Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #1

Coolant leaking wet carpet

Hi I have a coolant leak somewhere its leaking into the inside of car left hand side. Making my carpet wet where is it coming from what needs replacing thanks for any help stressing !!!!! My steering wheel is on the RIGHT side LOL.....

Bellster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #2

A frequent cause of coolant leak is hairline cracks in the reservoir. Start there and work down the system. I would let a mechanic do it but you may have the time and/ or inclination to do it yourself.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:18 AM   #3

Your AC condensation drain is pluged, and leaking into your car, is my guess. Are you sure it's coolant? When the AC is running, do you see it draining under the car?
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #4

Flavor is most likely correct; unless you can confirm that the wetness contains coolant (it has a pronounced smell and oily feel), your AC system drains are plugged and condensation is dripping inside the car rather than underneath it.

If it does turn out to be coolant, it will be your heater core leaking, the coolant tank cannot leak into the passenger compartment. Fortunately, the Boxster has to be one of the easiest heater cores to swap out, so even that would not be a major issue.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #5

Can you tell from the hashmark if the coolant level is low ? I had a slow leak until it all came out and the dash started blinking one morning. The mechanics found a hairline crack in the tank.
The coolant had been flushed a year eralier and it's possible that some air was in the line and caused the rupture. That's just a guess based on what one forum member said is a common occurence a year after a flush. Either way that's a common issue on these cars and the repair is pricey depending labor. $300 for the part and about the same or more to replace the coolant.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #6

Guys, he has a leak inside the passenger's compartment...........
Old 10-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #7

Bellster, this might help you, Just flip for ROW car:
Attached Images

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #8

Its is coolant its green colour carpet wet green colour and red light comes on dash to top up coolant so YES coolant.... Still can't find about to pull everthing apart thanks for all the help well let ya know how I go...
Old 10-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #9

Garage
Heater core?
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #10

Drainage lines all clear so what now will it be the heater core leaking if so where do I look now to find leak ?? No leakages for tanks all holding coolant !!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellster View Post
Drainage lines all clear so what now will it be the heater core leaking if so where do I look now to find leak ?? No leakages for tanks all holding coolant !!
Fastest way is to pressure test the system while opening up the cowl area from the front trunk. The pressure test will confirm the cooling system is leaking with in moments, looking down into the compartment containing the heater core should visually confirm that is where the leak is. From there it is a matter of swapping out parts and purging the air from the cooling system, it is also a good time to do a complete cooling system dump and refill..........
Old 10-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #12

Thanks heaps guys new heater core coming from US under $300 with shippment to the front door...Let you know how it goes but Boxster in shed till part replaced...
Old 10-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #13

Heater core fitted 2 hours labour, now clean up carpet.....
Old 10-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #14

All good heater core fitted 2 hours labour, now clean up carpet....