986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ignition Switch Weirdness, and a Happy Ending (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29590)

Banana S 07-06-2011 03:51 PM

Ignition Switch Weirdness, and a Happy Ending

I noticed over the weekend that my ignition switch was feeling alternately really loose and really stubborn, and that it was starting to become difficult to remove the key from the ignition sometimes. I had lubricated the ignition cylinder with graphite once last year, but it appeared that I was still going to need a new ignition switch. Bummer.

Then I started to notice some other problems:
- My A/C button appeared not to be functioning. (The little snowflake would not light on the display.)
- The blower for the vents would not work while the car was running, no matter where the fan setting was set.
- And the seat heaters suddenly stopped working.

Other than that, the car was running perfectly. Weird. My car suddenly just hates me.

I called the local Porsche dealer yesterday and explained the symptoms, and he said it was all likely related to the faulty ignition switch. I took the car in today, and they replaced the ignition switch/steering lock assembly, and now everything works fine. Not going to pretend that I understand how a bad mechanical switch can make the blower not work, even though the car still starts, but I'm glad it's fixed.

And the happy ending? With this repair, the extended warranty I bought when I purchased the car from CarMax has now more than paid for itself. (Price of the 5-year, 100,000-mile warranty: $2,089.00. (The car had 40,000 miles on it when I bought it in October 2008.) Repairs paid for to date by MaxCare: $2,199.40. And I still have over 2 years and 42,500 miles to go before the extended warranty runs out. Woo hoo! :cool: )

san rensho 07-06-2011 05:35 PM

What was the bill fio the ignition switch/assmbly.

Banana S 07-06-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by san rensho
What was the bill fio the ignition switch/assmbly.

$168.50 in parts, $322.00 in labor.

sasha055 07-06-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banana S
$168.50 in parts, $322.00 in labor.

Holy crap! I'm glad your warranty paid for it.

It's a 12$ part and 20 min of labor (30 with cursing if you're over 6' tall)

Banana S 07-06-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasha055
Holy crap! I'm glad your warranty paid for it.

It's a 12$ part and 20 min of labor (30 with cursing if you're over 6' tall)

No, the electrical portion ONLY is a $12 part. Different part number. The dealership replaced the entire ignition switch/steering lock assembly, P/N 996-347-017-07. It retails for $172.75 on Pelican Parts. Different design, and much sturdier. I don't expect to have to replace the ignition switch again for the life of the car.

But yes, I'm definitely glad the warranty paid for it. ;)

vegas986er 07-16-2011 12:04 PM

I have the same problem

I've had my boxster for 3.5 years and the seller didn't tell me about it. When I turn on the car the A/C doesn't work and neither do the headlights. I learned that when I turn the key 1/4 inch towards the off position everything works fine. I don't know why it works but it does.

Any opinions?

sparker 07-16-2011 01:49 PM

Same problem is usually the same solution... Pick up a new ignition switch (just the electrical part is needed)

Sam