Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #1

Garage
Don't over-think the problem

A good reminder to all.

I have always had minor gremlins in my wiring as the result of the 3.6 conversion. The radio is wonky and that is the extent of it for the most part.

It throws secondary cat errors occasionally because I am running US X51 maps on the DME and have no cats on the car. I tried several tricks with the second set of O2 sensors but eventually just got rid of them and installed O2 emulators which do the trick pretty well but need some more minor adjustment to completely eliminate the errors.

Lately I noticed that my driving lights were not working and I also noticed that my A/C fan had stopped working.

After driving British junk for years I looked up the price of a fan motor resistor, they are famous for taking a dump in the Land Rovers, the Porsche part is north of $200 and also considered that the ignition switch could be going out as well.

My brain was going down the list of possible problems, I was imagining the process of trying to find a short in the wiring loom of the car since things were seemingly going down hill fast. The radio, the lights, now the AC unit. Well the good news was the engine operation was not affected in any way.

My car did not come with a owners manual so I printed out the 99 fuse diagram from Mike Focke's site and looked at the grouping of the circuits and ta-dah...the driving lights and AC unit are on the same fuse and guess which fuse I had used to piggy back the power for the O2 emulators off of...yup, the very same one.

So I replaced the fuse, moved the piggy back to the cigarette lighter circuit and everything is working fine.

So before you order parts and contemplate digging into the depths of your dash, remember to check the fuses. Sometimes it can save a lot of hassle and expense.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Also, if you were tinkering with something and the an electrical problem shows up, recheck your work.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #3

Hey thats the best news I have heard all day. Nice.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #4

That's good information since we drive these fantastic, fun, wonderful, fun, bulletproof, fun cars. Every "Gremlin", shake, rattle and roll isn't necessarily a bank-breaking failure.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Hah! Yeah, definitely a good reminder!

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote