Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #1

Oil leakage on 2000S engine

I have a 2000 Boxster S I purchased 2 years ago with 64K on it. It now has 72K and last year got the 15K check and break bleed. This year went in for the oil change and the service technician showed me oil leaks at the rear engine seal and other locations.

Bottom line is spark plug seals and the engine oil seal and other misc items (and while the clutch is out to do the oil seal a new clutch). I am sure this was not done before. There did appear to be "significant" oil on the engine (looking from underneath while on the rack). Cost for the seals, spark plug seals, clutch, oil change is on the order of $2900.

I love the car and have never had any other problems with it. Does this occurrance with a 11 year old 72K mile Boxster sound "normal"? Just looking for some confirmation in getting this taken care of.

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #2

In a nutshell....Yes

I would also do the LN Engineering IMS retrofit while they have the clutch out. You never know this could be a blessing in disguise and save you from having the engine go boom!
Old 07-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #3

Garage
Ditto on the LN Engineering IMS Bearing upgrade… Do it since you are in there.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #4

Yes

RMS is a known point of oil leak. And you are at the car's age where it starts to need proactive maintenance in order to have a long life. The RMS they use now is an improved part. And yes do the LN IMS while you have the trans off.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #5

You have an 11 year old car and you're asking if it needs maintenance?
Old 07-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #6

Not a bad price...new clutch assembly, replace seals, replace other seals. Parts are about half the cost.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote