986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Difficulty moving the shifter.... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30891)

papasmurf 11-01-2011 11:13 AM

Difficulty moving the shifter....

I have a short throw shifter installed and it has been in the car for a few years...no issues...notchy but I have gotten used to it. Over the last few weeks the shifting has become more and more difficult like their is some binding or something. I have removed the boot/knob and drove it like this for a while and did not notice anything wrong with the short shifter itself. Yesterday things really started to tighten up and was I wondering whether I was going to make it home or not and had to skip 3rd gear once or twice. There seems to be some force pushing back against you when you attempt to shift. I removed the console on my lunch break and removed a some spare change that had fallen in their but nothing that was interuppting the linkage. I removed the cables and the left/right of the shifter without the cable was fine....the forward/back was not as loose. Is there something that needs lubing in the shifter itself, the cables? The car seems to shift fine, and I am pretty sure it is a linkage issue as the clutch seems okay and their is no slipping and the gears do not grind or anything when shifting.

papasmurf 11-01-2011 12:15 PM

forgot to mention the motor mount is about a year old or less so that should not be the problem.

jaykay 11-02-2011 06:57 AM

Once in a while, I have experienced a very mild push back from the gear box when moving back in the gate to gears four and six. I also have had troubles on the track when things are getting really hot. It has been suggested to me that this might the shifter cables on top of the engine getting hot. Have a look at that section of cable to ensure nothing has melted.

...check your oil level too

papasmurf 11-02-2011 07:20 AM

I'll check that thanks....

It was still noticeable this morning but "maybe" not quite as bad as other times. It just kind of feels like the gear is not engaging all the way at times (like it is about to pop out of gear). When I left work yesterday it was pretty bad but I found by shifting to the gear, then letting it fall to neutral and then trying to engage the gear again it shifted smoother...it might take one or two more tries though to engage smoothly.

Overdrive 11-02-2011 07:33 AM

I wonder if some of your linkage is out of adjustment or worn...is it pretty consistent as far as which gears or motions are difficult to engage?

The problem I've heard with the short shift kits is that if there's any sort of problems with the gearbox/shifter that they'll be exaggerated by the increase in moving force provided by the kit. I believe you said you're not getting any grinding, right?

papasmurf 11-02-2011 09:24 AM

No grinding...

It seems to be more prevalent in 2nd 3rd and 4th but not drastically so. It used to kind of click when it went into gear before (very mechanical feeling), not there is none of that but rather resistance to going into gear (again, feels like it would want to pop out of gear with how far the shifter seems to be traveling but it doesn't).