Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #1

Question 18" or 19" Wheels on Boxster

I'll soon be ordering an 06 Boxster S and am down to the short strokes as far as deciding options. One area that I'm back and forth on is which rims to go with. I've read that the 19s are a rougher ride without PASM and the 18s are recommended as better all-round performers. The 19s do look sweet, but I'm interested to hear a few opinions from the experienced masses.

Thanks,
Rob

rpdelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:08 PM   #2

The 19's are 911 staple, go with the 18's standard on boxster S, they cost less, rides better on freeway, and they are specifically designed for the boxster.
IMHO.
speedyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:57 AM   #3

The 18s work perfectly for me on my 987S w/o PASM.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:05 AM   #4

I think 18's look perfect and have the best all around performance on the 986's and 987's. IMO the 19's look a little too big (too bling for a sports car) and 17's look a little too small.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:32 AM   #5

I just picked up my '06 S (with PASM) yesterday. I ordered the 19" Carreras because I think they look better than the standard Boxster S wheels and the option price wasn't that bad considering what a set costs to purchase outright.

However, I will be buying a set of 18" wheels to mount R compounds for the track and autocross. I hope to buy some take off Boxster S wheels or possibly Cayman S 18" wheels if the cost isn't prohibitive.

If you go with 18's you may be able to order the Cayman S wheels as an option. I ordered my '06 before the order guide was available but I believe they are another 18" wheel option at this point.
Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:42 AM   #6

I too was torn between which wheels to order... I went with the 18'' and love them. The ride is firm, but not jarring. In fact my wife even commented it was smoother than the 4 Runner she drives. I always get compliments on the wheels. I almost think the 19" look a little large on the Boxster.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:27 AM   #7

I currently ride on 19's, love the look, then swap over to the 18's for track. They handle better than the 19's too.

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:02 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Thanks for the comments all. I'm leaning towards the 18s right now for many of the reasons listed below, I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to give them a test ride in a few weeks. I'm sure they won't disappoint.

Cheers,
Rob
rpdelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:22 PM   #9

Why 18s for the track? I would think that the 19s would be firmer, have less tire roll. The overall wheel-tire size is the same isn't it ... with the difference just being more rim less rubber on the 19s.

Curious
Skols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skols
Why 18s for the track? I would think that the 19s would be firmer, have less tire roll. The overall wheel-tire size is the same isn't it ... with the difference just being more rim less rubber on the 19s.

Curious
Somewhere think I read that ex-rally ace and Porsche test driver Walter Röhrl drove the 987S with both 18-inch and 19-inch wheels on the Nürburgring track and expressed a personal preference for the grip and handling of the 18-inchers. And I do think the reason was something about there being more rubber surface on the road with the 18" tires.

Am I recalling correctly? Does anyone have a link?

BTW, I have expressed a preference for the look of the 18" Carrera III wheels over the 19" Carerra Classic wheels (only the latter of which apparently are factory options for the Boxster).

So, if somehow you could order a Boxster S with 18-inch Carrera III wheels, you might have the only car with such a configuration. (You can see the Carrera III's as the standard wheels on the "build your own Carrera Coupe" page of porscheusa.com)

Last edited by SoCal; 08-03-2005 at 03:15 PM.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skols

Curious

That's exactly what I thought initially, then swapping over the the 19's it was WASY apperant the 18's handled the road better......I have yet to put on my Coil overs and have the car aligned with the 19's...that may change things

KRZ

KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote