unless someone else can confirm it. The electrical connections have slide clamps you can feel and the seat just comes right out.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:34 AM   #12

deliriousga, The seat slides and feels like the passenger seat. I'll take a look at the back and as soon as I can get a inverted torx socket set I'll let you know what I find. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:20 AM   #13

If the seatback alone is bent and not the seat bottom cushion, raising one side is gonna feel weird.

I never thought of that. Sorry for any misleading advice!

I am scratching my head thought as to why you have this problem in the first place. Someone very heavy may have thrown themselves into the driver's seat and bent the backrest.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I am scratching my head thought as to why you have this problem in the first place. Someone very heavy may have thrown themselves into the driver's seat and bent the backrest.
My wife can answer this question. She is a tall woman so she puts the seat all the way back then tries to get the "gangsta lean" going to keep from hitting her hair on the roof. The seatback gets about 3/4 back and it hits the firewall and shoves the base of the seat forward. I'm sure this stresses the seatback joint heavily.