Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #1

After the new top is installed ...

I had a new Robbins top installed professionally 3 weeks ago. Happily, insurance paid all except the excess.

The top looks good. I have got used to the smaller window and now like the looks - it has a slightly deco appearance.

My query is how long does it take for the material to stretch to fit? I was advised not to use the top for 2 weeks, and so I left it alone. I have since opened and closed the top a few times. It opens without difficulty (although the first time it was hung up on the hook), but on closing there is a 1" gap. I can pull the hook into position, but I am concerned that the force needed to close it down may do some damage.

Advice? Your thoughts?

Here are some pictures of my 2001 S ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

derekcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Beautiful 986, Derek!

I had a GAHH glass retrofit professionally installed on my 986 many years ago and had the same issue. I actually had two new GAHH tops installed and they both failed to lock as easily as the OE top. I think they both loosened up a little over time but never with the ease of the OE top.

I don't know if your installer can do anything to loosen it up for you. I chose to live with mine.

BTW, my first replacement top suffered from the glass separation issue that wasn't uncommon on the early retrofit glass tops.

Best of luck,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #3

no idea about the stretching as my car already had the top on it when I got it for almost a year...
BUT I have the same top as you, I love it! the glass window makes a huge difference
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #4

I am afraid, never
Mine is 2 years now and still hasn't stretched enough
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
pjv

Garage
Looks good. Can you tell me what the new top cost (in this part of the world) ?
pjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
I am afraid, never
Mine is 2 years now and still hasn't stretched enough
Hi Chris

I spoke to the installer today. He is an experienced professional that came recommended by my Porsche mechanic.

His advice was that I needed 2 weeks in the sun. Of course it is spring here and still overcast, plus the car is garaged during the day. So little time in the sun.

I assume after two years your top has been outdoors in the sun, and so has stretched its max. What is the gap you have, and what danger is there for the hook? Can the hook break - it looks as though it is make from plastic?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 10-24-2011, 04:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv View Post
Looks good. Can you tell me what the new top cost (in this part of the world) ?
Hi pjv

I am insured with Shannons. They did not fuss with the cost of replacement - considered it cheap compared to an original part! The total cost (which involves importing and shipping from the USA to Perth, and then installation) was $2800.

Just to be exact, this is for the heated glass window, and the price included the connection kit.

My original window was in good condition, but it looks like some swine stuck a key through one corner. It was possible to get the vinyl replaced ($850) but after this I decided that only a glass rear window would give me peace of mind.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 10-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #8

I imagine the exchange rate will skew that number a bit. Has anyone in the states paid to have their top installed recently? I was considering the DIY method, but I really would like it done correctly, and being my daily driver, I didn't really want to get it torn apart and then not be able to get it back together quickly enough.

I'm thinking of purchasing the upgraded glass top from an ebay vendor and having my Porsche Indy install it for me. What should that install cost?
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #9

I was told 7 to 10 hours to install, here in Reno. Most places did not want to deal with me bringing in a top, only selling me the same thing at additional cost. I have yet to do it, rebuilding the engine took priority.
onaFLYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
I imagine the exchange rate will skew that number a bit. Has anyone in the states paid to have their top installed recently? I was considering the DIY method, but I really would like it done correctly, and being my daily driver, I didn't really want to get it torn apart and then not be able to get it back together quickly enough.

I'm thinking of purchasing the upgraded glass top from an ebay vendor and having my Porsche Indy install it for me. What should that install cost?
SOI

I am in Houston and did the install myself. It is my DD as well and to make sure I had all I needed as well as enough time I started my install on a Friday afternoon and worked until Saturday afternoon. It was a PROJECT but worth every penny. I love my Glass Window top and so does everybody that sees it.

If you have any questions or need help let me know. FYI I was quoted $1500 with a new top. Not sure if that is a good deal or not but I paid $600 for mine so I think the $900 savings was worth the days work. Plus I figured out alot of stuff about my PCar while in the process. GOOD LUCK!
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #11

I paid $1350 for a new GAHH Glass Window top installed, plus I had a couple of plastic pieces that needed to be replaced. Total was just under $1500. I let mine set for 4 weeks before opening and closing it. It now fits nicely...but, has to go back for a little tweaking to remove a couple of wrinkles.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #12

I was quoted $1625 about four weeks ago from a local shop. They use GAHH and the quote I got was for the German A5 canvas w/ heated glass. As I saw the dude typing in the numbers to give me my quote, he had typed in $400 for labor. So then I asked him if I were to bring in a top, how much would he charge to install it? He said $500. I guess he had to make up the profit he'd be losing on the retail markup of the top!

Since the installer was over two weeks backlogged, and I didn't want to wait, and I'd be saving myself $700, I ordered the same top from GAHH for $925 shipped and installed it myself. Took 7.5 hours.

Myself, and two others that did our own replacements, talk about it here:
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/30464-rag-top-replacement.html
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #13

had mine installed a few months ago and love it. but i agree, it definitely doesn't close as easily. i have to force it closed before the latch will catch. kinda annoying, but still worth the clean glass window and new top. makes the car look so much nicer.

how did you get insurance to cover it? i didn't even bother, just figured they would count it as normal wear and tear.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:58 AM   #14

Isn't there an adjustment for the tension cables? I've seen a picture where you can run a bolt up and down near the cable anchoring point and it moves the ball that the cable connects to. I've never done a top but I remember something about this adjusting bolt.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #15

I had mine done a few months ago for around $1700. Insurance paid for the majority of it. I'm glad I'm not the only one with closing issue. It doesn't seem like it's gotten any better but I just yank it down by the hand holes and latch it.
Earn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #16

Well wouldn't you know it... yesterday I ordered the new top right.. well today I see some bees on the base of the plastic window as I'm getting in my car. Well, I get in and decided it would be a good idea to "flick" the bees off from inside...

well that wasn't a good idea. as brittle as my plastic window was/is, it cracked immediately... about the size of a quarter.. lovely...

luckily i had already contacted an upholstery shop the day I ordered my top and got an appointment scheduled for the replacement! I can't wait! I'll post pics and price when I get it back.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #17
pjv

Garage
Thanks derekcohen. Could you also tell me where you got your top from? My car is a 2004 model.

Thanks again.
pjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post

I *just* had the top on my 03 986 replaced. I bought the car 3 weeks ago and immediately had a new top installed - the seal gray car came with a beige/tan top (no fashion sense). The new one is a black GAHH unit with the heated glass window. It looks fantastic and cost $1250 at Jim's Upholstery in San Diego. It has been sitting in my garage for the last 10 days and I have not tried to open it yet.
ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #19
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanRon View Post
the seal gray car came with a beige/tan top (no fashion sense).
Hi ChairmanRon,

I've never seen a beige or tan top on a Boxster. Do you have any pics before the change? Beige or tan would make a classic color combination with some exterior colors IMO.

I believe this is the first instance I've seen of an OE glass window top being replaced with an aftermarket glass window top. Does the glass appear to be the same size? I assume you won't loose any accessibility when placing the top in the service position.

Best of luck with it.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #20

I received the following email today from Robbins, to who I wrote for a direct answer:

Quote:
Following installation of a new convertible top it is important to allow the
new top to stretch and conform to the convertible top frame before resuming
normal use. To do this you must allow the top to remain up and latched for a
period of typically 1 to 3 weeks, but can take longer in colder climates.

I'm not certain what area of the convertible top "gap that at the connector"
is in reference to.
Having said that, there should be no 1" gaps around the convertible top.

My recommendation is that you close and latch the top, and allow it to
remain latched, uninterrupted, for one more full week. If after that time
the issue still exists, you should schedule the vehicle in with the
installer for evaluation and to suggest a course of action. I would greatly
appreciate an email update if this becomes necessary.

Please note that the cables in question utilize a non-adjustable ball &
socket type connection on either end, for connection to floating rear rail
and the interior body.

Thank you for using Robbins products.

Sincerely,

Tony Jordan
Robbins Auto Top, LLC
Tel (805) 604-3200 x3256
Fax (805) 604-3201
ajordan@robbinsautotop.com
Untitled Document
Regards from Perth