986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Any Ideas? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29750)

DerCon 07-20-2011 08:01 AM

Any Ideas?

Hi All, I am new to this forum having recently purchased a 2000 boxster S. I am a long time porsche fan having had several 911's in the past and a 996 currently. The car was a bit shoddy when I got it but I spent a few days under it replacing the spark plugs, all filters, oil, all 4 disks, new brake pads, new radiator, new alloys etc. I was delighted with the outcome for a half an hour test drive but when I tried to use the car the following day it would not do anything other than idle. No response from the accelerator at all. I guessed it may have been the MAF sensor so I unplugged it and yes the car would rev and drive albeit very roughly when cold. I bought a replacement MAF sensor and installed it only to find that I now am back to the situation where the accelerator does not work again. I plugged the car into a diagnostic and got no fault codes. In one of the test results, I did get an absolute throttle position of 100%. I contrasted this to my 996 911 result which was 0% absolute throttle position. Only other thing of note is that there is a pronounced click when the key goes to the on position from the e-gas throttle body. Is that normal in the boxster? Thanks for any help in advance.

boxster6354 07-20-2011 08:25 AM

Check your coil packs, the cable that connects to the coil pack was not firmly connected back when you changed your plugs.

Ask me how I know ;-)

DerCon 07-20-2011 10:51 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Boxster. I just redid all those connections but still no joy. The starter is turning, I get a little bit of smoke out the rear and then nothing. It's as if there is no petrol in the car. I even put some gas into the car despite the fuel guage reading half, just in case the guage was gone faulty! LOL. I have checked fuel pump and fuel filter and they too are fine. Hmmmmmmm

Jager 07-20-2011 05:05 PM

Was the battery disconnected at any time?
You might need to reset your egas? Try these steps and see what happens:

Turn car off

Turn ignition on (Do not start) (DO NOT TOUCH THE GAS PEDAL)

Wait about a minute (you'll hear the throttle motor run in the engine compartment)

Turn key off (remove key) wait for at least 30 seconds.

Start car and see if it's fixed.
While performing egas adaptation you should be able to hear throttle body motor (based on your previous post you can hear it). If you don’t, keep cycling the key until you hear the motor on the throttle body engage. I have read where this has taken a few turns of the key for some reason.

clickman 07-20-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerCon
Only other thing of note is that there is a pronounced click when the key goes to the on position from the e-gas throttle body.

If you do some research on this and related forums, you'll find that a glitchy ignition switch can cause all kinds of problems.