Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 03:49 AM   #1

B&M ssk question

I have never been happy with the shifter in my 2001 S, specifically the length and sloppiness of the throws, so I upgraded to the 997 shifter, but I am still not happy. (I've been spoiled by shifting a '99 Miata for ten years, which was shifting heaven.)

If I decide to purchase the B&M ssk, which console should I install it in, the original (with 35K miles on it), or the 997 console (which has less than 5K on it)? I suppose the wear factor is obvious, but does anyone think there were improvements made to parts (other than what I will be replacing) in the 997 console?

I don't care about re-selling the 997 shifter, I am perfectly willing to install the B&M in either console. But which one?

Thanks for your input.

Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:39 AM   #2

Put it in the 997 shifter first. I love my b&m. It might be a little notchy feeling until the car becomes hot, so be aware of that.

I've had mine on since I purchased my '01 S with just under 14000 miles..Now I have almost 22k and the shifter has become even more enjoyable.

The miata "click" shift is remarkably quick and short, so be aware this mod will still not produce that short of a shift.

It does however create a "night and day" experience between the standard shifter and makes the car a whole lot more fun to drive....not like it wasn't fun to begin with, but you will know what I mean when you start driving with the b&m...just plain fun...

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #3

My $0.02: send back the B&M and buy the Porsche short shifter for the 9x7. You get the whole tower, and the shifting is smoother than the B&M, although the throw isn't quite as short.