986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Which one is better? Raggtopp or Porsche Convertible Protectant (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3131)

boxster2003 07-08-2005 09:56 AM

Which one is better? Raggtopp or Porsche Convertible Protectant

I am planning to purchase top protectant for my 2003 Boxster. I called the dealer and they have Porsche top protectant in stock for around $20. But I noticed the everyone is using Raggtopp products... Please help!!!

Perfectlap 07-08-2005 11:34 AM

The maker of the Porsche canvas endorses Raggtopp.
Get the Raggtopp cleanser as well If your weekly rinising won't remove
a stain. Use an OXO feathertip brush with the cleanser.
You'll have to reapply the protectant afterwards.

No soap on the top. Detergent attracts dust which is public enemy #1, thus
the importance of the weekly spray down.

9Lives 07-08-2005 11:38 AM

I'm curious myself

I was about to throw out this question today to forum members. Just bought a seal grey with grey top '05 Boxster S a few weeks ago and while up at Cal Car Cover Co. in San Fernando Valley ordering a custom car cover, was chatted up by their excellent help re: Raggtop. Bought the RT cleaner-protectorant kit but when I got home and actually got down to spraying the top, I just got the willies and backed away. The thought of ruining the convertible top with a $15 product because of staining was a nightmare of epic proportions so I just said forget it pending more research.

Asked my local Porsche dealer and he was tentative: i.e. Raggtop "could be OK...." "Raggtop might be the same as the Porsche protectorant-conditioner..." and such. Needless to say, that did not appease.

I've also emailed PCA's tech guys but have yet to hear back.

Has anyone used Raggtop successfully?

9Lives 07-08-2005 11:43 AM

Encouraging news...

PefectLap's post went up as I was writing first query. Good to hear Porsche's CV top maker endorses Raggtop. Thanks.

Adam 07-08-2005 12:23 PM

I bought the raggtop stuff as well but I have not used it yet either. It says in bold words on the back "wipe overspray off paint and glass immediately." This gives me the willies.

JackG 07-08-2005 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
I bought the raggtop stuff as well but I have not used it yet either. It says in bold words on the back "wipe overspray off paint and glass immediately." This gives me the willies.

That's why you get some of that easy release blue masking tape, newspaper, and plastic drop cloths, then cover everything except the top.

It really doesn't take that long to do, and you don't have to worry about your paint or windows. I did it one afternoon a couple of months ago, and the next day it was ready to drop the top and have more fun.

Jack

donv 07-08-2005 02:05 PM

Previous thread on my and others' experiences with it is here.

bigislandboxster 07-08-2005 03:36 PM

I have heard great things about the Raggtop, I was going to use it myself, but nobody out on the Big Island seems to carry it.....Mail services won't send aerosol containers since 9/11 out here, so I opted for the 303 Cleaner and Protectant, and although its only been 2 months since I used it, I'm happy with the results so far.....Beads up real nice in the rain ;)

99-Boxster-MK 07-09-2005 08:16 AM

I tried ordering as well, and they wont ship an airosol.. Its rather funny if you ask me :)

What do they think is gonna happen with a can of anything. Blow up and take the plane or truck down, or somebody on the plane is going to sneak into the cargo hold and raggtop one of the pilots :)

Sometimes I wonder what the people who make up these policies are smoking,,

:cheers:

Mike

donv 07-09-2005 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99-Boxster-MK
I tried ordering as well, and they wont ship an airosol.. Its rather funny if you ask me :)

What do they think is gonna happen with a can of anything. Blow up and take the plane or truck down, or somebody on the plane is going to sneak into the cargo hold and raggtop one of the pilots :)

Sometimes I wonder what the people who make up these policies are smoking,,

:cheers:

Mike

MacGyver says: take most any aerosol can (WD-40, Hairspray, whatever), and a looong lighter or match - light it - and spray at the flame source (preferably away from both you and anything else you care about). You'll soon come to understand the deeper mysteries, grasshopper... :D

bigislandboxster 07-09-2005 09:58 AM

Aerosol sprays, etc......

The funny thing is, you can go to the department stores and see LOADS of aerosol products everywhere......Now I ask you, how are they getting there to Hawaii.....By boat? Maybe.......But can't a boat blow up as well? More 9/11 logic for ya :confused:

99-Boxster-MK 07-09-2005 12:08 PM

I can make a flame thrower out of the vodka I buy at duty free...

Mike