Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
Ex Esso kid

What choice would you guys make?

OK so in considering all options on future purchase, one can buy a new S, add PDK like I have to and you're up to 62K in a blink. Now, considering usable power on US roads and the fact they say a PDK base is respectable in keeping weight down, do you guys think 255 hp new car jump from the 98 2.5 is going to feel much faster? If so, one can get the sport exhaust, sport wheel, sport seats, and the design package with 19" spyder wheels painted black for less than the S with just PDK. Seems to me for the country roads I like the base might be enough car and with the added mods like lightened spyder wheels should go pretty good. As for the actual driving, the sport wheel is Ferrari (esk) and the exhaust sound would be cool, I'm leaing toward giving up power again for the other things that enhance the drive experience, what say you guys?

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:16 AM   #2

I could feel the difference when I went from an 01S with 250hp to my 08S with 295.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:19 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
I could feel the difference when I went from an 01S with 250hp to my 08S with 295.
An interesting comparison would be your 08S and a 2011 base, just to see how close they might feel or not so close, by the numbers one would think your car should spank it handily.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:19 AM   #4

Why do you have to have PDK? I'd never own a PDK Porsche because I like to row gears, and my cars are only toys not DD (no traffic and no city driving). Regardless if you can get a couple 1/10's faster PDK. I hear PDK is great, just not for my desired driving experience.

I'd always buy the HP now with the "S". Adding HP's to our cars down the road is VERY e$pen$ive, and suspect at best.

Buy an "S" now with the manual gear box, and when your budget allows add things like PSE, special seats and special wheels later.

Just an idea.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #5
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
Why do you have to have PDK? I'd never own a PDK Porsche because I like to row gears, and my cars are only toys not DD (no traffic and no city driving). Regardless if you can get a couple 1/10's faster PDK. I hear PDK is great, just not for my desired driving experience.

I'd always buy the HP now with the "S". Adding HP's to our cars down the road is VERY e$pen$ive, and suspect at best.

Buy an "S" now with the manual gear box, and when your budget allows add things like PSE, special seats and special wheels later.

Just an idea.

My left leg has permanent problems due to spinal stenosis from a mcy accident, otherwise I would have kept the car I sold.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:44 AM   #6

Imho

Apparently I'm in the minority here, but I don't think horsepower is the be all - end all. If I wanted horsepower I would have kept my Hemi Cuda. For me, a Boxster is about finesse. More ballet than boxing. Don't know what part of NY you're talking about, but if you get up around Tupper, Saranac, or Lake Placid, then you're talking about fantastic driving opportunities that you don't need the additional HP to appreciate. The Boxster is a direct descendent of the 550 Spyder and we all know how little power that Little Bastard had. Just my take on driving a true sports car.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
Ex Esso kid

S, I tend to agree, I have been involved in caring for a sick parent about a year now, in fact I just returned from showering my 84 yr old dad. Point being even though I never thought I would, with no children and a glimpse of what happens if you live long enough I figure, why not? Buy a new one that nobody else ragged this time with a warranty and the options I want. Seems most Boxster buyers are into bluetooth and the bose stereo, I could care less about that. Almost nobody grabs the PSE. The opposite argument remains a used Box S is easily obtained for the same money as a new base.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #8

Garage
Both my current ride and my previous 08 Cayman have about the same HP, and I would say it's plenty for the street. Sure, you may need an extra downshift to pass on the back roads, but so what?

Compared to your 98, I think either will feel substantially quicker.

Main reason to go with an S would be for resale potential.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #9

Thumbs up Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman View Post
Apparently I'm in the minority here, but I don't think horsepower is the be all - end all. If I wanted horsepower I would have kept my Hemi Cuda. For me, a Boxster is about finesse. More ballet than boxing.

schenllman is right on point:
I am perfectly happy with my 2011 Base, for me it has more than enough power to do whatever I want or need to do. I enjoy the handling and feel of the car and that wonderful intake howl It doesn't need to have an "S" on the trunk to make me feel better about it.

I really don't know what I would do with 50 more hp except use more fuel even in 'normal' driving.

But hey it's your choice and you are the one footing the bill, so whatever you like it's your baby!

Good luck with your decision
Old 12-10-2011, 07:30 AM   #10
Porscheectomy

I'm a fan of finesse cars. I have more fun with my 2300lb 100hp car than the 3000lb 250hp car. There's something about winding out an engine for all it's worth that makes for a satisfying experience. As opposed to exercising restraint all the time because it's so easy to go fast.

The only time that I've felt the S is anything but overly powerful is on the Track, where the car is so capable that I would have liked more push out of corners.

So I would probably go for a non-S with as few options as possible.

It's such a personal choice, though. We all are looking for something different.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-10-2011 at 07:32 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #11

More fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow... check your local state laws about what happens when you get caught speeding.

In this part of town we'll get our car towed and license suspended for 7 days(along with huge spike with car insurance) if we do 50km/h over.

Last edited by ekam; 12-10-2011 at 07:58 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
Ex Esso kid

Ekam, That isn't my concern, clearly it's not top end when the base is above 160. If anything I wish they made it a rocketship to 80 and it could top at 125 for all I care. It seems to me we buy these cars then attempt to find every extra hp we can, there is something to be said for buying the hp from Porsche in the first place. However, even with a slight weight gain the torque on the base went from 191 to 225 and the hp from 201 to 255. With a fast shifting seven speed that should be a fast car. This is my last one win, lose or engine explosion so it's either swing for the center field fence or forever hold your regrets.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #13

You'll attempt to find every extra hp you can on EVERY car... because there's always a faster car out there!!!

It's not called a modding bug for nothing.

If you're so fixated on horsepower I suggest you get a GTR.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #14
Track rat

Garage
It just doesn't matter Ghost. Flip a coin, pick out a car and drive it well. Be satisfied with whatever choice you make. They are both great cars.

Would I own a Cay S? Sure maybe someday. I have driven several of them and I do love the car with PDK. So many cars, so little time. Until then I thoroughly enjoy my little 13 year old base 2.5L pea shooter every time I drive it. If someone suggests that my car somehow doesn't measure up, it is just a reflection of their own insecurities.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #15
Ex Esso kid

Ekam, it's not about hp and thanks but the GTR is ugly imo. What it's about is acceleration and as I said making a decision on what will be the last P car I buy. Also, the S motor is direct injected which should give it great torque in the midrange. It would be a lot easier if these cars were ubiquitous on lots so I could drive both but from what I can see on autotrader no Porsche dealer keeps a hearty inventory. You have to buy it and know you will love it because it's a Boxster. PS Topless, I loved my 98' it sounded awesome with headers and ss exhaust, I understand your admiration, I like the 986 body. They say the 987 improves handling, that would be cool, even though it feels very crisp in the 1998 already.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 12-10-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #16

Garage
My wifes 2.5 and my 3.6 are like night and day. There is no replacement for displacement. Sure the 2.5 is a superb driving car but the 3.6 is a superb driving car that is like a caged animal that kicks you in the kidneys and doesn't let up. Go for the S with PDK, you only go around once, spoil yourself, you won't regret it.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #17

Garage
As much as like boxsters, if your considering spending 60k+ on a vehicle, then I would consider this one .

Ferrari : 360 Ferrari : 360 | eBay
Old 12-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #18

I had both my '98 2.5 and my 2K 3.2S at the same time. You will and do notice the 50 HP difference. When we test drove '05 and '06 bases models with 40 HP more then the '98 2.5 we noticed it quite a bit. The answer is: Yes, 40 or 50 more HP in a Boxster is very noticeable.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
As much as like boxsters, if your considering spending 60k+ on a vehicle, then I would consider this one .

Ferrari : 360 Ferrari : 360 | eBay
Yeah just like how everyone here is getting an absolute deal on a $5k boxster right?
Old 12-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #20
Ex Esso kid

Johnny, key distinction, the car I would be buying will be under warranty, I've done some reading on cars like the one you posted, a scheduled maintenance can be 10K and on some Ferrari models scheduled maintenance requires engine out.