986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brake pedal to the floor (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31101)

wawa 11-15-2011 02:11 PM

Brake pedal to the floor

Hello

Boxster S 2000 with 138 000km. Brake have been done in spring (all disc and pad, nothing else)
Coming back from work today, had to brake hard! No ABS and the pedal goes all the way to the floor. The wheel scream a bit. Scare the hell out of me and stop only 1 foot from other car. Re-accelerate a bit, brake and the pedal goes back to the floor barely braking. I was jam in trafic, good thing for once, so I was able to get back home at about 15mph max.

I got brake a little but as soon I push the pedal too firmly, it goes to the floor.
Brake fluid look like in between min and max.

What could be the problem?

thanks
wawa

thstone 11-15-2011 02:13 PM

Check the brake master cylinder. It is located in the front trunk.

wawa 11-15-2011 02:29 PM

I have look at the booster. Everything look like new. No oil, no rust, it very clean. If anything, its internal and I cant see it.

wawa

DFW02S 11-15-2011 02:38 PM

I bet you're right that it's the booster.

blue2000s 11-15-2011 02:49 PM

On most cars, if the brake pedal goes to the floor if you hold your foot down, but will work again if you lift off and press on the pedal again, the seals in the master cylinder are leaking. So if you can pump the pedal and get the car to brake again, you need a rebuild of the master cylinder.

If you can't get the brakes to engage no matter how much you pump the pedal, you have a leak in the system somewhere.

In either case, you probably want someone professional to look at it at this point.

wawa 11-15-2011 03:19 PM

yea I'm afraid its the master cylinder seal that is broken.

Now I dont think I'll be able to drive to the mechanic. I'm afraid I will not have enough brake even with pumping the pedal.

Seams like its gonna be the first run of the boxster on the towing platform :(

wawa

Gforrest2 11-15-2011 04:50 PM

Depending on how far away your mechanic is, you could take the back roads in the middle of the night and use your handbrake to stop. I've done it before in my Fiat.

Markus Vancouver 01 05-25-2013 04:58 PM

Hey Guys,
Markus here - new member.
Does anyone here have brake pedal travel after a hard brake?
Appareently Boxster and Cayman display such a trait.
Your brak pedal travel experiences?

Ckrikos 05-25-2013 06:07 PM

I don't know what you are referring to. I have had my car since new and the brakes are the best part of driving. It when you hit the brakes its as if the hand of god comes down from the sky and stops the vehicle. My pedal goes right back up and even more so the harder you press it down.

Mark_T 05-26-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gforrest2 (Post 264428)
Depending on how far away your mechanic is, you could take the back roads in the middle of the night and use your handbrake to stop. I've done it before in my Fiat.

Bad idea - the handbrake in these cars is adequate to stop a parked car from rolling away but that's about it.