Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #21

A buddy of mine just bought a 997 turbo modded with 550hp, PCCB, and aftermarket warranty in the 60s.... I would go that route every day of the week over most anything out there right now, especially a new boxster.

Then again, if you were open to used, you could also do a 1-2 yo boxster and save a bundle of cash and have a wonderful car.

nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Johnny, key distinction, the car I would be buying will be under warranty, I've done some reading on cars like the one you posted, a scheduled maintenance can be 10K and on some Ferrari models scheduled maintenance requires engine out.
Certain that it is, ferraris are expensive to maintain . However, 10k is well beyond any regular service requirement . Also, the engine does not have to be remove on the 360 like other models .
Old 12-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #23
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Ghost - If the 255hp in the new Boxster is anything as fast as the 250hp in my 2000 'S' it will feel wonderfully fast. I have to agree with schnellman, if you are driving the twistys in NY you'll have a blast with the base. I've been driving a friends Cayman 'R' a lot recently (330hp) and if I wind it up at all I'm going so darn fast I have to brake to not get my license taken away. My car and the Cayman 'R' feel so different, mine is more raw and the Cayman so refined (truly a pleasure to drive)...if the new base Boxster feels the same it would be a pleasure to drive even with 75 less hp.

Good luck with your choice! Have you checked out any used 2009 'S's?
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:58 AM   #24
Ex Esso kid

Whip, I'm keeping all my options open, 2009 S models with exceptionally low mileage can be had at reasonable prices when you contrast them against new. A certified car would save a ton and the savings could be put back into extending the warranty. I will know by February whether this is a possible move in my life, just in time for prime drop top negotiating season.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 12-11-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:44 AM   #25

The point I wanted to make and others have also said is that you will feel 40-50 extra hp. But after you buy the new vehicle, that level then becomes the norm and you quickly forget how much faster it is than your previous car. So the bottom line is if you feel a Gen 2 base fills your needs, go for it.

VitaminC makes a good point about resale value. Gen 1 base Caymans (esp with Tips) have really dropped in value. You can get an 08 base for about the same price as an 06S. If you're going to keep this car for 10-15 yrs, it probably doesn't matter. But if you get the 4 or 5 yr itch, it's something to consider.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:51 AM   #26
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Ghost - Talking about cost, the pricing on these is all over the place. I was looking at used ones last night at the local dealership, the difference in the Base to 'S' price is most interesting. There is a beautiful red 2010 base with 10k miles for $42500 then right beside it a 2006 'S' with 34k miles for $38,000. That 2006 seems way over priced though I think it had Nav and Bluetooth which the base doesn't seem to have.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #27
Ex Esso kid

Whip, I like the dealer rep at my place just fine but their pricing is off IMO. They have a RS60, 2008 is the year I think of that car, @ 39,900 might have been 49,900 but I think it was 39, it has a chip right in the center of the hood they tried to fix like any of us would instead of taking it to their body shop and shooting the entire hood. The 911 cabrio they have is @ 79,900 I think it had 20K on it and was an 09, again seems higher than a bigger city. I'm going to give the kid a shot as he let me drive my first pdk but I also intend on doing my homework to make sure I get a respectable no trade deal on whatever car I decide to buy.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #28

if you do go for a new car at least wait for the all new model . regardless of all the speculation it is going to be a better car all around.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #29
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
if you do go for a new car at least wait for the all new model . regardless of all the speculation it is going to be a better car all around.
Unless you like sports cars, that is...
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #30
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I would say give yourself the option of seeing what the 981 has to offer, but I'm a bit split on answering your question, Ghost.

One one hand, I say ~250hp is plenty for the street, and is a nice spot to land for a car that doesn't weight 4-5000lbs. Our cars are right around 3,000-ish, and regardless of what type of transmission is doing the work, the car's going to move. You'll have your civility and liveability for everyday driving, and enough grunt to get things moving when you need to overtake on the highway or when you want to get into some aggressive backroads.

On the other hand, as you've expressed that this is your last P-car purchase, the other side of me says if you're gonna go, might as well go big. A Boxster S, again regardless of what's driving it, is going to be a blast, and if you felt like spoiling/indulging yourself, why not go for it? For that matter, you could set your eyes on a Spyder if you don't mind literally having a rag for a top.

From what I've seen of your thought process, you have found a way to set up a base with options you'd like to have to where you'll be quite happy with it, and ring in under or at the price of an S. To do the same to an S would likely land you in higher cost territory than you would want. Anyone's going to feel a 50+hp difference unless they have no senses, but if the majority of your driving isn't going to make use of that potential, as many of the owners of garage queen Porsches will not, then go for a base with the options you want and be satisfied.

Besides, when gas hits $6-$7/gal, you'll be doing the slightest bit better at the pump than the guy with an S.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
S, I tend to agree, I have been involved in caring for a sick parent about a year now, in fact I just returned from showering my 84 yr old dad. Point being even though I never thought I would, with no children and a glimpse of what happens if you live long enough I figure, why not? Buy a new one that nobody else ragged this time with a warranty and the options I want. Seems most Boxster buyers are into bluetooth and the bose stereo, I could care less about that. Almost nobody grabs the PSE. The opposite argument remains a used Box S is easily obtained for the same money as a new base.
That is what I always tell my son. The only reason to buy a new Porsche is to option it the exact way you want, from color to options. I did that in 2006 with a Cayenne, exactly the way I wanted. Later when I added the Boxster S to the family I bought it used as it was very close to what I would order myself BUT still not the same (I would love it to have full leather interior, dashboard included what most Boxsters do NOT have). If this will be your last P car, go for what you want option wise. I have to agree HP is not everything.
Oh and if I were you I would add European delivery to the package! Picking up your brand new Porsche at the factory in Germany and driving it around Europe on vacation is an once in a lifetime experience. I would easily trade 30HP for that.

Cheers!

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #32

European delivery is an expensive add-on compared to the whopping DISCOUNT one gets when taking European delivery from BMW, Mercedes, or Audi.

Man, that pisses me off.

But I still dream of ordering a turbo Euro delivery and breaking it in on the Nurburgring
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #33

Hey Ghost,

I think I am reading you in this manner...last Porsche you will own, order it EXACTLY the way you want it! It is an exp none other than to have a car made to your specs.

Do you know the feeling you get when you add a mod, and "yeah, that is me, I did it." Well imagine a whole car...it will feel like you built it!!!

I ordered my 02 Box and 06 C6 Z51 exactly the way I wanted them, and those are still my two favorite cars thus far!

Sometimes buying a car can be too much of a $ thing. Have fun buying one, drive the piss out of it, and have a smile bigger than ever.

06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote