Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2005, 10:23 PM   #1

Thumbs down Please Help ! Digital Speedometer Light

Dear Porsche owners
Yesterday Digital Speedometer Lights went down. I can see the speed and computer dispay, however it is not so bright, give an impression of rather reflection than actual reading. So if there is a sun, i am good, however if its dark, i am not be able to see anyhing.
How i can solve this problem, any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.
zagit

zagit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:41 AM   #2

zagit, you probably have a burned out bulb. You need to remove the instrument cluster and replace it. Details and pictures on how to remove the cluster are found here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_OBD_Mod/box_obd_mod.htm

This pelican parts page is for another mod, but it will help you get to the point where you can change the bulb in the middle. I've attached a photo of the back of the cluster and the bulb's location.

You will need to get a replacement lamp from your friendly Porsche dealership parts counter. Probably costs around 4 or 5 bucks. I'd take the old one (or the whole cluster for that matter) in to get the new one if you have a second car. This way, you can be sure you are getting the right bulb... the parts guys do their best to know their stuff, but I've found numerous Porsche parts labeled wrong or I'm given the wrong thing accidentally. This will just save you a 2nd trip to the dealership.

PS - I want to be just like Toolpants when I grow up. I'm building my picture library every day!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:38 AM   #3

Smile thank you very much Sir

RandallNeighbour, thank you very much for such a quick very informative response.
Now i feel myself in real circle of friendly owners. Hopefully i will become in future such a helpful and careful member of this forum like a RandallNeighbour. Thank you Sir. Thank you very much.
zagit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:16 AM   #4

You may want to check all of your ground connections for corrosion too. That would cause some dimming if the bulb's not out (along with several other potential electrical gremlins).

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote