986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   After you order a new MY 2006 Boxster . . . (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3298)

SoCal 07-31-2005 05:06 PM

After you order a new MY 2006 Boxster . . .

what kind of information can you expect to get from the dealership?

The build date?

The ship date?

The estimated arrival date?

Is there any way to know whether the car was built on a Monday? Like from the VIN? (I understand that "Monday" in Finland or Germany is like "Friday" in the US -- you'd prefer your car not be built on that day.)

Any other information the dealer should be able to provide between the date you place your order and the day the car arrives?

lexuspilot 07-31-2005 05:59 PM

All orders from States beginning with "C" are built on Fridays after lunch or on the Tuesday following German Beer Festival four day weekends.

Everyone knows this...

Seriously, anyone know?

Carl AMG 08-01-2005 04:24 AM

Information on Order

The dealer can check their system for build date, ship dates, transport vessel, in port dates, etc. You'll just need to bug your dealer to give you this information if it's important to you.

I know it's important for a lot of us enthusiasts to have this information but your salesman may or may not keep you up to date if you don't ask. My salesman didn't (other than telling me it was on the boat) and when I finally asked on Friday I found out my car was at ther dealer and had already been through mechanical PDI.

I pick up my '06 Boxster S today after work today. I got to see it on Saturday but had other plans that prevented me from picking it up then. It's going to be a LONG day at work.

Brucelee 08-01-2005 06:05 AM

The VIN number does not tell you when your box was built. It will tell you what country it was assembled in and the sequence of build order.

If you search on VIN number here, you should be able to find my post on what the VIN number actually tells you.

Good luck.

:cheers:

frankkerfoot 08-16-2005 05:50 AM

[QUOTE=Brucelee]The VIN number does not tell you when your box was built. It will tell you what country it was assembled in and the sequence of build order.

If you search on VIN number here, you should be able to find my post on what the VIN number actually tells you.

I got my 2006 Boxster S about 2 weeks ago (ordered in May). The VIN number has an S as the 11th digit, indicating a Stuttgart build, but the top of the window sticker says: "Final assembly point: Uusikaupunki Finland". Do they just use one flavor of window stickers, and the VIN number is the real key, or what?

Thanks in advance,
Frank

Brucelee 08-16-2005 06:03 AM

As I understand it, the VIN would be the accurate build location.

slogans7 08-16-2005 09:48 AM

[QUOTE=frankkerfoot]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
"Final assembly point: Uusikaupunki Finland"

Ah, this explainis why I keep detecting traces of smelt in my vehicle