Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #1

dead battery

Help...i have an 02 base boxster i have a 110mA draw when all is to be off. i think 50mA is normal.

if i do not active any car functions such as doors ect......i get 20mA good. but if i open passenger side door and wait for light to go out i get the 110mA draw but what i notice when disconnecting the batter from meter a click i looked/listened at all relays front and back area. i cant pinpoint the source to me some thing is activated but will to release. i have waited for hours monitoring the current no change....any ideas

Thanks

ht986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Ex Esso kid

Vestal where they make the best speedies in the world Vestal? I would try taking each fuse out one by one and observe that meter, perhaps you can narrow it down.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #3

did that......the only thing i noticed was power locks took off 20mA....still to high.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Ex Esso kid

Does it have any aftermarket switches, radio changes, alarm, remote start or the like? Do you drive it daily? If you only use it for pleasure best momentary fix is buying a good float charger, leaving the battery exposed and plugging it in when not in use at home. I realize that isn't ideal but you won't get stranded somewhere in the meantime. Electrical problems are some of the hardest to chase down, good luck.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #5

the car is factory....it just bugs me i want it right.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #6

approximately how long will it does it take for the instrument panel lights to shut off if you open and close the driver side door? not starting car just open and close the door lights go off but interment panel stays on......what relay and location controls the instrument panel.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
I had 2 problems over the years that caused the battery to go flat. The first was a sticky rear trunk light switch that would sometimes keep the light on. The other was a failed ign switch that kept some circuits active even with key out. Both fixes were cheap and easy once I discovered the problem.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #8

the ing switch is fairly new but i will revisit the trunk circuit......one thing i noticed regarding trunk and hood switch in interior driver side floor never go off i pulled the switches and hand no change in current draw but i do not remember them being on all the time in the past ???

Thanks
Old 11-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
Vista glass

Garage
I was searching like you for an electrical draw. I suspected the frunk lamp. I put my phone in the frunk recording video pointed at the light, closed the frunk. The video helped me pinpoint my problem.
Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:23 AM   #10

cool idea...
i took truck and hood lamps out....the way i check enclosed suspect lamps is open say truck and touch lamp and see if hot....be careful also use laser heat probe...safer