Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #1

2004 Boxster non-s

Hi All,
I am new to your forums and was looking for some help.

I have friend's car I am working on, The car is a 2004 boxster non-s built for PCA club racing. The only major engine mod is a new oil pan and electric oil pump. As well roll cage and allot of safety equipment.

So the two questions I have, The car has a leak in the power steering pump some place. I can see fluid on top of the block and under the pump running down the front of the block. I have disassembled the intake hoses that run on top of the engine to get a better look and can see fluid building up on top of the engine under the pump reservoir and we went through and cleaned it all up. I disassembled the top of the reservoir and checked the o-ring on the top part of the reservoir. I don't see or feel fluid coming out of the top part of the reservoir so I am wonder if it could be either the return line into the pump or the connection for the reservoir on the pump itself, Any direction you guys can point me at would be great before i tear the pump out.

The second question when i removed the air intake hoses from on top of the engine there was allot of engine oil build up in them, Just pooling. Do you think it is caused by the external pump pressure (82 psi is what it is set for) Or a different problem.

Thanks for any help,

Dave

Davearino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
kpm

If the P/S reservoir is in the engine compartment, just zip tie a red shop rag around the cap. You may have to double up the rags if it pumps a lot out. I had the same problem when I raced an American Sedan Mustang in SCCA. Change the rags every race weekend.

With the oil pan make sure it's properly baffled. It's probably sloshing around in the pan on hard cornering and braking.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by kpm; 10-17-2011 at 11:55 AM.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #3

A faulty AOS (air/oil separator) can cause both oil on top of the engine end also the build up of oil in the intake. Check the AOS for splits or an easier quick check is to try and remove the oil filler cap with the engine idling - if the cap is difficult to remove (ie vacuum) then there is a good chance the AOS is faulty.
If you are using the car on the track, Porsche make a "competition" AOS which is probably what you should use.