Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #1

Steering Column Indicator Stalk assembly Questions.

It finally happened.... my indicator stalk on the steering column has finally gone kaput... I've been worried about this for a year now, since turning the steering and setting the indicator produces a very unsavioury noise... Now, the indicator no longer holds on the right turn signal and doesn't cancel on the left turn.

Questions:
1. I have the 3 stalk version with the M659 OBC option but without cruise control. Can I use the 4 stalk version with cruise and OBC ? Are the fittings and connectors the same ? (I'm ok to have the CC stalk that won't work - I'm not thinking of doing the CC hack). The reason I'm doing this is that for some reason the 3 stalk OBC version is VERY expensive and the 4 stalk version is over $120 cheaper. Pay more for less ???? !!

2. Given the above symptoms - are there any options to just repair or replace just the indicator light stalk ?? The rest works just fine.

3. Just to be sure - Are the stalks the same orientation for LHD and RHD cars ? My RHD version has the Indicator stalk on the Left upper, the OBC on the Left lower and the wiper functions on the Right. Is this the same on the US cars ??

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #2

Or can I just buy the standard car 2 stalk version and "transfer" the obc stalk from my current one to the 2 stalk version ?

From the pictures, it looks like the obc stalk is either screwed or bolted to the bottom of the entire steering column switch.. Really can't tell from the photos if the wiring connector from the obc is separate or not.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #3

The OBC is the ONLY stalk which can be transplanted... and it's not available separately from Porsche.

Get a 2-stalk unit and transplant your OBC stalk.

But, you'll also need to replace the columns dust covers as well and these are avialable at minimal cost.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:29 AM   #4

Thank you for the feedback ! Time to order the steering column stalks.