Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #1

(Fast Response Needed) 2000 non-S Muffler Removal

Gents,
Got almost all the bolts/nuts off the stock muffler on the box (MY00 base). There are like 9000 tutorials online, but all have different info. Is there anything attached to the transmission itself?

I removed the 2 nuts on the underside hanger, but (without removing bumper) I can't see what's up top. This is where most tutorials differ.

Is there anything up there to disconnect or is it just the U-bend pipes holding it on at this point?

*Typing this from under the box*

Thanks guys.

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

two nuts on top hanger attached to tranny.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #3

Garage
Does this photo help?
Attached Images

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #4

wow those look fun.

it looks like the bolts come out with the muffler, so it's the nuts that need to be loosened on the front side (front of car) of the bracket?

Is it a 13mm like the rest of them?

wish me luck. not sure how people are able to do that with the bumper on, but we'll see!
Old 07-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #5

Garage
I was able to remove the muffler with the bumper on but I'm sure it's easier with the bumper off.

300K Mile Club
Old 07-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #6

i'm looking for a nut on the "engine" side of that mount right? not sure a socket is working for me.. is an open-ended wrench better for that one?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #7

Garage
Yes, it's a nut on the engine side and it's 13mm. A socket will work, you will probably need a small extension to get the correct distance to turn the wrench.

300K Mile Club
Old 07-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #8

there is a brace with either three or four bolts (depending on S or Non S). this brace the bolted to the nose on the tranny. to this brace, there are two screws on the top/center of the bar hanger. The bar brace is held on by two bolts on either side of the round mounting bushing.

Choices,
Remove the tranny brace
remove the 2 nuts in the top center of bar brace
remove the bar brace at the ends ( two bolts each side)
remove the bumper.

I suggest to remove the bumper, I have done it every way listed, and I can promise you in the time it takes you to squeeze and cut your hands up, you can have the bumper off and install the muffler.

after market mufflers can be put on and off without bumper removal because you can get to the top bolts very easily.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #9

found em!
piece of cake!! used a "mid-deep" socket and it worked like a charm.

one arm above the second cat on, one (fingers only) holding the wrench tight to the nut head.

got the muffler off now, but I see that the stock bolts in the topside have to stay with the stock muffler.

andddd since the new muffler didn't come with new hardware (it was pictured... sent a nasty gram to the ebay seller), I have to run to the hardware store to get 2 new bolts. There's a lot of room to get up there now with the new muffler, so re-installation shouldn't be a problem.

will let you know how it goes!!

thanks fellas
Old 07-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #10

Good luck...I removed the bumper cover when I swapped my muffler; I think it makes it considerably easier.
Attached Images

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #11

got it all back together.
re-install was WAY easier than removal, but removal wasn't terrible. was able to do it with the bumper on, but i have girly arms/hands so I was able to maneuver myself pretty easily to get at the top 2 bolts.

the sound is great!

idle and sub-35mph it's very low and throaty. between 35 and 65 it sounds like the stock muffler (to me anyway). from 65-70mph there's a definite drone, but not a "show stopper". 70 and up, the drone turns into a more stock sounding exhaust note and is not as quiet as stock (which was REALLY quiet), but not drone'y (made that word up )

next project... water pump!

for others that may come along:
I was able to do the entire removal and installation with the end on ramps. there was PLENTY of room in the rear once on ramps. I also used an air wrench which shaved off about 20 minutes of hand-wrenching.

at 72k miles (MY00 base), all my stock hardware came out EASILY! I sprayed them with penetrating spray WHILE I was removing them (ie: not prep spray) and they broke loose and came out with ease. Was able to re-use all my hardware with no problems at all.

also, if not for anything else, the swap was worth the weight savings alone... that stock muffler is a BIG honkin' thing. Had each muffler in each hand and was having to "lean" over to keep the stock one lifted (im a girly man.. see note above, but still). tidies up the rear underside a bit too.