Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #1

What Is This???

Okay. Even though this is my second Box, 4th Porsche...blah, blah... I don't know what this is. It is located below the right side of the bumper. Can someone tell what this air-speed-indicator-looking-thing is?

Last edited by DenverSteve; 11-20-2011 at 12:51 PM.
DenverSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Temperature sensor
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #3

Factory Option 47: Front Laser Beam Attack Weapon

All joking aside, the poster above me is correct.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #4

I don't have that option. Is there an electronic "activation" for the temp. display like there is on some vehicles that can be flashed to operate? Thanks by the way for the answer.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #5

Garage
You don't need to know what the temperature is but your engine does according to Porsche. I looked into the OBC hack and I think it is more trouble than it is worth for me anyway.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Porscheectomy

Two different sensors.

There's the one in the grill, which reads outside air temp and it's displayed in the gauges if you have it active (search OBC hack) and probably used by the automatic climate control system.

There is another sensor built into the MAF that tells the DME what the incoming air temperature is. This is used to control fuel metering and spark timing.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
You don't need to know what the temperature is but your engine does according to Porsche. I looked into the OBC hack and I think it is more trouble than it is worth for me anyway.
I beg to differ...I did the OBC hack WITHOUT the stalk, using just the single footwell switch option mounted into one of the blanks on the dash. The entire project was done in less than one hour and I have all the functionality of the stalk, without the hassle. I agree the OBC hack is not worth it with the stalk, but choosing the dash button option makes it totally worth it. Complete cost was about $60 and it was really easy. I highly recommend it.

The two readings from the OBC I use most are the temp and DTE.
ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:51 AM   #8
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I thought the outside temp was displayed automatically...? I definitely don't have the OBC active from the factory, and neither does my sister's '99, but both always show the ambient temp right under the digital speedometer.

In any case, I had the same question not too long ago, Steve, so don't feel bad even if you're multi-Porsche owner. Now you know what the thing does, and apparently it likes to fall out of its little holder on the grille from time to time, so keep an eye out for that. It only wedges into place, doesn't have any sort of lock on it.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanRon View Post
I beg to differ...I did the OBC hack WITHOUT the stalk, using just the single footwell switch option mounted into one of the blanks on the dash. The entire project was done in less than one hour and I have all the functionality of the stalk, without the hassle. I agree the OBC hack is not worth it with the stalk, but choosing the dash button option makes it totally worth it. Complete cost was about $60 and it was really easy. I highly recommend it.

The two readings from the OBC I use most are the temp and DTE.
Hey Ron will you come do mine? I would rather pull the motor than deal with pinouts and other electrickery. Too many years with the Dark Lord Lucas in the Land Rover world.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
Hey Ron will you come do mine? I would rather pull the motor than deal with pinouts and other electrickery. Too many years with the Dark Lord Lucas in the Land Rover world.
Happily...if I wasn't 3,000 miles away! It really was easy though. If you can snap two Legos together, you can do this.
ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #11

you have a link to the non stalk method?
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:44 AM   #12
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Pelican Technical Article: Boxster On Board Computer (OBC) Upgrade / Boxster Turn Signal Switch Replacement - 986 Boxster (1997-04) -

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:45 AM   #13

This particular sensor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
Two different sensors.

There's the one in the grill, which reads outside air temp and it's displayed in the gauges if you have it active (search OBC hack) and probably used by the automatic climate control system.

There is another sensor built into the MAF that tells the DME what the incoming air temperature is. This is used to control fuel metering and spark timing.
... does two things:
a) It displays the outside temperature for cars that have the OBC activated and,
b) It lets the HVAC system know the outside temperature so it can compensate accordingly.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro