986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   GT3 or aftermarket (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30772)

jsceash 10-24-2011 06:22 PM

GT3 or aftermarket

Would you spend a similar amount for used Porsche OEM Recaro GT3 seats fixed back with Porsche rail and sliders, or purchase new aftermarket brand name race seats with a curent build date, then purchase rails and sliders. If the end price turned out to be the same within about $100. The seats in question are in good condition a color that matches my interior and have the Porsche crest on the head rest. The others would be black leather. I have not found an aftermarket Grey seat in either cloth or leather.

Johnny Danger 10-24-2011 06:29 PM

You should check out this site . Very high quality aftermarket seats that you can customize to your liking .

www.statusracing.com

jsceash 10-24-2011 06:58 PM

Stratus Ring Gt FRP Leather, was one of the 2 other choices but I did not see color choice beside Black Red and Blue. I'll look again.

Pat 10-24-2011 07:31 PM

When you say "race seat," do you really mean race seat? If so, don't get the OEM stuff. I'm guessing you don't really mean that, in which case I'd go OEM or Status.

Ghostrider 310 10-25-2011 02:26 AM

Those seats are cool but having it say status doesn't appeal to me.

insite 10-25-2011 04:26 AM

do you actually drive the car on the track? how much? in what capacity?

Johnny Danger 10-25-2011 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash (Post 261650)
Stratus Ring Gt FRP Leather, was one of the 2 other choices but I did not see color choice beside Black Red and Blue. I'll look again.

Look again, they offer both gray and graphite color choices .

Perfectlap 10-25-2011 06:11 AM

Used GT3 seats are almost always a bargain for what you are getting. It's a proven seat. To get something comparable from the aftermarket (for street use - that can withstand collision) probably means getting a kevlar race seat and those are way expensive. If the GT3 seat leather is too worn you can probably have them reupholstered since the cushions are vlecro'd in to allow for the racing belts to pass between your legs and down under the seat. In other words easy to remove and drop off with someone who does that sort of leather refinishing thing. I thought about doing lack carbon fabric I've seen around on bikes. The same for the pocket door lids and e-brake. And the best thing of all is that you can remove the seats with only a torx bit and a socket and extension. No having to drill holes or install rails. Piece of cake.
This weekend I had to tighten the seatbelt hardware as it was starting to rattle. Had the seats ubolted and hardware torq'd in 15 minutes, both sides.The Porsche guys did their homework on this part of the 996/Boxster. Just like swapping out brake pads for the track it's such a simple process.

jsceash 10-25-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 261674)
Look again, they offer both gray and graphite color choices .

Yes I looked closer last night. and saw the selection. Graphite Grey is the correct collor. My mind is close to being made up. Thank you for the info.

jsceash 10-25-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insite (Post 261672)
do you actually drive the car on the track? how much? in what capacity?

7, AX events this year and 4 HPDE track days this year. I am close to being able to run solo in DE. The chance of someone making a mistake including me gets higher going up in class. Im not going to get a china seat the crumbles around me in an accident. If I can get to Pocono next year I could see speeds of 130. I was told this by my last instructor. I have run 120+ at WGI back straight and that is a 10 to 12 story climb

jsceash 10-25-2011 09:29 AM

The third seat was the 070.98.LS19 Recaro Pole Position Leater Black with grey inserts.