986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bilstein PSS9 or KW suspension (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29714)

Pinarelloman 07-16-2011 12:45 PM

Bilstein PSS9 or KW suspension

The time has come to upgrade my suspension. I will be in the USA in October and looking to buy either a PSS9 or KW version 2/3.
Does anyone have any recommendation, one way or the other?
I am leaning to PSS9, but open to ideas.
Over here PSS9 will cost me about $3900 AUD, I can buy it for $2400 from Pelican Parts.
Anywhere else in CA where I can buy suspension reasonably cheap?

The KW 2 will cost me $2800 here. The version 3 $3500.

What are the thoughts of you guys? Have you tried either/both. Is the Bilstein kit overpriced for what you get?
Thanks.

Johnny Danger 07-16-2011 01:17 PM

The have PSS-9's on my vehicle, and I've been very pleased with them. Either would be a significant improvement over the oem suspension .

DFW02S 07-16-2011 03:07 PM

You should be able to get the KW3 over here for 2,400 AUD - unless the dollar collapses between now and then and that's an even money bet.
Just tell the dealer that you're going back to Oz and you won't ruin his pricing in this market.
He should take the short margin just for the cash flow.

I had the KW3 on another car and loved it. I'm sure I'd feel the same way about the PSS-9 on this car.

AndyA6 07-16-2011 04:23 PM

For a simple reason I would take the PSS9:- There are a lot of posts (here and on other sites) how to set up properly. Very valueable info! I am sure the KW 3 are awesome as well but not so much documented (for the Boxster) on the net. I had KW on one of my other vehicles and the set up is really nice but I repeat my point, set up info.......

DFW02S 07-16-2011 05:12 PM

Sold!
Thanks Andy, that's an excellent point.

Can you adjust both rebound and damp on the PSS-9?

Pinarelloman 07-16-2011 09:19 PM

I believe you can only adjust rebound on PSS9's. The PSS10 which are not available for Boxsters are adjustable for both.

DFW02S 07-17-2011 05:23 AM

Bilstein's site says you're right Pinarelloman.

Advantage KW, at least for me unless the 10's come out for the Boxster.

Gilles 07-17-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinarelloman
I believe you can only adjust rebound on PSS9's. The PSS10 which are not available for Boxsters are adjustable for both.

On the KW-V3's you can adjust compression and rebound.

Some guys switched from the PSS9's to the KW-V3 because the KW-V3 have slightly higher spring rates than the PSS9's and are more suitable for the track, but if you leave the KW-V3's on the factory recommended settings these are great on the street.

However IMHO, either one you choose would be a great improvement over the stock suspension

Topless 07-18-2011 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinarelloman
The time has come to upgrade my suspension. I will be in the USA in October and looking to buy either a PSS9 or KW version 2/3.
Does anyone have any recommendation, one way or the other?
I am leaning to PSS9, but open to ideas.
Over here PSS9 will cost me about $3900 AUD, I can buy it for $2400 from Pelican Parts.
Anywhere else in CA where I can buy suspension reasonably cheap?

The KW 2 will cost me $2800 here. The version 3 $3500.

What are the thoughts of you guys? Have you tried either/both. Is the Bilstein kit overpriced for what you get?
Thanks.

It really depends on how you plan to drive the car. Most adjustable struts don't ever see much adjustment so lots of options might/might not have value. Drivers typically just set em and forget em. I have PSS9s but I am not sure they are any better than M030 ROW for a street car on street tires. Once you start using R-comps or slicks, having more dampening control becomes important. More important than which struts you choose is getting the setup right.