Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #1

Rear speaker kit installation (I thought the harness was already there??)

Gents,
In the middle of installing the rear speaker kit and I'm to the point where I need to connect the speaker harness to "something". I was under the impression there was a "hidden" harness already in place for use with hardtops/rear speakers??

The kit came with a wiring harness thing and the directions have me removing seat belt covers, door sills, passenger dash undersides, oh my!

what's the deal? anyone else install this kit? I have an aftermarket radio installed already. The included pictures (while appreciated) are in black and white and are hardly clear enough to make out what's what.

help me! lol

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #2

I installed rear speakers through a kit I bought on ebay a couple of months ago. You have to wire the harness from the back to either the radio or the amp in the front trunk. I routed mine to the front trunk.

It is a pain but overall pretty simple - just time consuming. Some people route the harness through the center console to make it easier but I did mine per instructions through the passengers side door.

It makes a difference - the sound is more equalized and not just coming from the dash.

Derek
DAP986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #3

Ok so I have the included harness cable routed properly and I need to connect it to my headunit, problem is, directions are for a stock radio.

I'm not that great at the wiring radio stuff... can someone help me out on which wires need to go where in the included brown connector?

here's some pics of what i'm looking at:
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #4

Got it all installed. Quickly consulted the wiring diagram of my headunit (a Pioneer. Thanks Crutchfield!) and found the + and - wires of each connector. Got it all buttoned up and it sounds great.

However, my Front to Back fade does not really work. When I go "Back", it just quiets the fronts, but does not actually move it to the rear. The speakers are working fine however.

I think it's a worthy upgrade. The installation looks VERY clean (stock if you didn't know better) and wasn't terribly hard. The ebay seller I bought from (Harvey) was really awesome and I'm very pleased with everything.

So now I have two recent audio upgrades, the Chan muffler and the speakers! Love em both!