Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #1

Interior Mods Begin!

Well, after taking care of the mechanical issues on my 02 base model, I figured it was time to start to tackle the interior. I am amazed at how simple and easy it is to get this car in pieces. Its almost like a snap together model kit

First order of business is to add some aluminum look to the trim parts. There was waaay too much black in my car. I've already ordered some bezel rings but I wanted to do more. So i've decided to have a bunch of trim pieces color matched to the aluminum door handles.

I removed the parts last night and are now at my buddy's auto body shop for painting. I gave him the shifter knob for color matching.

Before the teardown:

After the teardown:

Parts off to the paint shop:

I should have these back by Friday so I'll post some photos of how well they were able to color match them.

Cheers!

Mark

Appleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #2

Good work, I bet it looks great when you're done.

You've done 90% of the work, you should install the Top Speed Pro short shifter. It's great fun.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-986-Boxster-97-05-Short-Shifter-Shifters-L-K-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem56389b59fdQQitemZ37031 6892669QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Looking forward to seeing it done, Mark!
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:51 AM   #4

WOW.... You jumped right in there. Looking forward to seeing the results.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
pk2

Good work apple guy.

Call me crazy cause I must be. I'm midway through fitting an entire 9x7 interior into my 99 986. Some custom leather to boot! Probably start posting pics soon.

Bird of a feather...PK
Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. Hopefully it turns out as i envisioned.

pk2, let's see some photos! I always dig seeing what others are doing as well (mostly so I can get some ideas )

Cheers

mark
Old 07-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
pk2

Thanks for your interest Appleguy,

So many pics. so much Photoshopping to make them coherent. I think I may start a thread (with a link to yours) so as not to "hijack" yours. Thanks for the inspiration to keep moving.

In the mean time a pic of a preliminary dash fit up shortly.

Regards, PK
Old 07-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #8

Update #1

I am scheduled to get the parts around 4 today. The painter confirmed that the Arctic Silver was a very close match to the trim. He did say that he "played around" with the color mix to get it even closer, so we'll see what happens.

I'll post photos later on tonight

Cheers

mark

Last edited by Appleguy; 07-12-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #9

Update #2

Well I got the parts back on Saturday and installed them into the car... and... well... I didn't like it. The silver color, even tho it was really close to the aluminum look, it wasn't perfect and it bothered me to no ends.

Thus, i've gone back to the drawing boards and have decided on having my center console color matched to the Carrera White body color (excuse the iPhone photo).

The other parts that were painted silver are being replaced with standard black parts. Parts have been ordered and should all be here this week.

I know its a costly decision, but, in my book, if it's not right, its not right.

Cheers

Mark

Last edited by Appleguy; 07-12-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Looks like your paint guy does nice work. Looking forward to seeing the project completed!
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #11

I'd say that was a good decision. I've never thought the silver painted bits look any good, but colour coded to match the body usually looks really super...

I've been thinking about having my centre console painted body colour and then painting some of the other bits gloss black, like the large plastic moulding that surrounds the aircon controls / centre air vents / stereo and the air vents either side. Some people colour code those bits, too, but I reckon it usually looks a bit too much. Another idea is get a new gear lever gaiter and have the stitching in body colour. Having the seat stitching in body colour would be good, too, but obviously not cheap.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #12

Update #3

It's christmas in July :dance:

My new/used surround came in yesterday as did my new stereo. Hopefully tonight I'll get some free time from my children so I can trim out the center section of the surround to fit the double din cage and "maybe" get the new Pioneer installed. More than likely this will have to wait until the weekend.

Going back to black (note my pile of parts to be thrown away in the upper right hand corner! )

Rocking the Pioneer AVH-P3300BT!