Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #141

TRK

Analyzing past thread history, I've determined that you are the "go to guy" on this subject.

Can you provide me a 'final list' of components to increase the intake side (from stock 'T' shaped plenum to MAF) of my STOCK 2003 2.7L Boxster.

Also can you share with me your personal results from this particular upgrade?

Thanking you in advance for all your personal effort & technical input!

Speedster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #142

Homeboy-

Now that your mods have running for a couple of months now... how are things running, newly realized issues or concerns?

Can you provide me with a 'final parts list' for this setup.

I'm currently modifying my 2003 2.7L Boxster, so I'm very interested in your design, especially the new MAF location (near TB).

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #143

Andy,

I'm need your help input on your intake plenum upgrade... how are things running?

Any CEL or any comments or concerns?

Need prt# for 74mm TB that you use & were there any ECU or DME issues in terms of compatibility on start up?

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #144

JD

Need your insight on plenum upgrades for a Boxster 2003 2.7L.

I've read your past history comments & questions on this topic.

So what did you decide to do and what were your results?

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #145

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster986 View Post
JD

Need your insight on plenum upgrades for a Boxster 2003 2.7L.

I've read your past history comments & questions on this topic.

So what did you decide to do and what were your results?

Thanks for your help!
I've haven't done anything in the way of a larger TB or plenum at this point. So, I have nothing to offer in that regard. The only changes/upgrades that I have made to my vehicle relevant to this topic, is the addition of the EVO cold air intake, along with Pedro's TT2. It's difficult the quantify the overall improvement of these upgrades based on hp figures alone by virtue of the fact that they coincided with other upgrades. However, I can say that I'am please with the results. I do, however, hope to install a larger TB and plenum in the future.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #146

JD

Thanks for your response!

Does your vehicle pass smog requirements in your state?

I'm located in So. California, which there is a chance that I my NOT pass my next smog inspection.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #147

JD,

Once I get a parts list together, I will be sure to forward it on to you.

I'm not far from completing that task, all I really need is to hear from a few the guys i.e. The Radium King, Homeboy981, AndyA6, etc.

I'm leaning towards a TB 74mm from a GT2 to replace my stock TB 68mm. But pulling the rest of the set up is still work in progress.

FYI - Since the my plenum upgrade in Nov. 2012, I have been averaging 23 City 37 Hwy.

Have you ever used the Porsche OBC to calculate MPG?

If so, what are your results?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #148

Garage
Quote:
JD

Thanks for your response!

Does your vehicle pass smog requirements in your state?

I'm located in So. California, which there is a chance that I my NOT pass my next smog inspection.
So far as I'm aware nothing that has been proposed in this thread should have any bearing on emissions compliance - even Commifornia.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #149

Garage
Quote:
JD,

Once I get a parts list together, I will be sure to forward it on to you.

I'm not far from completing that task, all I really need is to hear from a few the guys i.e. The Radium King, Homeboy981, AndyA6, etc.

I'm leaning towards a TB 74mm from a GT2 to replace my stock TB 68mm. But pulling the rest of the set up is still work in progress.

FYI - Since the my plenum upgrade in Nov. 2012, I have been averaging 23 City 37 Hwy.

Have you ever used the Porsche OBC to calculate MPG?

If so, what are your results?

Thanks!
I suggest that you consult J.Fro also.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #150

Awesome... will do!

TY
Old 03-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #151
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
TRK

Analyzing past thread history, I've determined that you are the "go to guy" on this subject.

Can you provide me a 'final list' of components to increase the intake side (from stock 'T' shaped plenum to MAF) of my STOCK 2003 2.7L Boxster.

Also can you share with me your personal results from this particular upgrade?

Thanking you in advance for all your personal effort & technical input!
Final list is on post 113 in this thread.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #152
Carnut

Everything works 100% perfectly fine. No problems whatsoever!

Love this mod, I used the 997 TB, bigger is not better in this case.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #153
Carnut

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/36882-soooo-what-does-bigger-throttle-body-do-installed-mine.html

And a search will show quiet a few more threads.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #154

AndyA6,

Did you go with TRK's final parts list found on #113 of this thread?

Or did you come up with your own list?

Also, can you verify the opening size of the TB is 74mm?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #155
Carnut

Quote:
AndyA6,

Did you go with TRK's final parts list found on #113 of this thread?

Or did you come up with your own list?

Also, can you verify the opening size of the TB is 74mm?

Thanks for all your help!
Yes, used that list.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #156

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Can we get a mod to vape all the spam-y garbage in this thread?
Yeah that would be great especially now!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #157
2K9ATE6

Garage
Finalized my final setup, airbox and all last weekend

Used a K&N Dry Flow filter that fills almost the entire box (4" outlet diameter). Below the box is a 4.5" silicone boot, sealed to fresh air only.

The MAF tube w/ honeycomb insert) is the smallest restriction but vehicle must be tuned to work with a larger one. Otherwise it will wreak havoc on fuel trims. Its just slightly smaller than throttle body inlet though.

I also filed the lip of the TB to a taper and cleaned all filings out extremely thoroughly for obvious reasons. The flat lip creates mild turbulence directly and the entrance of TB, and unfortunately the least laminar bend is directly before the throttle body. So after lots of research I decided to minimize some if this turbulence by smoothing the TB lip to a taper.

I would also recommend rebuilding injectors at the same time. Mine were nasty (95,000k). I bought a harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner and ordered a rebuild kit off eBay (with filters!). Stripped them down, and the old filters that insert in the the injector inlet were clogged. With increased airflow, it is fundamental to have all the fuel that can be potentially delivered to increase performance. Plus they atomize much better when I observed spray patterns in my test box. PM and I can give more details on this, as while related to this thread, it is a subject in itself.

Performance notes: definitely faster. I always drive it like the Dr. ordered so I have a pretty good feel of the "butt dyno". The digital speedo helps to gauge acceleration. I am pulling 5 mph increments in 3rd on a 2.7 5 speed (that is w a slightly weak fuel pump output (current project ha) so I expect even better gains after this issue is worked out. Low end torque is definitely lower. I don't drive below 2700 or 3k rpm so this doesn't bother me. It feels kind of like a turbo when punching it in the low end. It lags for just a split second while it takes a deep breath and then takes off. I think the 5 speed ratios are perfect with this setup. A 3rd gear pull from 45 to 97 (redline) is exhilarating. Add a long tunnel for acoustics and drop the top and the experience beats sx w a 9 .

I would perform the exhaust hack if you still have the factory exhaust, to help maximize intake efficiency. It takes 10 min and consist of taking a big 1" drill and sticking it back into the internal muffler parts and boring a hole on the inside of each side. Lots of write ups around on this. Absolutely no visible modification. The hardest part is finding a drill big enough and powerful enough to fit and turn a 1" bit. All this does is open another outlet in the internals that is less restrictive. The exhaust note at idle sounds absolutely phenomenal. As a boxster driver I am used to people commenting on the car (good and bad ha), but never as many as people who comment on the incredible sound when I pull into a parking space w someone standing close by. It sounds very mean like its just itching for some WOT. (Check emissions regulations/effects of drilling exhaust. I am in AL where there are NO RULES so this was not of concern to me.). Exhaust flow and intake flow are directly related.

Also. Reset ecu before driving it. Give it 60 miles of increasingly harder acceleration and it will be driving much better at the end of the 60 than the beginning. Only then can you judge the increases. A properly mapped stock system will perform better than a modified intake without the reset procedure hands down so this step is vital. Since the performance is a gradual increase during the 60 mi learning process, it can make it tough to "feel" the difference. That is where watching the digital speedo increments can really help.

In a few weeks when the track reopens I will run a few non launch runs and use there timing equipment to compare data I've accumulated from previous runs. I put a GOPro on the gauges, record fuel level, tire pressures, ambient temps, any other relevant weight or vehicle factors, and timing information from the track in an excel log. I slow down the gopro footage to compare rpm, speed, shift points. With all this information I can make a pretty accurate analysis. I know Porsches are not meant for the drag strip, but for information purposes, I can get accurate info every week for only $10. Dynos are subjective measurements too; this method I have come up with does a very good job of tracking performance and is very cost efficient. May start logging w the durametric on each run for even more data. Like I said, I don't wreck the gearbox or do burnouts/smoky launches. I'll leave that up to all the mustang drivers out there.

Getting tons of hp out pf a boxster is not practical cost-wise and cannot be accomplished without a 3.4 or forced induction. If you want a high horsepower car that can clock fast drag times/hard launch, then get a Camaro or something. Porsches are for the twisties. But exhaust upgrade, ecu map (ROW preferred if legal in your state), combined with this intake/TB upgrade will have your engine breathing like it should. And prob about 30 more ponies. Keep in mind the car only weights 2800 lbs, so 30 hp here feels more like 50 on a heavier car. Other than that, rss under drive and LWfw are about the only other two engine performance mods that yield more rwhp without exorbitant $/hp ratios. With the mid engine, higher exit speeds and later brake points are the key to getting the boxster around a track fast (do the few fairly inexpensive performance mods listed above but then focus on upgrading suspension, tires, and brakes).
2K9ATE6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #158

Let us know your findings. Interesting thoughts on digital speedo jumps to gauge acceleration.

You might need to compare throttle position percentage in order to compare apples to apples when going through your data.

Good luck and good to hear its working for you
Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #159

reviving an old but extremely awesome thread... anyone have dyno charts after this mod?
ccstud17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #160

Garage
I have a G-meter that measures 0-62 mph among other things. It used to give me 5.8 sec average of several runs before mods on my '01 S. I now get 5.2 sec average after modding. From what I have found out on the net this means that my max HP was 250 (figures), and is now 285.

My mods are Fabspeed catless headers, 997 plenum, 74 mm TB, and desnorked.

So I am really happy and I have this thread and all the fine members of this forum to thank...

Last edited by Bfan; 04-09-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Bfan is offline   Reply With Quote